Old 10-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
We have the same as Thurman. Cut post off the one picured and mount it about 4 inches above the roof and that's what it looks like. Doesn't rotate, doesn't raise, it can not be adjusted. there is a booster switch on the panel inside where the TV plugs into but that doesn't help much. Yes there are cable jacks for outside connections but we're not in a park that has cable.

Overall TV isn't a big part of our lives so there's little loss for us.
we have the same situation, where we camp they don't have cable, and our antennae doesn't rotate and even with the booster on we only get 2 channels, and get this we only get those late at night and until 9 am and BAM they go away. it's like someone turns the stations power down at 9 am.
we just take or buy dvd's and take some music cd's with us. we usually are out and about or reading anyway. this is our time to get away from all that

Old 10-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #22

Does anybody know what brand this antenna is? I have never seen one that does not rotate unless it is an Omni directional one.....

Old 10-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #23
Head Rambler

Here's a picture of a unit like we have. I don't know if it's the exact unit, but it looks exactly like it. We have the white one. No raising, No rotating.

Like I said, it works pretty well so far. I live about 60 to 70 miles from the nearest broadcast antenna arrays so it does pretty good.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Here's a picture of a unit like we have. I don't know if it's the exact unit, but it looks exactly like it. We have the white one. No raising, No rotating.

Like I said, it works pretty well so far. I live about 60 to 70 miles from the nearest broadcast antenna arrays so it does pretty good.
Are there any instructions with it that tells what brand it is??
Old 10-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #25

Correct analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydg View Post
What I'm sure you have for an antenna is what is called an Omni directional antenna and is "supposed" to pick up stations from all directions without the need to rotate. Well guess what? They don't work very well. As others have said, they replaced the Omni directional with the Jack and I have as well. Suggest you check out the reviews on-line and I think you might too.
Lloydg hit the nail directly on the head. You have one of the new High Definition Omni Directional antennas. As a former USAF radio operator and ham operator I learned early in life that Omni directional antennas receive equally poor in all directions.

I believe manufacturers are using these now to reduce manufacturing costs, the antennas are cheaper and doesn't require a turning mechanism extend into the camper interior.

I replaced my Wineguard Sensor with a King Jack HD directional antenna. I live 9 miles from downtown Cincinnati and a bit farther from Northern KY and get 39 over the air HD channels. The 4 network stations and several public broadcast stations all deliver a stunning HD signal. The drawback here is you must point the antenna in the right direction.

While the old Wineguard antenna worked reasonably well (it was designed before the advent of HDTV) it was not optimized for the new HD frequencies. King Jack and several other HD directional antennas will improve your over-the-air reception provided you are camped at a reasonable distance from the transmitters. When we camp in Eastern KY we get zero TV reception over-the-air.

If you routinely camp near a metro area it might be a worthwhile investment to install (or have installed) a rotating mechanism along with a King Jack style directional antenna. BTW - almost all these antennas have a built in pre-amplifier that requires 12 volts on the coaxial cable to power the pre-amplifier. That's the little red light you see near most RV cable jacks.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #26
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Are there any instructions with it that tells what brand it is??
NCE Ltd from Australia is all I can find.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #27

I have the same antenna as pictured by Rbertalotto but added the Wingman accessory which makes it even more directional but also gives much better range. Try this website: The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps Plug in your location. Then click on any station in the list below that and you will info for that station and a line will appear on the map from your location to the transmitting tower.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #28

I have a fixed digital antenna on my vibe that doesn't extend. I wasn't thrilled with it, but with the signal boost switch on, I've always been able to receive at least a few stations... Even while camping in the hole of Palo Duro Canyon during weather!
Old 10-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
Lloydg hit the nail directly on the head. You have one of the new High Definition Omni Directional antennas. As a former USAF radio operator and ham operator I learned early in life that Omni directional antennas receive equally poor in all directions. .
Nick; I was an radio operator too, but in the Army Nat'l Guard. (1969-1975) I don't think they have use for our types anymore. Tuning up a single side band probably isn't in demand very much.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #30

Antenna

We had the Jack. Worked well but was a little high. It was 14" above the roof and mounted on the passenger side so it broke off twice from overhanging trees on local streets. Our sandstorm put the top of the antenna at 14' 2". We replaced it with a sensar IV with amplifier. It is only 4" above roof when cranked down and works well.

Tags
antenna, antennae