Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Nah I was just posting general useless information that floats around in my head

I DO need to make a correction though!

I said: Remember 'Quickly?' well the only reason I bothered hurting your head with these terms is this: since a spike can fry your electronics at 1 nanosecond, make sure that your surge suppressor has a listed response time of under 1 second

That should be 1 NANOsecond!

You know... I completely missed that in your post. I just read what you meant I guess!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #22

I ended up sending the question to Progressive. Their answer in a nutshell is: it's okay to daisy chain a Hughes Autoformer with surge suppression with the PI EMS units. They specify the correct sequence as power source -> Hughes -> PI EMS -> trailer. Since we have the same answer from both companies, there shouldn't be any warranty issues.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I ended up sending the question to Progressive. Their answer in a nutshell is: it's okay to daisy chain a Hughes Autoformer with surge suppression with the PI EMS units. They specify the correct sequence as power source -> Hughes -> PI EMS -> trailer. Since we have the same answer from both companies, there shouldn't be any warranty issues.

Cool!

I only heard back from Hughes; never got a response from PI.

Thanks.

Camp on!
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #24

Thanks for the suggested mounting tips, 325BH and BamaBob. The idea of buying or fabricating an extra 5-10 foot cord and using the area under the trailer for security and weather protection is quite appealing to me. My trailer has 3 steps plus door entry level so there is plenty of room underneath to facilitate setup/breakdown.

So I'm thinking a good setup procedure would be to plug in the PI immediately upon arrival and have it check out the pedestal then, when satisfied with electrical service, pull the PI and setup for camping.

Many thanks to all players! If anyone has more ideas for mounting, I'd enjoy the possibilities. Otherwise, thanks to all for sharing your expertise and opinions!
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:08 AM   #25

I'll just throw my opinion into the fire. We use the Hughes, and have had zero issues.
Camp on!!
Dodge Ram 2500 HD Cummins
2018 Ultra Limited
HyperCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #26

To the doubting Thomas about RV codes and inspection. NFPA and NEC have been adopted nationwide as the standards of choice for construction and maintenance. Ft and others adhere to these rules and all RVs have the same sometimes odd features i.e.:vac breaker/check valve for tank wash water supply. No home, building, boat etc is built or designed without NFPA/NEC input. The auto transformer rules we found under the RV section of NEC. I no longer have access to the full guides, an electrician would.
This is not the same as RVIA, safety rules are published under Fed.Register and carry the same weight as laws.

NFPA 1192: Standard on Recreational Vehicles, 2015 Edition
NFPA 1192: Standard on Recreational Vehiclesi
More information about NFPA 1192
Save 15% when you buy two or more formats! NFPA Members save an extra 10%.

Price:$0.00
Edition:
2015 NFPA 1192
2015 NFPA 1192 PDF - ($52.00)
2015 NFPA 1192 - ($52.00)
Prior YearsPrior Editions of NFPA 1192
Quantity:

Standard Description
NFPA 1192: Standard on Recreational Vehicles is updated and improved for current fire and life safety issues and inspections.

With unique characteristics of size and use, recreational vehicles require a distinct set of fire and life safety criteria to guard against the hazards of fire and explosions. Reference the 2015 edition of NFPA 1192: Standard on Recreational Vehicles for comprehensive provisions on egress requirements, fire detection requirements, carbon monoxide detection requirements, as well as the locations and types of fire extinguishers. NFPA 1192 also addresses the correct installation of plumbing, fuel-burning, electrical, and other safety-related systems.

Significant revisions impact RV manufacturers, inspectors, and fire protection engineers.

Hazards related to propane stoves, transmission overheating during transit, and shorts from 12V connections present serious risks to life and property. Address concerns like these and many more with the revised 2015 edition of NFPA 1192. Changes include:

Requirements are harmonized with CSA Z240, Recreational Vehicles reflecting international travel and manufacturing.
All labels have been revised to conform to ANSI Z535 Series for standardization within the industry.
New Chapter 8: Vehicle Requirements improves usability.
To the use of fuel cell technology and other industry changes, new definitions have been added for Protruding Equipment, Fuel Cell Device, and Fuel Cell System.
Minimum Means of Escape has been revised for greater clarity on Primary and Secondary Means of Escape.
Staying up-to-code with the NFPA 1192 helps you provide fire-safe and compliant recreational vehicles.(Softbound, 52 pp., 2015)

Standard Table of Contents
Free CatalogCustomer ServicePayment PolicyPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseCustomer Support
Contact Us: Call Toll-Free 1-800-344-3555
Customer Contact Center: 11 Tracy Drive, Avon, MA 02322
Headquarters: 1 Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169
Canadian Customers | International Customers
ABOUT SSL CERTIFICATES NFPA on Facebook NFPA on Google+ NFPA on YouTube NFPA at Linked In Follow NFPA on Twitter NFPA on FLICKR NFPA RSS Feeds
- See more at: http://catalog.nfpa.org/NFPA-1192-St....BCtb9efE.dpuf
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote