Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

Hot bunkhouse

Our Sandpiper 380bh5 doesn't seem to be getting cool enough in the bunkhouse room. My son says it's too hot to sleep back there. The camper has two a/c units in it. One in the den kitchen area and one in the master bedroom. There are 2 vents in the bunk room, 2 in the den/kitchen, one in the bathroom and 2 in the master bedroom. Just wondering if there is any way to divert more air by closing off some or all the other vents throughout the camper and leaving only the bunk room vents open. With the a/c unit in the master bedroom there is no need for those vents to be open anyway. Any info is appreciated. Thanks Steven.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You normally can not block to much air flow otherwise the a/c unit may freeze up.

I'd be concerned that the duct work is not connected to distribution box properly or a smashed or damaged duct.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"

Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

How can I check that out.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #4

Here's a quick and dirty test - You need a couple of feet of VHS or 8 track tape.
Hold this piece of tape over a few vents and watch. Compare several vents and see if they are the same.

OR ....buy and air flow meter to accurately measure air flow from each vent - here's a cheap one $85 - Air Velocity and Temperature Accessory - AAV3
Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #5

Should I cover all the other vents while I check one at the time or open all of the vents while checking each one.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Take the vent down and look up into the duct-way with a mirror. A light in another vent may help you see any obstructions.

To me a foam mattress is hot to sleep on. Maybe quilted mattress covers would help with the comfort level regardless of whether the AC works well or not.

Try leaving the door cracked open so the air can circulate better back to the AC unit. RV have no return ducts. (At least not the RVs I can afford.)
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

All vents open first. Then you can "fiddle around" closing random vents to see if that helps. As noted closing too many vents is also not good.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #8

We have a 2015 Sierra 380BH5 and it does not cool in the bunkhouse well at all. Can barely feel any airflow out of the two vents in the bunkhouse. I have thought about taking the cover of the kitchen A/C unit down and try to look down the vent or look past the vents in the kitchen. I do have access to a borescope- camera on a stick- so I can use it to investigate deeper and I will post on here what I find.
We also have the notorious loud refrigerator fan. Otherwise we are very happy with our camper. The kids love the bunkhouse except for the temperature.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #9

There are a few mods posted on here about adding extra fridge fans and Modifying the AC unit to direct the air better. I only have 1 AC in my fw and could barely feel any in the front bedroom so I tried the mod and it works alot better. If your AC is like mine it blows straight down on a plastic cover then is supposed to blow out the into the ducts. I got a piece of down spout eaves trough and an elbow and was able to put the elbow up by the fan and attached the downspout to the elbow and into the 1 side of the duct work. I still have to do the same to the other side yet but you can feel the difference between the side I modified and the side that is not. I may get with a friend of mine that does ductwork and see if he can make me up something better.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #10

JYM
Does your 380bh5 have an a/c unit in the front bedroom?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
bunkhouse