Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Hookup Satellite Question - Please Help!!

We just purchased the 26BDH Greywolf. On the outside of the camper it has an outlet that says cable. We hooked up our Dish Tailgater to it and then connected the connection above the tv to the receiver and then ran the HD from the receiver to the tv and we get nothing. If I disconnect the satellite dish and connect it directly to the receiver and then the HD cable from the receiver to the tv it works perfectly. I have searched most of the day and I can't figure it out. This is our first camper and we are trying to learn but this is really stumping us. Thanks for any help!!
gbrownhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

tailgater

There is most likely a spliter on the line coming into the unit and the tailgater will not work with a spliter on the line. Ours does the same thing.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #3

Cable-in goes to a splitter and a antenna booster and will not work with satellite. Our RV has a cable-in and a satellite-in and our Tailgater works great. You need to run direct cable to dish with your set-up or rewire your cables (sometimes not so easy). If you have more than one TV hookup you will have several splitters to remove. I have talked to some that have used a short flat cable thru the window that might work for you.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #4

This may help you...

You absolutely can't run through a splitter with a tailgater. The receiver has to talk to the tailgater to tell it to find signal.

The flat cable will work for a couple trips before it wears out and won't work anymore. I went thru 3 of them before installing what I did.

See my fix to the problem. I couldn't find where the splitter was in the wall and I didn't want to tear the whole camper down.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t.php?p=947980
Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold View Post
This may help you...

You absolutely can't run through a splitter with a tailgater. The receiver has to talk to the tailgater to tell it to find signal...
First you don't hook to the "cable in", you hook the Tailgater to the "satellite in" and it will work with splitters, I have at least 4 splitters and one is a 4 way and my Tailgater works fine as does the OTA antenna on 3 televisions.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #6

Coot... Are the splitters between your receiver and the tailgater? If splitters worked with data flowing "uphill" your cable hook up should work. From my experience you can't have a splitter between the receiver and the tailgater. The satellite in is a direct feed to the receiver. Then the signal is split after the receiver to the other tv's. I am not meaning that the signal after the receiver can't be split. The OP said his connection outside said cable. He didn't mention he had two. My TH only had a cable hook up as well. Which is why I installed what I did.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Coot... Are the splitters between your receiver and the tailgater? If splitters worked with data flowing "uphill" your cable hook up should work. From my experience you can't have a splitter between the receiver and the tailgater. The satellite in is a direct feed to the receiver. Then the signal is split after the receiver to the other tv's. I am not meaning that the signal after the receiver can't be split. The OP said his connection outside said cable. He didn't mention he had two. My TH only had a cable hook up as well. Which is why I installed what I did.
The 4 way splitter is just inside the "satellite in" before it gets to the receiver box the other splitters are after the box.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

I only have a cable in - not a satellite in.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

That may be some special splitter designed for satellite install then. If the OP only has cable in, his splitters won't work. Coot, if you have time and it's not a mess to take a picture can you post it? I am curious as to what type of 4way splitter you have.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #10

GB, are you using a vp211k receiver? Coot is yours a different receiver than that? I heard they came out with a new system that can have multiple boxes (maybe just 2) on a single tailgater.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That may be some special splitter designed for satellite install then. If the OP only has cable in, his splitters won't work. Coot, if you have time and it's not a mess to take a picture can you post it? I am curious as to what type of 4way splitter you have.
I will if I can remember, bad case of CRS. PM me in the morning.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #12

My receiver is a ViP 211Z
Old 08-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #13

There are special splitters that allow the 12 volt current through. That is what OC has.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
There are special splitters that allow the 12 volt current through. That is what OC has.
Bought it on ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01647.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	85929  
Old 08-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #15

I don't have satellite but I noted what I had seen on other threads on the subject. The problem is some splitters will not pass the 12v power needed to operate the antenna. The answer I saw was to get a splitter with a different frequency operation. Apparently you can purchase a 5mhz-2.4ghz splitter at Home Depot or Lowes for less than $8 that will work. It is an Ideal Brand model 85-333, just do a search on either website. I can't say it will work but people that made he change said it does work so it is worth a try for those of you that have only a cable in port. Fortunately, if I ever get a satellite system I have a separate satellite in port on my TT.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #16

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrownhusker View Post
We just purchased the 26BDH Greywolf. This is our first camper and we are trying to learn but this is really stumping us. Thanks for any help!!
I have watched as many frustrated New RV'ers have strugled with this very problem. It was never an issue with our Class A rig, but when we moved to our FR Wildcat I immediately recognized the condition when it happened. I didn't waste too much time trying to make my portable satellite dish work.

I simply added a direct weather proof plugin through the wall behind my TV console and added a remote 12volt plug to power my dish. Not only did I get excellent Full HD signal in, I could use the HDMI cable between sat reciever and TV which also improved the signal. This freed up the boosted over the air signal in the bedroom and everyone is happy.

Sometimes a little do-it-youself work is the best way to keep things simple.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #17

I have a 2016 26DBH Grey Wolf and the same satellite hardware. I couldn't get mine to work either unless direct connected so had the dealer look at it when I took it back for a different problem. Turned out the cable connection in the ceiling was blown. Because the dish outside gets the power through the cable it was too much for the OEM connection with the 12 volt outlet built in.

The dealer replaced it with a different connection so it now has one outlet for the antenna with a little push button to turn on/off and another outlet for the satellite receiver that connects to the outside. Works great now. It looks like this:
http://www.rvpartscountry.com/TV-Sat...ceptacle.html#

I also added a 2nd outside connection and line into the bedroom so I can use a 2nd receiver as the outlet in the bedroom ceiling is for the antenna.

As mentioned, you do need to be direct connected to setup the receiver but sounds like you have done that already.
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:23 AM   #18

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1435515931
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:45 AM   #19

At the simplest level Cable In runs to the back of the main TV hookup that has the antenna amplifier button. It splits from there to usually the main and bedroom TV jacks. Whether it is the splitter there or the electronics, a sat signal will not pass it. On the back of that TV antenna power supply one cable is Cable In. If you want to pull it off and use it it will work as your Sat feed. If not, CW and other shops sell a kit you can install through the wall to create a dedicated sat hook up. I did the latter. Works fine.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 AM   #20

I'm following along here. We just had direct tv installed in out 25DS with lead coming off of the dish on our home. Got the TT parked right next to the house. I have the cable-sat connector on the left rear of the TT so the tech hooked in there then went inside and ran the lead off of a connector behind the tv to the receiver and all is working real well.

Bad news is I had bought the that big honkin Amazon.com: Winegard GM-2000 White Carryout G2 Automatic Portable Satellite TV Antenna: Automotive Winegard portable dish which the tech says might not work. Called Wingard and they say it will work with this H24 receiver. So maybe I can hook it in and try it Saturday.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite