Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

I don't like the new HD antennae

My former TT had one of the "let it up, rotate it" antennae. Anywhere we camped we could find some stations to watch and could fine tune the picture the way I grew up fine tuning the home TV--rotation, rotation, rotation. We just returned from our fourth trip out with this TT and I have not been able to find but a few stations total and none of them were clear. I wonder if these were invented to help with sales of the traveling dish systems. We don't sit in the TT watching the telly, but I would like to catch up on the evening news and maybe watch something before falling asleep. What are others doing to get around these new HD antenna's?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

What do you have for an antenna if not a Winegard Sensar?

Digital TV signal are EXTREMELY directional. A few degrees this way or that can make a huge difference.

If you do indeed have a digital TV antenna, does it have an amplifier that must be turned on for decent reception?
Rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Our Berkshire came with a Jack antenna. It is amplified and does a good job. I have nothing to compare it to. It only works if the power button is on.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Change it.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbertalotto View Post
What do you have for an antenna if not a Winegard Sensar?

Digital TV signal are EXTREMELY directional. A few degrees this way or that can make a huge difference.

If you do indeed have a digital TV antenna, does it have an amplifier that must be turned on for decent reception?
I have the Sensar antennae shown, along the the Wingman, it does a great job.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

I had the crank up style on my old motorhome, but that was before digital TV. My Forester has the Jack antenna and it works well in areas with digital TV signals. The thing to remember with digital TV is that it's an all or nothing venture. You either get a good signal and the picture shows up on the TV or you don't get a good signal and nothing shows up. It's not like the older TV antennas and pre digital TVs where you could get a so-so signal and watch a snowy picture on your TV.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
My former TT had one of the "let it up, rotate it" antennae. Anywhere we camped we could find some stations to watch and could fine tune the picture the way I grew up fine tuning the home TV--rotation, rotation, rotation. We just returned from our fourth trip out with this TT and I have not been able to find but a few stations total and none of them were clear. I wonder if these were invented to help with sales of the traveling dish systems. We don't sit in the TT watching the telly, but I would like to catch up on the evening news and maybe watch something before falling asleep. What are others doing to get around these new HD antenna's?
What antenna do you currently have installed on your TT?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Team

We have the same antenna, and the jury is still out on how well it works. It seems to work at least as good as the old 'Crank and Turn' on our old camper, but we haven't been to enough places to make a good comparison. We still get about the same number of channels at home as we could with the old one and we live in the boonies.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

I actually don't know what brand this new antenna is. I do know that the old one looks like the picture in post #2. This new one appears to have the "wings" as the old one but is a fixed position as far as height and direction. There are NO controls for the antenna on the inside of the TT.The new one is aligned with the length of the TT. I just went out to finish cleaning the TT, turned on the TV and did a channel search with the little red light on. Four channels with two TV stations within five miles of my house. Four channels that did not come in clear enough to watch. I am going to look into the "Jack" antenna.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Left Coast

Trailer have hook-up for cable on outside? If it does, there is an ant. amplifier which needs to on
Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I actually don't know what brand this new antenna is. I do know that the old one looks like the picture in post #2. This new one appears to have the "wings" as the old one but is a fixed position as far as height and direction. There are NO controls for the antenna on the inside of the TT.The new one is aligned with the length of the TT. I just went out to finish cleaning the TT, turned on the TV and did a channel search with the little red light on. Four channels with two TV stations within five miles of my house. Four channels that did not come in clear enough to watch. I am going to look into the "Jack" antenna.
Please, send us a picture. Also a picture of any inside control panel.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #12

I had the same anntena you have on my Salem. It work ok as long as you were within 40 miles of a metro area. Outside of that, nothing. Your best bet is to replace it with a sensar or a jack. I went the direct tv route. Expensive up front but has paid for itself over the years.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
What I'm sure you have for an antenna is what is called an Omni directional antenna and is "supposed" to pick up stations from all directions without the need to rotate. Well guess what? They don't work very well. As others have said, they replaced the Omni directional with the Jack and I have as well. Suggest you check out the reviews on-line and I think you might too.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

It is probably an Antenna Tek antenna....which works the same way the sensor does....Why can't you turn the antenna to face the station? Just grab the outside ring, pull it away from the ceiling about a 1/2" then turn it till you get a good picture...
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #15
ARLO

We have the King "Jack" antenna and it works as good as our old Sensar antenna if not a little better.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #16
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have the same as Thurman. Cut post off the one picured and mount it about 4 inches above the roof and that's what it looks like. Doesn't rotate, doesn't raise, it can not be adjusted. there is a booster switch on the panel inside where the TV plugs into but that doesn't help much. Yes there are cable jacks for outside connections but we're not in a park that has cable.

Overall TV isn't a big part of our lives so there's little loss for us.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
It is probably an Antenna Tek antenna....which works the same way the sensor does....Why can't you turn the antenna to face the station? Just grab the outside ring, pull it away from the ceiling about a 1/2" then turn it till you get a good picture...
Stationary ant...does not rotate
Old 10-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #18
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Stationary ant...does not rotate
There is nothing inside where the antenna mounts, the outside is screwed onto the roof and sealed.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #19

I am not surprised ......we looked at a 34' travel trailer that had no closets, not even a shirt closet....them mfg. rep stated it was a weekend camper and you brought suitcases....duh if I was going to camp out of a suitcase I would go to a motel....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #20
drojr

If you have a smart phone get an app to show you the direction the signal is coming from. Such as "DTV Antennas" shows the direction and distance to the source of the signal.
droilerjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, antennae