Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Unhappy How to open main stove top?

I had a spill over on the stovetop in my 2015 Microlite 21DS...for the life of me, I can't figure out how to lift the stovetop so that I can clean up the spill below the burners. I've searched the web, I've searched the FR forums and I've searched youtube for info to no avail. The manual that came with the trailer addresses specs, installation and general maintenance, but not how to open the top to clean underneath. I've yanked and pulled to try to lift it up but it's not moving and I don't want to damage it. Surely, I'm not the only one who has to clean under the stove top....am I????
Old 11-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

Pull up on the front. It should be hinged at the rear.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

I've done that...quite strenuously actually. I'm pretty short...I think my next move will be to stand on a stool so I have better leverage. Is there a possibility that I can do damage by pulling/yanking too hard on the stove top?
Old 11-07-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

What brand and model of stove top do you have? Pic if you can.
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Better to just post a picture of the stove.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #6

Same Suburban model I have... there is a spring steel catch in the front center and two tabs that go through slots at the back corners that allow it to be tilted up and listed away. Mine opened very easily by lifting at the front corners.

It was a bear to get latched back down. I ended up using a kitchen knife to push the catch back while pushing down and that did it. You might need to use the knife to push the catch while you lift a corner to get it to release if its really tight.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLynda View Post
I had a spill over on the stovetop in my 2015 Microlite 21DS...for the life of me, I can't figure out how to lift the stovetop so that I can clean up the spill below the burners. I've searched the web, I've searched the FR forums and I've searched youtube for info to no avail. The manual that came with the trailer addresses specs, installation and general maintenance, but not how to open the top to clean underneath. I've yanked and pulled to try to lift it up but it's not moving and I don't want to damage it. Surely, I'm not the only one who has to clean under the stove top....am I????
To open my cook top on my camper all you have to do is push back on it then lift up on the front edge. I think I have an Atwood range.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

Thanks, Dave, you nailed it. We thought it felt like a latch was in there, but using a pocket knife didn't seem to budge it. Sooooo...I broke out the ol handy outback style steak knife and that did the trick. It is a very stiff prong like latch that I tried to bend back just a bit, but I needed to use the knife to push it back as I pushed down on the stove top to close it again. All is well and I now feel much better that my stove is all nice and clean again. Thanks to all for your suggestions and recommendations.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #9

Glad to have helped... that's what we're all here for.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #10

Same Problem

I learned to carry a pry bar and a hammer to get even with the guy who designed those types of things.

Application of a pair of pliers to a few offending tabs etc. will stop that problem. It'll take time to wear down good, like an old pair of shoes.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote