Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #1

Help explain how to hook up multiple tv's in a sandpiper

We have a new 2014 sandpiper 380bh5. It has 4 coax hookups at the docking station outside. They are park cable, sat front, sat main, and sat rear. I guess the question that I have is can I use out tailgater sat to run a tv in bedroom, living room, and bunkhouse at the same time on the same channel. It also has a coax output in the storage area outside. I would really like to put a small tv there too. The antenna on top of the camper is hooked to the bedroom up front. It has the push button with the light on it up front. The front bed room is the only place I can get the tailgater to work. Is there any way if can split out of the front bedroom and go to the living room then split out of the living room and go to the bunkhouse. Any input would really be appreciated. Thanks Steven

Old 04-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #2

You have to move the reciever box to each area you want to watch TV and change input outside at the docking station. Cable TV is a distributive system, so when you put a signal on the park cable input it goes to all the coax outputs. Satellite is a single system for various reasons, but mostly because the LNB at the antenna needs power to operate it. To get your Tailgater to work at your front, main and rear locations you will have to move the reciever box to each of these locations when you want to use that location. With my Tailgater I use a HDMI splitter to route the TV signal from the satellite box to 2 different TVs.

Cable is easy for signal distribution, satellite is not.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

Why can I only get sat to work in the front. I've tried the main sat connection in the living room and I've tried it in the bunkhouse with the receiver in both places and can't get it to work. Also were does the component cable go in the bunkhouse. There is a set of component in the living room also. The one in the living room I think is hooked to the radio under the tv.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #4

You should be able to run a 3 way splitter from the single coax coming from the sat dish. You will first need to run it to your receiver, then from the receiver output you add the splitter. One side of the splitter will have a single input (from receiver) other side will have 3 outputs, You will need 3 additional coax cables, one cable for bedroom, living room & bunkhouse. This should work. I run this set up (with a 2 way splitter) in my house for my sat dish.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

Why not connect the tailgater to the park cable input and receiver to where the park cable terminates in your unit and run a jumper from receiver out back to that termination point? If it is all coax you would not have HD but you will have SD viewing on all tv's.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

When I connect to park cable with sat and try every coax port inside I get no response. Maybe something is wired wrong in the camper. Is there anywhere you can get a drawing on how the coax is run and where junction boxes are located in the walls of the camper.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

Are you going directly from the sta dish into the receiver? I think you need to go through the receiver & then into the park cable input for the signal to work correctly.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #8

So I need to figure out how to get the coax from tailgater to sat receiver inside camper then out of receiver back to docking station and plug into park cable and then I will have sat tv at all locations but it will be the same channel.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

I would hook it up temporarily outside to make sure it works the way I described before buying everything and running cables in and out and all over the place. If you just get the plitter and one cable to go from the splitter to the camper input and make sure that works. Move that one cable to each of the other inputs and make sure they all work that way also. If all is good then you can invest the time and energy into running the permanent cables.

Yes, you would have the same channel on all tv's. If you wanted different channels you would need a new LNB on the sat dish with 2, 3 or 4 LNBs. I don't know how that would work as I only have a single LNB at my house and I do not use it on the camper.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #10

Ok I'll try that this afternoon and let you know how it works out. Thank you so much for the info and help. Steven.

Tags
sandpiper