Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

How to remove microwave

We have a 2017 FR3 that got an electrical backfeed from a bad electrical connection. The microwave had a pop sound, the microwave panel does not work but the interior light does. We want to remove the microwave to check the fuse but can't figure out how to remove the microwave to get to it. Can't find any screws in the upper cabinet. There is a metal bracket for the hood below.
RVer1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

Can you provide a picture of the Microwave, bracket and cabinet surround?
Hindsight is 20/20... You need to install a Progressive Industries EMS, this would have prevented this from happening.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Can you provide a picture of the Microwave, bracket and cabinet surround?
Hindsight is 20/20... You need to install a Progressive Industries EMS, this would have prevented this from happening.
I am new to this forum andwill post a picture once I figure out how.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer1976 View Post
We have a 2017 FR3 that got an electrical backfeed from a bad electrical connection. The microwave had a pop sound, the microwave panel does not work but the interior light does. We want to remove the microwave to check the fuse but can't figure out how to remove the microwave to get to it. Can't find any screws in the upper cabinet. There is a metal bracket for the hood below.

Here is 1 of a few RV Microwave removal / install videos on youtube. May not be the same as your microwave, but installs are pretty much done in the same fashion. Check out the others if this one does not help. Just type in RV microwave install, or removal.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #5

I just replaced a Furrion (sp?) over the stove convection microwave that was installed like one in a S&B. I would be happy to explain how if that's what you have.

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3600RS
rmshorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmshorter View Post
I just replaced a Furrion (sp?) over the stove convection microwave that was installed like one in a S&B. I would be happy to explain how if that's what you have.
Thank you. Our challenge is that videos indicate the need to remove screws in the upper cabinet. None are visible. There is a grill on the upper part of the microwave and we're looking for a way to remove that with no luck.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

I needed to gently remove the upper trim, so I can reinstall. Gently remove the board above the microwave, so I can reuse it. That exposed the screws to the top of the microwave. Although I had to remove the screws to either side of the board that held the microwave up to remove the screws to the microwave

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3600RS
Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Quote:
I needed to gently remove the upper trim, so I can reinstall. Gently remove the board above the microwave, so I can reuse it. That exposed the screws to the top of the microwave. Although I had to remove the screws to either side of the board that held the microwave up to remove the screws to the microwave
Thanks. We'll try that.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes. Like rmshorter said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1323
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	148032  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
Senior Member - Retired

I posted some pictures in the thread below detailing how to remove the Magic Chef microwave in our motorhome.
It may be applicable to your situation. Good luck!

Forest River Forums > Motorhomes > General Motorhome Discussion > Georgetown > Magic Chef Microwave Starts On Its Own
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #11

Ouch. Just replaced our microwave to the tune of $400. Similar to one you could likely get at Wally-Mart for $75, but had to match the trailer. Interior light but no waves isn't good. Could be as bad as a defective magnetron, HV capacitor or HV diode. They really are stupidly simple creatures. In my case, the magnet in the magnetron had cracked. Maybe you will be lucky and there is a fuse on the control board, otherwise :-(
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #12
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussPastuch View Post
Ouch. Just replaced our microwave to the tune of $400. Similar to one you could likely get at Wally-Mart for $75, but had to match the trailer. Interior light but no waves isn't good. Could be as bad as a defective magnetron, HV capacitor or HV diode. They really are stupidly simple creatures. In my case, the magnet in the magnetron had cracked. Maybe you will be lucky and there is a fuse on the control board, otherwise :-(
Mighty handsome price for a $75 microwave.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #13

Ahhh, but the best $400 microwave China makes :-)
Old 08-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #14

Our trailer may be different but When it was brand new 2 years ago it did that first trip out. There was a trim plate that comes off. Then the microwave had flange plates that screw it into the cabinetry. It was only screwed from the front through the flanges. We had to get it replaced but brought the microwave back to our dealer who got it replaced under warranty for Forest River. The new microwave did not include the flange so they needed to be taken off the defective one.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
I posted some pictures in the thread below detailing how to remove the Magic Chef microwave in our motorhome.
It may be applicable to your situation. Good luck!

Forest River Forums > Motorhomes > General Motorhome Discussion > Georgetown > Magic Chef Microwave Starts On Its Own
Thank you. After reading forum feedback, found the bottom of the cabinet above the microwave could be pried up exposing the screws. Was able to remove the microwave and determined the control board was fried. Fortunately found a replacement on Sears Parts Direct. Going to drill holes in the cabinet bottom for easier access in the future. It was definitely challenging.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #16

Very happy for you. An inexpensive fix.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #17

We have a 2017 fr3 28ds. I want to remove the Magic chef MW so I can put more lights under counter. I have stared at it endlessly, you tubed it and been on forums. The only possible clue I have is to remove cupboard to the right of MW as the removal of the trim above MW is not an option until cupboard is removed. Feel behind the cupboard door where the pieces join and you will feel the recessed screw holes. This is where I plan to start. I know from the install manuals I downloaded that there are screws from the top down at the front and once these are removed the MW is lifted up from the back bracket and pulled forward. My next step is to talk to service manager at dealer for clues. I will note your name etc. and if I find out anything I will post you. Good luck.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #18

See that you found fix. Good. I still am puzzled. Ours has the dinette slide so there is no cabinet above, just beside MW. Back to square one for me unless some one can help out.
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
See that you found fix. Good. I still am puzzled. Ours has the dinette slide so there is no cabinet above, just beside MW. Back to square one for me unless some one can help out.

Can you post a pic?

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3600RS