Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15
Help on Satellite Purchase

Looking to purchase a DISH receiver and satellite. 1) What service would you recommend? DISH or Direct TV; 2) which satellite antenna would you advise?

Woody1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
Herk7769's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 19,813
And here I thought you wanted your own RHYOLITE NROL-26 Satellite.
USA-202 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 855
It all depends on what you want to watch and which will give you the best deal today. lots of people like Dish, same for DirecTV. Pick a provider. The antennas are exactly the same. As for antenna systems, that all depends on whether you want HD or SD programming. for DirecTV HD you will need an oval antenna with three LNB's, basically one compatible with slimline3. A automatic rooftop antenna is a nice expensive option. We have one and can use it about 25% of the time. For the other 75% I carry a slimline3 dish and a lot of coax cable. Of course I am running two HD DVR's so need all that cable. Cheapest setup is one basic dish, one coax and one basic SD receiver. I would suggest calling both providers and ask them what it will cost per month for what you want. I just remembered Dish has a pay as you go elcheapo package offered at CW and I am sure other places. You buy the receiver and everything else, but only pay for service for the months you want it. Me I take the receivers from home.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
TURBS's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,205
Get the tailgater package from dish network.
You get
Automatic sat. Dome
All in one deal.

Pay as you use it.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15
Thanks for your replies. Very informative.
Woody1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.