Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Site Team

I addition to all of the good advice already given, trying running the AC if it is really hot in the camper. Yeah, I know this sounds weird, but I am convinced that makes a difference after our last camping trip. We left the camper in the morning while it was cool, and didn't think about the AC. We got back and it about 90 in the camper, and 41 in the fridge.......I keep a wireless thermometer in there. I have the fridge set so it usually stays around 33 degrees. After getting the camper temperature down to 75 or so, the fridge temperature came right on down also. Apparently, the fridge door ain't insulated as well as I thought.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #12

I was wondering about that and it makes since to keep the camper cool.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #13

One trick we use is, before we hit the road, we put a couple of 2 liter pop bottles in there that we've filled with water and keep in our freezer at home. When we get to the campground, we take them out and use the water as they thaw out.
doctort44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
Cunning Linguist

As noted above ...

At least 24 hours ....

A) Keep perishibles on ice in a cooler until 24 hours after arrival
B) Use an additional fan
C) A bag of ice or frozen water bottles in the fridge/freezer is an huge help.

We usuallly count on eating out the first night we arrive in order to alllow the fridge time too cool down to safe temps & migrate the perishables from cooler to fridge/freezer the next morning.

I'd also recommend buying a cheap thermometer ($3.00 from ACE) and putting it inside yr fridge. "it feels cold enough" is probably a bad way to avoid food poisoning yourself on a camping trip
Old 06-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake2727 View Post
I had my tt plugged in for a couple hours yesterday afternoon. I could feel the freezer getting cold but never could feel the fridge actually getting cold. How long does it normally take for it to get cold. The fridge has a sticker that says colder and warmer but no adjustment. The guy at the dealership when I bought it said it is set temperatures on the fridge and freezer. Am I doing something wrong or does it just take that long before you can feel any coldness in the fridge?
About 15 min up here in canada in Jan.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #16

This is some good advice about using the propane. I had no idea that it would work better than electric. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
I have to admit the fridge operation is poorly documented. I guess they assume a lot...
Look on the metal fins right to where that label is inside the fridge on the right, and you can move the white plastic 'thingy' up and down - cold to much colder. It works like that on mine.

Regards,

Denis
X2 on the fridge temp' adjustment.

Your advice is a couple of weeks late.

I had made ice cubes in my freezer earlier this year & incorrectly assumed the fridge was OK. I had been running the fidge on "auto" but it was still warm after a day. I saw the triangle marked warmer/cooler. The plastic "thingy" was near the bottom marked warmer. I moved the thingy up the fin & a couple of hours later the fridge was cold.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/32...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Along the same lines as the tubs of ice idea, fill 2-3 Arizona ice tea jugs (or similar jugs) with water and freeze them.

Put them into the fridge to help cool down more quickly. You will have your hometown water to drink when thawed and your
fridge is cold.

I turn on the fridge until the bottom of the freezer feels cold. Then I load all of my frozen items in the freezer that I am going to take with me. Then I load all of the cold things that i am taking for my trip in the fridge. Close the doors and leave them closed until I reach my destination and everything remains solid or cold as it should. This moves the cooling process time up a bit.

This works for me.
Dick