Old 06-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Heating and A/C both run when trying to run heater only (Solved)

We have a new, 2012, Forester 2651s.

When I'm plugged into shore power or running the generator for power the furnace and air conditioner both come on when I select the 'Furnace' setting on the wall panel. If I set it for 'Fan' or 'Cooling' the A/C unit works ok, but when I select 'Furnace' the heater and the A/C both come on and there is no way to turn the A/C off. The furnace works properly when we are using the house batteries with no 120v connections.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Taking a guess, you are not the first to post this, so a search may help. I think the answer is to put the fan on Auto. At least that is what my memory tells me with a certain thermostat. Might help to now the model of your thermostat.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #3

Thank you for your help windrider. It took me a few minutes of playing around with the thermostat to figure out how to set the fan to Auto, but that fixed the problem.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #4

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the answer but I read somewhere that when using the furnace, the auto mode will turn the fan on also to alleviate any moisture that may develop. Mold is such a big concern in these vehicles that it may be a good thing. I was told by my dealer before I found this answer that I should take it off the auto mode. I don't really think the dealer knew what they were talking about. So, I really think it's just the fan working when the heat is on.

I hope this is helpful or maybe I'll learn from someone else. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #5

Mold is not a big issue here in California. I think the humidity is normally about 15% or less during the summer and slightly higher in the winter. In addition, I don't think the A/C will extract moisture when it is set to the Fan setting (I may be wrong). It seems to me the moisture would only be extracted from the vehicle when the A/C is set to Cool and the inside air is recirculated through the A/C.

Last weekend we were visiting relatives just north of Bakersfield, CA and it was 106 degrees in the shade of the tree we were sitting under. The motor home A/C couldn't keep up with the outside temps and the coolest we got inside the MH was 88 degrees.

By the way, this might be worth repeating for some of you. We have a Dometic LCD thermostat in the motor home. When the outside temperature hit 109 (in the sun) last weekend the thermostat displayed an error E2 when I tried to turn the A/C on. This error means the thermostat is overheated and it will not turn the A/C on. Seems the best fix it to put some ice in a zip lock bag and hold it on the thermostat.