Old 10-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
Average Joe

Maybe I'm missing something, too. The converter takes the AC power (120v) and converts it to DC power (12v). I'm not sure why folks are saying this could be your problem. Please enlighten me on how this could affect the AC power?

I would start at the beginning. Not assuming anything.... Are you hooked up to shore power? Are you sure there's 120v available? Do you have a surge protector? Are you sure it's working? Is your power cable plugged in?

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Not sure if I missed it, but is this only on the generator or did you also plug back into the house?

No power from either than I'd be looking at possibly the transfer switch?
No 110 in the RV when OFF generator or ON... I'm in a field right now so don't have any shore power to test with.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, too. The converter takes the AC power (120v) and converts it to DC power (12v). I'm not sure why folks are saying this could be your problem. Please enlighten me on how this could affect the AC power?

I would start at the beginning. Not assuming anything.... Are you hooked up to shore power? Are you sure there's 120v available? Do you have a surge protector? Are you sure it's working? Is your power cable plugged in?
Last night I was on shore power and had a small heater plugged into a 110 plug in the R.V., I disconnected from shore power and forgot about the heater running in the R.V., I got in and it was off, I just figured it was a blown breaker...

So I drove to the VATECH / MIAMI game and I'm here, and I thought I could just reset a breaker and all would be good. NO chance... I have no 110, on generator or off, my single GFI plug in front of the sink is not tripped.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #24

I agree with our friend from Maryland. Start over by plugging into shore power and then looking at GFCI's and breakers. Remember, GFCI's cause RV'ers more confusion than anything. They may not look tripped but still are. Stupid question. Do you have an auto transfer switch or do you have to plug power cord into Generator output receptacle?

Reset GFCI's. Also, look in bathroom for GFCI and outside. I have an outlet in a storage compartment that has a GFCI. They are required by code wherever there is water, bathrooms, outside and kitchens.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #25

OOPS, didn't know you had left home already

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #26
Average Joe

It should not have tripped a breaker by simply unplugging the coach. You will only have AC power when you are plugged into shore power or you are running the generator. If you have started the generator and it has been running for a minute, it should activate the transfer switch and begin supplying AC power. If this does not happen it could be a few problems.

1) The main breaker on the generator.
2) The transfer switch didn't transfer (like previously mentioned). You may need outside help for this..
3) The breaker panel inside the could may have tripped a breaker. You had said you checked these. Any chance you turned them off?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, too. The invertor takes the AC power (120v) and converts it to DC power (12v). I'm not sure why folks are saying this could be your problem. Please enlighten me on how this could affect the AC power?

Not to confuse the issue, but to correct the terminology so others can understand who may be reading this:

A "converter" takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC

An "inverter" takes 12 volt DC and inverts it to 120 volt AC

http://extremervguy.com/2011/09/23/r...-need-to-know/

These two terms and their functions are often criss-crossed and thus confuse people.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My guess is the transfer switch!

Someone on here just smoked there transfer switch.

Turbs
Old 10-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #29
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Not to confuse the issue, but to correct the terminology so others can understand who may be reading this:

A "converter" takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC

An "inverter" takes 12 volt DC and inverts it to 120 volt AC

RV Converters/RV Inverters – What’s the Difference? What You Need to Know! |

These two terms and their functions are often criss-crossed and thus confuse people.
My bad... I saw inverter in the post and ran with it...CONVERTER

EDIT by wmtire: I went ahead and edited your previous post to reflect your true intention

Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #30
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
So I really think I smoked my inverter, the inverter 950W inverter, has 2 fuses, when I pull them and put them back in, the fan on the inverter spins up and then about 8 seconds later suddenly stops.. Given I have no 110 anywhere it has to be that.

I think I can live without 110 I was just worried that it would affect my ability to charge my batteries, as long as my batteries are charging I can power thru this.

I honestly want to thank all of you for helping... I'm just new and didn't want to get stranded...
Did you or someone else add an inverter or just mean converter like I did? Never heard of them coming from the factory. Could throw a fly in the ointment....

Tags
power, electrical