Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

How to Use TV with antenna

We are camped in a state park where trees block our satellite. There is no cable TV here. We have tried to figure out how to use our antenna to get limited television service. We have found the switch that activates the antenna, and we have raised our antenna. Nothing but snow on the screen. Can anyone tell us what we might be doing wrong? We are here for nearly two weeks and hate to miss the news and weather for that long--not to mention the Super Bowl. Thanks a lot.
eulouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulouise View Post
We are camped in a state park where trees block our satellite. There is no cable TV here. We have tried to figure out how to use our antenna to get limited television service. We have found the switch that activates the antenna, and we have raised our antenna. Nothing but snow on the screen. Can anyone tell us what we might be doing wrong? We are here for nearly two weeks and hate to miss the news and weather for that long--not to mention the Super Bowl. Thanks a lot.
Once the antenna is up and the booster switch is on, you will need to reprogram the television.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Thanks so much, BombDoc. I know I am the biggest idiot of all, but could you give me more details, please, on how to program the television? We always use the satellite or cable, and I have no idea how to program the TV--or where to look for instructions? Even when I manually change the TV to go to channel 2 or channel 10, or channel 6--channels that we should be able to get with the antenna here, we still get nothing but snow. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help
Eulouise
Old 01-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulouise View Post
Thanks so much, BombDoc. I know I am the biggest idiot of all, but could you give me more details, please, on how to program the television? We always use the satellite or cable, and I have no idea how to program the TV--or where to look for instructions? Even when I manually change the TV to go to channel 2 or channel 10, or channel 6--channels that we should be able to get with the antenna here, we still get nothing but snow. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help
Eulouise
I will try the best I can without seeing your remote control or knowing what type television you have.

On the remote, there should be a menu button. Press it.
Once the menu pops up, you will need to make sure the television is set on anntena so that the television knows it is receiving its signal from the anntena and not a cable/satelitte source. Once you have it set to anntena, you should be able to scan/program/search for any and all available channels. This could take several minutes as the television searches for signal. Once it is finished, you may have only a couple channels, or 30+ depending on where you are. Once you figure this out, you might want to adjust your anntena (if it is adjustable) and try it again in order to get more channels.

The television needs to know it is receiving its signal via anntena and not satelitte or cable. Hope this helps.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

You may have separate cabling for satellite and TV. (I do) Look at the TV cable panel behind the TV. This is proably where you found the Attena Amp button. If you have to cable ports..try swapping the tv to the other port. (It is the lower one on mine.)

Also make sure your TV input is switched to "Anttena". Thre is usually a input buutin on the remote. If not, check the Menu button for an input selector.

Once the TV is directed tio a live cable, then go through the setup channel scan..
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
Paradise has arrived!

You probably need to take your tv setting off of cable/satellite and put it on antenna. On your remote you should have a button for input. Press that and you'll get a screen for various settings. Scroll to antenna and press ok or enter. Also the antenna itself should rotate. There should be a round serrated looking dial right on the ceiling under the antenna. Pull down on the dial and rotate until you get reception. And note that before you lower the antenna you need to rotate that dial back to its home position. You may want to mark the position with a little dot from a marker. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
Site Team

You only have to change settings on TV. ( After you turn on antenna amp green light on cable outlet on wall)
Turn on TV
Go to setup in menu ( using remote)
Go to select input
Choose ( antenna should have been on Cable)
Then you will need to go to search
This will search for any channels that have sufficient signal to get a picture.
This takes some time. You can watch the process ans it will let you know how many available signals it found.
Now you can search those channels.

If you antenna rotates, you may have to point it in the directions of the transmitters ( usually near the closest major city)

Note: You will have to do the channel search each time you go to a different area as different channels will be available.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
New to Forest River

There is an app for iPhone called TV Towers that shows you where TV towers are located near your position. Aim the antenna toward the station that you want and then run the TV scan.

Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #9

Many, many thanks for all the suggestions and help. Thanks to all of you, I can now get 11 channels on my TV. I appreciate the time you took to respond to my cries for help.

Tags
antenna