Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #1

High Pitch Squeal ?

We just bought a 2007 Surveyor 210T and I was out cleaning and putzing in it. Since today is very hot I turned the A/C on and the fan works, but when the AC unit goes to kick it everything in the trailer shuts off and restarts. I assume there is an inline fuse or something?
I decided to continue on cleaning and after about 20 minutes a high pitched squealing noise came from somewhere.... I had to shut off all of the fuses to make it stop.
Any ideas? I didn't have anything on when that happened, no lights, no fridge, AC ... nothing.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

Wondering if you ever found out what made the high pitch squealing noise?

I just had the Dometic frig recall completed along with other fixes (new pipes, seals, vents, mud daubers removed from air conditioner, etc) and went camping about 3 weeks ago. (The camper had been stored for about a year.)

After 2 days of camping, when we went to leave there was a high pitched squealing coming from below the frig as soon as I unplugged the trailer. It would stop when I plugged the AC trailer in, but then would start as soon as I unplugged it. Also, the frig didn't seem to switch from AC to gas even though I had it set to do so. (it should have been set correctly - frig=on, auto=on)

It sounds like some kind of warning. I asked the dealer (after driving home with the thing squealing) and they said that the battery may be dead and I would need to get a new battery, but the battery was dead before the camping trip began and it didn't squeal while unplugged.

I AM going to get a new battery this week, but, it still seems strange that the squealing would just start up after a camping trip.

I have the trailer plugged in, in the driveway, even though the frig is off (and left opened) just to keep the squealing sound off.

I usually have it plugged in unless I am storing it (then I open the frig and turn it off completely), then I unplug it and it usually doesn't "squeal".

Forest River Cardinal TT, year - 2005, Dometic Frig - recall fixed

Any help appreciated. I know enough to be dangerous...

KarenKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenKamper View Post
Wondering if you ever found out what made the high pitch squealing noise?

I just had the Dometic frig recall completed along with other fixes (new pipes, seals, vents, mud daubers removed from air conditioner, etc) and went camping about 3 weeks ago. (The camper had been stored for about a year.)

After 2 days of camping, when we went to leave there was a high pitched squealing coming from below the frig as soon as I unplugged the trailer. It would stop when I plugged the AC trailer in, but then would start as soon as I unplugged it. Also, the frig didn't seem to switch from AC to gas even though I had it set to do so. (it should have been set correctly - frig=on, auto=on)

It sounds like some kind of warning. I asked the dealer (after driving home with the thing squealing) and they said that the battery may be dead and I would need to get a new battery, but the battery was dead before the camping trip began and it didn't squeal while unplugged.

I AM going to get a new battery this week, but, it still seems strange that the squealing would just start up after a camping trip.

I have the trailer plugged in, in the driveway, even though the frig is off (and left opened) just to keep the squealing sound off.

I usually have it plugged in unless I am storing it (then I open the frig and turn it off completely), then I unplug it and it usually doesn't "squeal".

Forest River Cardinal TT, year - 2005, Dometic Frig - recall fixed

Any help appreciated. I know enough to be dangerous...
Could be the converter fan needs lubricated or replaced.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #4

Is that located under the frig? (I suppose it depends on the model, duh)

Also, there is a green light that goes on and off. If it's plugged in, no squealing = green, not plugged in, squealing = yellow (I'm pretty sure, was concentrating on the noise not the color)

It doesn't really sound like a fan as it is constant, high pitched and same level. I had my son come out and listen and he said it sounded like a "warning".

Just a little concerned as I just saw pics of someone whose Dometic frig caught on fire and burned up their motorhome... Yikes...
Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #5

Shot in the dark:

I'm uncertain just how many fuse/brekerss you pulled, and if these were the AC or DC or both.

However, did you check your converter?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #6

I didn't touch the fuse box and pull or flip the switches at all.

After camping, I unplugged the trailer from the post at the campsite when we were ready to leave. That's when the squealing started.

So, no fuses pulled, always plugged into AC either at home or at campsite. (Or completely unplugged and not used and no squealing.)

I guess what I'm hearing is that it may not be the battery, but the converter.

I will be getting a new battery anyway... but it looks like I will have to bring it back to service to check the converter as I'm not very mechanical.

I appreciate all the help.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #7

I had the same issue with my new 312BHX. The converter cooling fan made a high pitch squealing noise during our first day with the new camper. It squealed for about a minute then stopped. The main power breaker tripped. I had to re-set the main power breaker a few times because the cooling fan was not working. I brought it to the dealer and they could not get it to repeat. The cooling fan is working for now. The dealer told me they can’t replace the converter under warranty until the fan stops completely. I am considering upgrading the converter.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #8

Sounds like this is going to be one of those ghost things. It works at the shop, but doesn't when you are at the campsite...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandMEcamping
I had the same issue with my new 312BHX. The converter cooling fan made a high pitch squealing noise during our first day with the new camper. It squealed for about a minute then stopped. The main power breaker tripped. I had to re-set the main power breaker a few times because the cooling fan was not working. I brought it to the dealer and they could not get it to repeat. The cooling fan is working for now. The dealer told me they can’t replace the converter under warranty until the fan stops completely. I am considering upgrading the converter.
You can just up grade the fan to something better I actually added another fan to the already 2 in my wfco converter.

If does ever go it's getting a progressive dynamics period !
Old 08-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenKamper
Sounds like this is going to be one of those ghost things. It works at the shop, but doesn't when you are at the campsite...
Karen honestly the fan is the weak link in a wfco converter to which I'm guessing you have .

My last tt had a wfco converter in it and the fan gave up the ghost and overheated the converter.
I modded in a progressive dynamics converter/charger into my wfco housing and worked fine.

I now have a palomino sabre with the same wfco converter but noticed wfco now installs two fans instead of one.
One sucks in cool air whilst the other exhausts warm or hot air.
The fans are designed to rotate slowly with small or little load and then ramp up in speed as more power is required.
I added a third fan with a switch and run it at full speed 24/ 7 while camping.
To aid in better cooling.
Ron