Old 08-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
how to winterize a residential refrigerator

winter is coming. this year we moved from a climate where it never freezes to one where it gets down into the 20's at night for a few months. we have a 2015 cardinal in a storage lot without any electricity so I have to get it winterized. all the normal steps for the trailer and its plumbing systems make sense. but we have a frigidaire residential refrigerator in the trailer that has both a cold water outlet and an ice maker. how do you winterize such a refrigerator? to make matters worse I contacted frigidaire and they said that the refrigerator will get damaged if it is stored at below freezing temperatures. something about the internal Freon. do any of have any advice or recommendations? how about all you people that live up in the northern climates. how do you handle this? thanks!

2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
I put the pink stuff in my residential refrigerator, let it cycle through a few times making ice a few times to be sure the pink stuff is in

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
That fridgidaire rep needs to find different employment or read up on storing a fridge.

As long as you winterize the water lines and unplug the fridge it will winter over just fine. There are thousands of fridges in summer cottages here in the Great White North that winter over just fine year after year in sub zero temps.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
X2 at the same time you are winterizing the water system do the fridge like has been mentioned. To bad you didn't ask the Frigidaire rep how do AC units with freon in them survive the winter.
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
A fridge that is shut off should not have any problems being left in the cold. Does the rep think the manufacturers heat the warehouses and trucks used to store and move the inventory during the winter?
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
The refrigerator will do just fine, as others have said. However, you will need to run RV antifreeze into the Ice making system. The easiest way is to do this the same way that I do my dometic fridge, with possibly one slight change.

On the dometic, the ice maker water solenoid is readily accessible from the side of the coach. I took an old extension cord, cut the receptacle end off, and added to push on terminal ends. When I am pumping RV antifreeze in to the lines, I remove the regular terminations from the solenoid, connect the power cord terminations and plug in the cord. This immediately opens the solenoid, letting the antifreeze flow into the system. Be sure to put the ice bucket under the icemaker, as it will overflow with antifreeze. When its clearly pink, stop. You can't just pour antifreeze into the ice tray, because the lines also need the antifreeze

You will need to do the same thing. However, it may be easier to make permanent connections and add a switch to do the same thing. If you have a water dispenser, you may need to activate several solenoids at the same time. This may take a little looking around to figure out. In the spring, do the same thing with water to flush the lines. It usually takes a couple of trays of ice to clear out all the antifreeze.

Good Luck

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
winterize residential fridge

when I did mine the filter was still on the water line in the fridge , the service dept did not tell me that it would filter out the pink in the antifreeze so I wasted a lot of antifreeze .good luck have fun
backwoodsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
I did the same thing with the filter cleaning the pink anti-freeze so I bought a new filter, after flushing lines, the placed old filter in a zip-lock bag to use this winter.
2015 F350 CC Lariat 4/4 SRW
6.7 diesel

2016 3850RL Cardinal
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #9
thanks, thanks, thanks! i lover the idea of putting an extension cord on the water solenoid. of course it will take a while to do that. looks like i'll have to pull it out in order to gain access, but you only do that once. the goal would be to put 110 on the solenoid so that it opens. while it is open you could pump the antifreeze into the ice maker line. i just need to confirm a few things. another email to frigidaire coming up, but something tells me they are not rv oriented. also going to contact a couple of rv service centers. they all advertise winterizing services. i wonder how they handle the residential refrigerator? and an email to forest river. let's see what they have to say. but to all, thank you for your thoughts and ideas. i still have some time, but winter is coming. right now the priority is to get ready for our trip in a couple of weeks. yippee!!!
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:50 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
No need to make any alterations to your fridge. You have a residential fridge and not an RV fridge (Dometic). When winterizing, run water through door, then leave ice maker on for a couple cycles and you're done. It's that easy. The filter does have to be in the fridge for the water to cycle through. Keep the filter for winterizing and install new one in spring AFTER you clear the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 64
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote

refrigerator, winter, winterize