Old 09-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Here is one that I haven't heard about!

This just happened a few hours ago. My wife and I set up our travel trailer at the campsite, not a big deal right? After hooking up electric and water to the unit, made sure hot water tank was filled, ( I know it was filled because the TT is hooked into electric at home but gas in bottles are off), and the heater switch inside the TT is off. My wife turned on the hot water to ensure the tank was full, I always double check. Low and behold hot water was coming from the kitchen sink and bathroom sink...WITH THE HEATER TANK SWITCH OFF. I put my ear next to the water heater and sure enough I could hear it working. I thought what the he**. I did turn on the heater switch and after a few minutes it turned off like it should. I looked in the manual, but nothing like this is covered. I assume that it is working fine, guess I will find out later today when the hot water tank is in use. Any THOUGHTS from anyone?

Old 09-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstorm View Post
This just happened a few hours ago. My wife and I set up our travel trailer at the campsite, not a big deal right? After hooking up electric and water to the unit, made sure hot water tank was filled, ( I know it was filled because the TT is hooked into electric at home but gas in bottles are off), and the heater switch inside the TT is off. My wife turned on the hot water to ensure the tank was full, I always double check. Low and behold hot water was coming from the kitchen sink and bathroom sink...WITH THE HEATER TANK SWITCH OFF. I put my ear next to the water heater and sure enough I could hear it working. I thought what the he**. I did turn on the heater switch and after a few minutes it turned off like it should. I looked in the manual, but nothing like this is covered. I assume that it is working fine, guess I will find out later today when the hot water tank is in use. Any THOUGHTS from anyone?
The switch inside is for propane heating. There is an a/c on/off switch outside in the water heater compartment. Open the black panel and see if you left the a/c switch in the on position.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

The switch in your cabinet controls the propane heater. On our previous 5er (A Rockwood) we also had a electric heater - the switch is outside in the hot water heater compartment. Any chance that got turned on by mistake?

BTW, it is fine to leave it on just make sure you never leave it on when the tank is empty or you will burn the element out.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #4

X3 with what has been said, when I brake camp one of my things is to turn the switch off. Here is a little nugget if you want faster recovery when showering have both the electric and propane on at the same time.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
- the switch is outside in the hot water heater compartment. Any chance that got turned on by mistake?
Quote:
( I know it was filled because the TT is hooked into electric at home but gas in bottles are off), and the heater switch inside the TT is off.
There would be the answer right there.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #6

Water stays hot a long time in those tanks. I fooled myself this spring, moving from one campground to another, about a 4 hour drive. At the new site the propane WH didn't light as it usually does when I set up. I've got the door off, reading the manuals and was logging onto the internet when it came on all by itself. The water hadn't cooled off enough yet to need more heat. Doh!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Once again the forum provides the answer. Thanks to everyone for the replies, it really helped me to understand. YES, the tank switch was on. I did not know that my water heater was heated by both a/c and gas. I turned off the switch and left the panel switch inside the TT on. Now would be better to heat with a/c only and leave the inside switch off? Save on propane, one would think.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Once again the forum provides the answer. Thanks to everyone for the replies, it really helped me to understand. YES, the tank switch was on. I did not know that my water heater was heated by both a/c and gas. I turned off the switch and left the panel switch inside the TT on. Now would be better to heat with a/c only and leave the inside switch off? Save on propane, one would think.
Yes you could save gas. However if you have only 30 amp service you may want to run off gas to save on amperages.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #9
Site Team

We use electric if we don't need a fast heat or a quick turnover. We use propane plus electric if we need a quick turnover or quick heat up. We turn propane off after done with that use. If we are on 30 Amp (fiver is 50 Amp), I will save on power draw and use propane only for the tank.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Thanks again for the replies. I am learning about the type of water heater I have, but then again isn't that what this forum is for...to learn. Thanks again.

Tags
vent