Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Help with oven

Hi, I could use some help getting my magic chef oven to work. I have a 2010 Surveyor SP295.

I can not get my pilot light to light. I have taken the gas lines apart and checked them to make sure they are open. I can get it to light but it is very weak and does not stay on. I have been pushing in the control knob as it light the pilot and hold it in for over a min. I have taken some pictures to show what I have done so far. Any help would be great.

This is the pilot line and what i thing is the thermal cople.

This is the control knob with the gas lines.

This is a plunger rhat come off one of the lines not sure of the function.

flcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Gas valve not fully opening?

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
That is what I was thinking, but not sure how to remove it or test it.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Would anyone know if there is a on line guide that would show parts and how it works?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Many times when a gas appliance will light but not stay lit when the knob is released, the thermocouple has gone bad and needs to be replaced.
bob7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
The top quarter inch of the thermocupler is really nothing. Your pilot flame has to hit a little below that. The part in your hand is the gas pressure regulator if I see it correctly. You need a strong blue flame hitting the thermo which heats up the magnet that will open the main valve after proven. You would have to measure the out put of the cuplor with a meter but it would be easier to buy a new thermo and cheaper if the flame is hitting it and turning red and still not working. if that will not work still It will most likely be your gas valve itself. You should have an adjustment screw for the pilot light if it is weak, but make sure something is not blocking the pilot hood or orfice.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Very common problem on newer gas ovens. I have found that once lit and holding a flame if I turn the burner on to around 300 degrees and let it light then turn back to pilot it will work fine. I think this actually may be more government intervention creating problems. But that is just my opinion.

donn is offline   Reply With Quote