Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Jim

Question I need help!

Am getting back into camping after 30 years. Purchased used 07 Forest River camper which has Concertone Gadget (dvd,radio,tv) and also has a concertone monitor for tv I assume. I have a roof top (crank up)antenna for TV and antenna for radio. Radio works ok. DVD, so so. TV - nothing. In the 70's when I was camping, Campers did not come with electronics. How do I get the tv portion to work?? Monitor comes on and will play DVD, but nothing in the TV mode. Headed out next week end with 5 year old grandson to entertain. Don't know if campground has cable or not, but need to know how to handle cable or antenna operation. Many, many thanks in advance

Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I guess you never heard about the conversion from analog TV to Digital a couple of years back. A 2007 camper has an analog TV tuner and will no longer work without an additional tuner converter from digital signals to analog (channel 3 or 4) so your TV can understand them.

Without replacing your TV with a new flat screen digital TV you will need to buy a converter like Sunkey Digital Converter Box - Walmart.com to use you existing TV.

As to cable, connect the campground cable to the camper's outdoor F connector and MAKE SURE the amp is off (green light off). You will need to search for channels on the TV. If your campground's cable company has gone digital, then you would still need the converter box even with campground cable.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think I have a converter box at home I'd give you if you didn't want to upgrade to a digital tv.
Pay for shipping and its yours.

Turbs
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Jim

Thank you both. I am familiar with the converter on older TV's. This is not an actual TV, it is a monitor. I have a Concertone DVD Satellite Stereo Radio System which has DVD, TVtuner,CD digital audio, etc. Would or should there be a converter box in close proxmity to this system or the monitor. What would the normal range be for reception? The antenna is a Winegard Sensar if that helps.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Thank you both. I am familiar with the converter on older TV's. This is not an actual TV, it is a monitor. I have a Concertone DVD Satellite Stereo Radio System which has DVD, TVtuner,CD digital audio, etc. Would or should there be a converter box in close proxmity to this system or the monitor. What would the normal range be for reception? The antenna is a Winegard Sensar if that helps.
If your tuner is in the Concertone unit, then the converter would have to go between the antenna switch and the Concertone tuner input.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

Jim,

Lou is right in what he says in both of his posts; however, when I had my '07 Forest River Rockwood with probably the same Concertone setup as you, I was able to quickly wire up an easy work-around to make that old analog monitor work fine using the same kind of digital-to-analog converter box which Turbs is offering to you.

What I did was run a short piece of standard coax tv cable with F connectors on each end

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable_TV_with_F_connector.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	24089

from the Rockwood's combination tv antenna/satellite wall plate

Name:   Combination TV Ant-Sat Wall Plate.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  7.3 KB

to my converter box. Then I ran a standard red/white/yellow audio-video cable with RCA connectors on each end

Name:   RCA Cable.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  9.7 KB

from my converter box over to the Rockwood's audio-video input wall plate jacks

Name:   RCA Wall Plate.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  29.5 KB

and plugged the red/white/yellow RCA leads into the matching colored Input 1 wall jacks.

I then powered up everything, pushed the antenna signal booster switch to on (green light illuminated) and tuned the Concertone control unit to the Input 1 Function setting. I could then watch today's digital over-the-air television broadcasts through my converter box to the existing analog monitor, and could use my converter box's remote control to change television channels, volume, etc.

I hope this reply post works out okay with the pics I've attempted to insert, as it's the first time I've attempted to post with pics.

Have a great time with your grandson, Jim!

Mike