Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #1

Help with Mini Fridge

Hi folks. I have in the basement of my 5th wheel an dorm size refrigerator that I added since it was the right size and the basement has a 120 v outlet next to it, but is only powered when RV is plugged into shore power. My question is! Is it possible to have this outlet or refrigerator power up when traveling and works off the TV attached to RV. Or can it also run off battery on the RV like the main fridge runs on propane the evening before we travel. Or will this run down the battery too fast? I have heard about inverters etc. But unsure how this all works. My only reason ask is it would be convenient when traveling that this mini fridge contents are cold when traveling instead of waiting to arrive and connect to shore power at my destination and water etc added takes hours to cool. Is there a solution and has anyone here done this and how.. what do I need and what are my best options or just leave things as is and let this tiny mini fridg cool down when at campsite and plugged in to shore power. Appreciate all advice and suggestions. Thanks as always Jim M
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #2

Your small frig requires 110V for operation. The only way I know of supplying that power when traveling is to either have your generator running or install a small inverter to power that frig from your batteries.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Since you have a Jayco trailer, which isn't a FR product, I have no idea what equipment you have in your Jayco.
Do you have a residential fridge, that usually has an inverter, to run it.
Unless you run a generator while towing, there's no way to run your mini fridge, unless you install an inverter to plug the mini fridge into.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Coach

Our fifth wheel has a residential fridge with an inverter to two dealer supplied batteries, so far from top of the line. we start with the fridge cold off shore power at home and have gone as long as 12 hours without issue. full amount of time it can go, I can't say. 12 hours is the longest we've pushed it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #5

Minifridge

Maybe is wasn’t real clear sorry. But this has nothing to do with the fridge in the RV. I bought a cheap dorm fridge at Walmart and it’s 120v and bought because of size that it would fit in the basement of the 5th wheel. I’m actually looking for information how to and what type of inverter to buy to solely run this Mimi fridge off the battery and looking if anyone ever did this modification. So I can keep my beer cold from the storage unit to the campground. Thanks Jim M
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
Maybe is wasn’t real clear sorry. But this has nothing to do with the fridge in the RV. I bought a cheap dorm fridge at Walmart and it’s 120v and bought because of size that it would fit in the basement of the 5th wheel. I’m actually looking for information how to and what type of inverter to buy to solely run this Mimi fridge off the battery and looking if anyone ever did this modification. So I can keep my beer cold from the storage unit to the campground. Thanks Jim M
I got that. I was just trying to let you know what kind of service you could expect if you had a similar set up. We have two marine/rv 12 volt batteries with a wfco 1000w inverter. As far as how to wire it, I'm not sure how it's wired. It's tied to both the 12 and 120 volt sides and will switch to standby when plugged into shore power.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

Dorm Fridge

I tried this with another pop-up. The fridge was rates at 100w so I thought a 400w inverter would run it. Not so. The surge of the compressor motor would stall the inverter. And compressor motors don't like the pseudo sine wave of cheap inverters. Check with the supplier of a pure sine wave inverter to see what is required to start and run your fridge.

Otherwise, cool and load it before you go and you may be OK for most trips. And secure the door before travel! Don't ask how I know!
GlennW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
Pockets

Oh come on Glenn. Sounds like an interesting story there.

I have a small VAC fridge in my outdoor kitchen. I put all the beverages in it. When I load the trailer at home, I plug into the house power. Run the fridge inside and out and then load it up. When I disconnect, the coldness of the products inside the fridge will keep things cold til our next hook up on shore power.

I also ensure the fridge door stays closed. Why, like Glenn, when I opened the outdoor kitchen door, the fridge door flew open and the contents spilled all over the ground. Thankfully it was dirt, so nothing broke. However, even with the door jammed closed, I open the outdoor kitchen door slowly keeping the fridge door closed. Then I open it slowly and stop the bottles from all sliding out. Works.

To answer the thread, the contents will stay cold til your next hook up to shore power that night.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge