Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
Average Joe

Maybe I'm missing something, too. The converter takes the AC power (120v) and converts it to DC power (12v). I'm not sure why folks are saying this could be your problem. Please enlighten me on how this could affect the AC power?

I would start at the beginning. Not assuming anything.... Are you hooked up to shore power? Are you sure there's 120v available? Do you have a surge protector? Are you sure it's working? Is your power cable plugged in?

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Not sure if I missed it, but is this only on the generator or did you also plug back into the house?

No power from either than I'd be looking at possibly the transfer switch?
No 110 in the RV when OFF generator or ON... I'm in a field right now so don't have any shore power to test with.
synergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, too. The converter takes the AC power (120v) and converts it to DC power (12v). I'm not sure why folks are saying this could be your problem. Please enlighten me on how this could affect the AC power?

I would start at the beginning. Not assuming anything.... Are you hooked up to shore power? Are you sure there's 120v available? Do you have a surge protector? Are you sure it's working? Is your power cable plugged in?
Last night I was on shore power and had a small heater plugged into a 110 plug in the R.V., I disconnected from shore power and forgot about the heater running in the R.V., I got in and it was off, I just figured it was a blown breaker...

So I drove to the VATECH / MIAMI game and I'm here, and I thought I could just reset a breaker and all would be good. NO chance... I have no 110, on generator or off, my single GFI plug in front of the sink is not tripped.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #24

I agree with our friend from Maryland. Start over by plugging into shore power and then looking at GFCI's and breakers. Remember, GFCI's cause RV'ers more confusion than anything. They may not look tripped but still are. Stupid question. Do you have an auto transfer switch or do you have to plug power cord into Generator output receptacle?

Reset GFCI's. Also, look in bathroom for GFCI and outside. I have an outlet in a storage compartment that has a GFCI. They are required by code wherever there is water, bathrooms, outside and kitchens.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #25

OOPS, didn't know you had left home already

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #26
Average Joe

It should not have tripped a breaker by simply unplugging the coach. You will only have AC power when you are plugged into shore power or you are running the generator. If you have started the generator and it has been running for a minute, it should activate the transfer switch and begin supplying AC power. If this does not happen it could be a few problems.

1) The main breaker on the generator.
2) The transfer switch didn't transfer (like previously mentioned). You may need outside help for this..
3) The breaker panel inside the could may have tripped a breaker. You had said you checked these. Any chance you turned them off?

Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, too. The invertor takes the AC power (120v) and converts it to DC power (12v). I'm not sure why folks are saying this could be your problem. Please enlighten me on how this could affect the AC power?

Not to confuse the issue, but to correct the terminology so others can understand who may be reading this:

A "converter" takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC

An "inverter" takes 12 volt DC and inverts it to 120 volt AC

http://extremervguy.com/2011/09/23/r...-need-to-know/

These two terms and their functions are often criss-crossed and thus confuse people.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My guess is the transfer switch!

Someone on here just smoked there transfer switch.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #29
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not to confuse the issue, but to correct the terminology so others can understand who may be reading this:

A "converter" takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC

An "inverter" takes 12 volt DC and inverts it to 120 volt AC

RV Converters/RV Inverters – What’s the Difference? What You Need to Know! |

These two terms and their functions are often criss-crossed and thus confuse people.
My bad... I saw inverter in the post and ran with it...CONVERTER

EDIT by wmtire: I went ahead and edited your previous post to reflect your true intention

Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #30
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
So I really think I smoked my inverter, the inverter 950W inverter, has 2 fuses, when I pull them and put them back in, the fan on the inverter spins up and then about 8 seconds later suddenly stops.. Given I have no 110 anywhere it has to be that.

I think I can live without 110 I was just worried that it would affect my ability to charge my batteries, as long as my batteries are charging I can power thru this.

I honestly want to thank all of you for helping... I'm just new and didn't want to get stranded...
Did you or someone else add an inverter or just mean converter like I did? Never heard of them coming from the factory. Could throw a fly in the ointment....

Old 10-23-2014, 02:00 PM   #31

This may be a stupid question, but is your power cord plugged directly in to the generator, or do you have an adapter between the plug and the socket in the generator?

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but is your power cord plugged directly in to the generator, or do you have an adapter between the plug and the socket in the generator?
Correct me if I'm wrong but its a motor home with on board gennie?

Turbs
Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #33

I am in agreement here, the auto-transfer switch got fried(this is the switch that transfer the coach from shore power to genny power). Disconnect your batteries, and I bet nothing works plugged in our not. I would guess the converter is fine, your post about its activity when you pull the fuse or cycle the 12 volt power is exactly what it should do if it is not getting power from a 120 volt source.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #34

Hey everyone, so here's the low down, Last night after the game I came back and I checked my DC Batteries via the status panel and the batteries were almost Empty, I rolled in my awning and pulling in my slide outs and they moved slowly so it did seem like I was low on DC power.

I turned on the heat and about 4AM the Heat stopped working and my fridge when to CHECK STATUS instead of working, The status panel at that tie said (E) Empty for Batteries.. I was running the generator all night as well.

I believe my RV is STUCK in shore line power mode. This is why.

I'm home now, and I plugged into shore line and EVERYTHING works now, Microwave, Outlets, i have 110 throughout the R.V. The minute I unplug from shore power they all stop working.

Must be the transfer switch right?

Also, I have a general question, when I'm driving, does the Alternator from my E450 Charge my DC Batteries? Cause when I got home they were reporting FULL.

is this this transfer switch?

I tossed in the pic of the converter as well, just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	65268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	65269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	65270  
Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #35
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd say yes transfer switch

Turbs
Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #36

Is this someone I can order myself and sway it out given disconnect the batteries and shore line power?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #37

Just a update, I have ordered a new transfer switch, should be here this week
Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Is this someone I can order myself and sway it out given disconnect the batteries and shore line power?
You don't have to disconnect the batteries. The only three cables coming to the transfer switch are 120 volt AC.

If you didn't get the manuals with your motorhome, you can download them from the WFCO web site.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #39

By the way, yes, the chassis alternator charges the coach batteries when the engine is running, but getting four lights on the convenience center could be misleading. It takes a slow charge overnight to fully recharge flat deep cycle batteries. The voltage will come up quickly and show full charge, but this could just be a "surface charge". You have to let the batteries "rest" for several hours with no load to get a true measure of the state of charge by reading the voltage. It takes hours for the charge to "soak into" the plates of a deep cycle battery. Check the number of lights on the convenience center the day after you have driven it and you'll get a better indication of the state of charge.

There's a good read called "The 12 volt side of Life" in the forum's Library - Power and Electrical section.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, electrical