Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egorsurf View Post
Check your 12V battery charge sounds like the gas valve is not opening that is controlled by the circuit board that needs 12 volt DC very common problem I have seen. Good Luck
It's interesting that you say this. My husband actually claimed the tanks were empty because he went to the valve and turn on the gas after disconnecting it and when he didn't hear or smell gas, he assumed they were empty. They aren't, they just have a safety that doesn't allow gas out when not connected. I don't know enough to ask him if he changed anything as far as the connection goes. The gas was hooked up though, which is why the stove worked. Not sure why only the fridge wouldn't ignite.

ETA: The battery was running perfectly and was even hooked up to a battery charger so that we are ready for our trip tonight.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #22

Since it worked manually, then there is no problem with gas flow. Since you heard the spark, that's not the problem.
My guess is that it's not aligned in the gas stream correctly.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #23

Check to make sure the battery disconnect is not engaged.
wellsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #24

The new refrigerators all have electronic ignition. The 12 volt board gets a signal from the thermostat as to when to ignite and heat the refrigerant to lower the interior temperature of the box. IF, the interior temperature is cold, then the igniter and gas valve will not be called on for use. When the box temp warms above operating temp it will trigger the spark igniter and the gas valve to ignite and cool down the box again. You will have no flame in the gas mode if the box is at operating temperature.
If you have had the refrig. operating on house current and you switch it to gas it will most likely not ignite right away since it is already cooled down by AC operation.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #25

Boy Howdy, the troubleshooters in this thread need to read the previous responses a bit more closely. She said early on the ignitor was clicking.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Boy Howdy, the troubleshooters in this thread need to read the previous responses a bit more closely. She said early on the ignitor was clicking.
Ha... so true, diesel. But that may be asking too much. I've seen an OP write back that a suggestion had solved his problem and the next 3-4 posts offered other solutions. Then I've seen moderators post "Hey, guys. This problem was declared solved back up at post xx."

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
I'll answer this as best I can. It ran on gas before our trip 2 weeks ago, and then turned onto electric at the campsite. It sat for 2 weeks and then we attempted to light it yesterday. Can you elaborate on the No pilot on newer models part? We could see the flame attempting to ignite last night but nothing happened. You could even hear the puff of flame but it never caught and would then start the cycle again. Hope that makes sense.
This response contains clues as to what's happening:
1. Spark igniter is working - "see flame attempting to ignite"
2. Gas is reaching the burner area - "puff of flame"
3. Actual problem: "puff of flame"

A propane fridge with electric ignition should NEVER ignite with a "puff of flame." This symptom occurs when the propane at the spark igniter assembly reaches a critical density and the spark igniter causes it to explode. I know of two problems that cause this.
1. The tube between the air/fuel mixing area and the burner is clogged - usually the result of insect intrusion. Spider webs can be blown out but nest type stuff could block the burner if you attempt to blow it through the tube.
2. Gas from the jet assembly isn't entering the tube. There's four possible causes for this: Strong winds blowing through the mixing area (a possibility), a misaligned burner tube (very unlikely because it worked last week), an effect of high altitude (usually only in the Rocky Mountains), and finally a partially blocked gas jet which will cause gas to flow around the burner tube instead of into it.

If the gas burner doesn't light normally after you got it started, especially with a new unit, take it in for service. The repair is covered under the new unit warranty.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #28

Hey all,

After we manually got it lit, we had a great weekend camping. Anyhow, when we were ready to leave, the fridge lit on gas with no problems. Not sure what the issue was but everything was in great working order on our trip.

Here's a few photos of our first outing to a new place in our TT.

Thanks again for the help.

Tags
fridge