Old 08-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #11

OK. I just got the name of a guy in town who does work from his house and everyone here says he's good.

I'm going to print these responses and bring it to him (after Labor Day weekend and see if he'll fix this stuff.

I don't think it will hurt to have the squeal on the way to the camp-site and back. It's only about an hour away...

Thanks for everyone's help. (I'm not mechanical, but I hate it when I bring it in and no one believes what I say...)

KarenKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenKamper View Post
OK. I just got the name of a guy in town who does work from his house and everyone here says he's good.

I'm going to print these responses and bring it to him (after Labor Day weekend and see if he'll fix this stuff.

I don't think it will hurt to have the squeal on the way to the camp-site and back. It's only about an hour away...

Thanks for everyone's help. (I'm not mechanical, but I hate it when I bring it in and no one believes what I say...)
so how did you end up ?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

Well, I booked a flight to WI instead... LOL

But, actually, by replacing the battery, the squeal stopped. So, maybe that IS all that was needed.

Right now, after the Labor Day weekend, I have it plugged in. I will have to leave it like that til I get back from my trip. Then, unplug it and hope it was just the battery. I would still like to add the kill switch....
Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenKamper
Well, I booked a flight to WI instead... LOL

But, actually, by replacing the battery, the squeal stopped. So, maybe that IS all that was needed.

Right now, after the Labor Day weekend, I have it plugged in. I will have to leave it like that til I get back from my trip. Then, unplug it and hope it was just the battery. I would still like to add the kill switch....
Definitely add the battery disconnect!

I leave my camper plugged in all year round.
Some are not able to do that.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #15

I am not sure what it was but what I did was used a different extension cord with bigger gauge wire. I have not heard any squealing since
Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper22 View Post
I am not sure what it was but what I did was used a different extension cord with bigger gauge wire. I have not heard any squealing since
Interesting because I usually use the house connect at the site and now I'm using the 30 amp connection at the site and only use the house connect at the house.

Does anyone know how long it generally takes the battery to gain full strength?

I don't think I'll have time to mess with it before I leave, so the battery will be charging for about a month before I can get out there and disconnect it.

(Oh, how did I think I could just buy more toys and not have to mess with them??? )
Old 09-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenKamper View Post

Does anyone know how long it generally takes the battery to gain full strength?
Karen,

4-5 hours to do it right with a decent converter or the appropriate charger, but just a few hours to get to a 90% state of charge (SOC). That is the quick answer. But, that is the minimum time.

Batteries like to be charged slow and fully and then stayed charged, so its better to err on the side of charging longer than that. This is fine if you are doing it though your trailer's converter (assuming its a three-stage).

Read on if you want a little more...

The better answer is that it depends on the size of the battery, how run down it is, how much current is supplied from the converter/charger and how good that charger is - one-stage or three-stage.

So, for a small group 24 discharged to 50%, which you don't want to go below, its usually a few hours to get to 90% but then the amps drop way down and it will take several more hours to fully charge to a 100% SOC. This can be much longer with a bigger battery and much much longer with a trickle charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.GIF
Views:	57
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	19516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	19517  

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD