Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 PM   #1

I wish I read these threads earlier

I am a new to me owner of a 2010 flagstaff tent trailer. I have lots of quest. But learned my lesson today that it might be wise to ask first instead of trying to figure out. 2 hours after tracing wires, checking fuses, every outlet, I came across a post explaining that you can’t use 110v A/c off of the battery. Makes perfect sense now. Until my youngest pointed out he can charge his iPad in the car when the car is not running. Yep. I’m confused again. Car has an inverted built in. What about the electric burner lighters? Or furnace, fridge, water heater? Shoreline power for those options? Lastly (for now lol), how to get rid of mold stains? Thanks in advance !!!!
NickN100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
Always Learning

Fridge likely has an option to run on 12v (battery) and propane.

Furnace runs on 12v and propane.

Water heater definitely can run on 12v and propane and might have an electric (120v) option.

There’s a site/page called “12v side of life” that is incredibly helpful for getting a grasp on this all:
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 05-28-2018, 12:11 AM   #3

Welcome. You have come to the right place for help. Yes, this forum is very helpful.
Your last question first; I use a light solution of bleach on mold. But, you want to be careful not to add to the stained.

The water heater probably runs on propane. The other items you mentioned have need shore power and us high watt requirements, so you should educate yourself on each.

You can also find numerous threads here on portable generators for power. Personally, I have used for many years, a Honda 2000, but I know there are less expensive options.
Ram2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Nick,
Your tent trailer should have a 3-way fridge, 12v DC/110v AC/Propane. 12v DC is generally only used while traveling, to keep it cool. 110v AC is for when you have electric hookups. Propane is for when you are dry camping or boondocking.

Outlets only work when on shore power or a generator.

Furnace uses 12v battery power to light the propane. It won't heat with electric.
Same with the water heater, unless it has an electric element.

You should be asking your questions in the Tent Camper/Popup section of the Forum. Lots of popup owners there to help you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:17 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum!

I found this forum when I was doing research on a new Motorhome. I find it friendly and informative.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:37 AM   #6

Welcome!
I’m sure the iPad doesn’t charge in every 12v outlet in the car. Some are on all the time, and some are switched with the ignition.
In my car the cigarette lighter is constant and the 12v power port is switched.
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:50 AM   #7
Site Team

Nick this thread may help. Read the link on "converters inverters, they are different" as it will give you an understanding on the electric system

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=157524

After you read that link, then you will understand that iPads, laptops, cellphones, etc are actually DC voltage items as they are battery powered. Your vehicle is also DC (it has a battery/alternator) so it can power them.

Have you ever looked at the power cord you plug into an outlet at your house to recharge the battery in a laptop, iPad, cellphone? The box on the power cord, or the part you plug into the wall, has circuity in it that is converting 120 volt AC to DC voltage to power/recharge the DC battery in these items.

You RV has a much larger converter, as explained in the link.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #8

I wish I read these threads earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN100 View Post
I am a new to me owner of a 2010 flagstaff tent trailer. I have lots of quest. But learned my lesson today that it might be wise to ask first instead of trying to figure out. 2 hours after tracing wires, checking fuses, every outlet, I came across a post explaining that you can’t use 110v A/c off of the battery. Makes perfect sense now. Until my youngest pointed out he can charge his iPad in the car when the car is not running. Yep. I’m confused again. Car has an inverted built in. What about the electric burner lighters? Or furnace, fridge, water heater? Shoreline power for those options? Lastly (for now lol), how to get rid of mold stains? Thanks in advance !!!!

The “electric burner lighters” you ask about are most likely static igniters. Our cook stove igniter is a manual turn knob.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Nick,
Your tent trailer should have a 3-way fridge, 12v DC/110v AC/Propane. 12v DC is generally only used while traveling, to keep it cool. 110v AC is for when you have electric hookups. Propane is for when you are dry camping or boondocking.

Outlets only work when on shore power or a generator.

Furnace uses 12v battery power to light the propane. It won't heat with electric.
Same with the water heater, unless it has an electric element.

You should be asking your questions in the Tent Camper/Popup section of the Forum. Lots of popup owners there to help you.
Just a comment. My Coleman popup had a 2 way (12VDC and propane) fridge. When on 110VAC shore power, the converter supplied the 12VDC to the fridge. So even though it was a "2-way" it would work with 110VAC. (My popup didn't have a battery, only the 110VAC-to-12VDC converter.)

So if you don't see something that specifically looks like a 110VAC switching option on the fridge, it may still operate on 12VDC from the converter that's being supplied with 110VAC shore power.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickN100 View Post
I used to own a Tent Trailer and the best stuff I found to remove Mold and Mildew stains was made by IOSSO. It is a powder you mix with water and wipe on then rinse off. They also make a good Seam Sealer that you might need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20180528_174403.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	173755  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #11

Range Piezo Lighter

Cheaper units have a lighter that is human powered. You turn the knob and it sparks once. I find those problematic. I replaced mine with a AA battery powered one like the ones on higher end stoves and ranges. That is one of my favorite modifications. The oven has a pilot light that has to be lit. There should be a packet of owner's manuals for all of your appliances, but there may not be. Fortunately, you can find all of that on the internet now.

My Roo came without a 12v outlet. I find that amazing, and irritating. I put one in immediately. Since mostly used for charging phones and iPads, it might make sense to replace it with one that has multiple USB ports. If you boondock, avoid the ones that are lit up all the time. It just runs the batteries down.