Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Glacier at this time of year?

Did you use heat at all?

Heat is the number one battery killer; right close behind are incandescent lights at 1.2 amps PER BULB.

2 days is great battery life under these conditions.

That tip about the fridge "climate control" is awesome if you can turn it off. BIG warning in the manual about turning it off when on battery.

(SOME models can't be turned off! They draw 1/2 amp continuously and many folks mod their fridge to allow it to be turned off).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1361.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	75360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1362.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	75361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climate Control Instructions.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	75362  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcamp View Post
Does that mean the brakes were applied and power pulled from the batteries?
Yes. If that's the case, you might want to have your electric brakes checked out. Continuous brake application "can" do damage to the "magnets".

Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
I had a similar situation recently. Found the plug pulled out from the breakaway switch while camping. Does that mean the brakes were applied and power pulled from the batteries?
Yup it will pull power from the battery because the brakes would be full on, therefore drawing power until you discovered the problem. You have to ask yourself, how long was the plug pulled out for because if it was for a long time while traveling the brakes could be worn badly and you might have been lucky to not have had a fire from the brakes heating up. Have the brakes checked, if the plugged was pulled while traveling. Just my 4 cents.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #14

Is that how the math works?

If I have a 100 Amp/h battery then I can expect to get 50 Amp/h out of it?

If I have a phantom draw of 2amp then after 24 hours I have used up 48 of the 50 amp/h?

Sure makes you want to carry a small inverter genny to charge up during the day. How long would it take to charge up? At home I put a slow 2amp charge on my battery and will run that overnight. But most CG's restrict the genny to certain hours right?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
Yup it will pull power from the battery because the brakes would be full on, therefore drawing power until you discovered the problem. You have to ask yourself, how long was the plug pulled out for because if it was for a long time while traveling the brakes could be worn badly and you might have been lucky to not have had a fire from the brakes heating up. Have the brakes checked, if the plugged was pulled while traveling. Just my 4 cents.
I found it pulled out at the campsite so i don't think was while moving. I also thought the fridge defrost was the culprit as we were running it on gas. My model domestic does not have the switch to cut it off.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Glacier at this time of year?

Did you use heat at all?

Heat is the number one battery killer; right close behind are incandescent lights at 1.2 amps PER BULB.

2 days is great battery life under these conditions.

That tip about the fridge "climate control" is awesome if you can turn it off. BIG warning in the manual about turning it off when on battery.

(SOME models can't be turned off! They draw 1/2 amp continuously and many folks mod their fridge to allow it to be turned off).
thanks for this tip... Its a new one for me and should help when i am in RMNP
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #17

A fellow camper told me he once had his refrigerator drain 2 batteries in 1night. turned out to be a faulty igniter - it never shut off
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:09 AM   #18

Quote:
I had a similar situation recently. Found the plug pulled out from the breakaway switch while camping. Does that mean the brakes were applied and power pulled from the batteries?
Yes, which can damage the magnets in the breaks...

For the OP - if you traveled a long distance without any current from the tv, the battery may have been fairly well drained when you arrived. I had this same issue happen to us once.

For the occasional 3-4 night stay without electric, just upgrading to two batteries may be enough to do the trick. And was mentioned earlier - double check to see if your fridge has heat strips (for condensation). If it does, those will kill a battery.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Is that how the math works?

If I have a 100 Amp/h battery then I can expect to get 50 Amp/h out of it?

If I have a phantom draw of 2amp then after 24 hours I have used up 48 of the 50 amp/h?

Sure makes you want to carry a small inverter genny to charge up during the day. How long would it take to charge up? At home I put a slow 2amp charge on my battery and will run that overnight. But most CG's restrict the genny to certain hours right?

Vin.
If your total amp draw is a constant 5 amps you will discharge a 100 AH battery to its 50% discharge point (where it must be recharged to avoid permanent damage to the battery) in 10 hours.

It gets more complicated if you are drawing more or less than that due to something call the Peukert Effect. (see graph)

As you demand more amps from a storage battery (as opposed to a starting battery), the ability of the battery to generate amps decreases due to plate design. As you can see from this graph, just demanding 10 amps will reduce the available capacity by 25% to 75 AH. At 20 amps of demand, the capacity available is reduced to 62.5 AH.

This is with a FULLY CHARGED 100 AH battery to start with. That is why adding multiple batteries is critical (to spread the demand across several battery suppliers) if you even THINK you might want to add an inverter to your camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	75378  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #20

Herk I think it should be drown down in 10 hours. 5 X 10=50. With a 1 amp draw you would be at 50% after 50 hours.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power, refrigerator