Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

If Concertone were Made Here???

I live on the left coast . Those big steel boxes stacked up ,to the sky, in Long Beach & LA Harbor ,You know the same steel boxes that came over here from China full to the max with Stuff Lots & lots of stuff. Having say that ,I see a lot of RV'ers on this board and others, say The sound systems in RV"s are JUNK (Not just Concertone ). What if Forest River said ,our Concertone Factory in China make Crappy Sound Systems , and started making them lets say in Elkhart In. Wouldn't we Americans make a better product That Forrest River would be proud to put in all there RVs. And Me as as a Person at a RV Show looking at RVs Could here a Salesperson say : "BEST SOUND SYSTEM " Best warranty , Best made ,one more thing "MADE IN AMERICA BY AMERICANS" and that RV over the has a POS system made in China , Well it would make me think??? ??? Because I think a Good Sound System with good speakers and Sub is Important part of a RV . Would you buy a car or Truck with a POS Radio? Thanks Dock
Dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Most likely it would also cost $12,000 for the radio and have parts from Central America and Thailand.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

Just because something is made in China does not mean it is junk. All manufactures have things built to a price point and if the price point means substandard quality manufacturing quality and parts then that is what we as consumers get. If the manufacturer want to pay well then we get good quality and everything in between depending on the budget used. Do you think for a minute an america assembly line would put out anything any better if they were getting paid below the minimum wage in poor conditions? Not likely and the reason for all the overseas manufacturing is the simple result of our economies never being happy with what we get paid and yet not wanting to pay for the products we make because the prices are too high because of our greed for higher wages and so it goes. I only use high end Cisco network switches etc on the networks I designed and manage and guess what? All made in China and I have not seen a failure in over 5 years.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

The trailers themselves are made in Elkhary, Indiana .... I see no end to the complaints being voiced in this forum ....

It is a QA/QC and numbers issue .... And keep in mind, only people with issues complain. I do not see many people who take the time saying, my concertone is complete problem free. The water heater works flawlessly. The antenna raises and lowers without any issues. The wheels turn freely etc .. you get my point ...

Look at the truck manufacturers in Detroit ... All three suffered from a ton of quality control/engineering issues. They were and are still being produced at the same locations, BUT< they improved their quality under pressure from other manufacturers and customer complaints ...

It is not a matter of where it is produced (mostly) It is a matter of companies' quality mentality ...

No one wants to produce something which will last 20 years anymore .... few years and they want you to buy a new one ... I guess they are trying to strike a balance between wanting to sell more as units die, customers complaining about short life spans, make slightly better units, adjust the price, keep in mind what the customer wants to pay. It is not a simple world anymore ...
Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #5

I see what yall are saying , My Question is I guess could F.R. Pay Americans a Liveable wage to make them here? I also heard putting a sound system in a trailer is crazy because of Bumps and things ,to witch I say The systems in our cars and hit bumps all the time and mostly don't break.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
The trailers themselves are made in Elkhary, Indiana .... I see no end to the complaints being voiced in this forum ....

It is a QA/QC and numbers issue .... And keep in mind, only people with issues complain. I do not see many people who take the time saying, my concertone is complete problem free. The water heater works flawlessly. The antenna raises and lowers without any issues. The wheels turn freely etc .. you get my point ...

Look at the truck manufacturers in Detroit ... All three suffered from a ton of quality control/engineering issues. They were and are still being produced at the same locations, BUT< they improved their quality under pressure from other manufacturers and customer complaints ...

It is not a matter of where it is produced (mostly) It is a matter of companies' quality mentality ...

No one wants to produce something which will last 20 years anymore .... few years and they want you to buy a new one ... I guess they are trying to strike a balance between wanting to sell more as units die, customers complaining about short life spans, make slightly better units, adjust the price, keep in mind what the customer wants to pay. It is not a simple world anymore ...

Everything on my camper works great so far with the exception of the Concertone. Jumping video
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #7

I have to agree on China's quality.
Maybe awhile back everything they made was pure junk.
Not the case anymore.
Yes somethings are very cheaply made but that is becasue an american firm designed it and and set the rice they were willing to pay for each unit.

The gentleman that commented on the Cisco produts is absolutely right.
You spec a high quality piece of equipment and China can produce it for you.
Spec junk.....guess what?......that's what you get.

I don't blame china for concertone issues, I blame Forest River.
They could have chosen a higher quality unit but they didn't.
They chose cheap and that's just what we got.
Now they are working to design a better unit. That's a good thing.
It's too bad it took all of this mess to get their attention but if that's what it takes then so be it.
I would love to have everything "Made in America" again but that time has come and gone.
I just don't see it coming back.

(Soap box dismounted)

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Checked mine today for operation--------

Checked my Concertone today for a upcoming trip, guess what? No video, plenty of sound but no video.

Did not quite last six months.

Waiting on two calls, one from Concertone and Rockwood warranty.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Your point is well taken. Although my camper has issues, the majority were related more towards my dealer than the manufacturer or any particular supplier. I am in fact delighted with my surround sound radio and use it every time we camp either to listen to our satellite radio; watch movies (either computer files or DVD); or watch TV with some oomph to it rather than the "crappy" tiny speakers jammed in as an afterthought to today's (All manufacturer's) flat screens.

Folks who complain about Al-Ko axles, for example, have never actually talked to them. They have one of the BEST customer service sections around. They have gone the extra mile for several of our members, including myself.

There of course will be no end to complaints because that is the nature of an open forum. You post here for solutions to problems or to find an ear for your gripe. No one posts to a forum to sing the praises of a product that meets their expectations. (Except me and I LOVE my new probes. Did I mention that? )
Old 06-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Checked my Concertone today for a upcoming trip, guess what? No video, plenty of sound but no video.

Did not quite last six months.

Waiting on two calls, one from Concertone and Rockwood warranty.
Sid, please recheck your connections and the correct input on your TV.
Not to say your radio did not blow up, but I have found that if something worked before and it suddenly does not now the answer is usually something simple.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #11

I think John & Deb & Bill Are on the same page I am, look My Amp in my great room, in 6 years has had to be fixed once. It was made in China . I'm not saying everything made in China Junk ,but it seems like a lot of it is. back in the 60's my Dad gave me a RCA Victor B&W TV for my first apartment Very used at the time I had Had that darn TV for 30 years + or - ,and when I gave it away to my Brother It worked Fine. Try to get a TV today to last 5 years is Hard. Hears my Problem I need to buy a New Sound System for our KZ ,now I have a POS (Pummel Drive ) the sounds Sick and now it Broke (Ate my best CD will not give it back). Do you think I want to get a new what sould like 2 watts ,Pummel Drive for $ 140 or spend $ 500 or more on a Concetone that's only a tiny bit Better? PS Jensen will not Fit.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecodys View Post
Yes somethings are very cheaply made but that is becasue an american firm designed it and and set the rice they were willing to pay for each unit.
Ok, I'm sure this is a typo, but I have to laugh that we are paying them rice for China to build our products... maybe with the world economy they are getting a better deal because our dollar doesn't represent much any more.... Of course,
China must be doing something right, they have money to loan to the world.

LMAO...
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
Ok, I'm sure this is a typo, but I have to laugh that we are paying them rice for China to build our products... maybe with the world economy they are getting a better deal because our dollar doesn't represent much any more.... Of course,
China must be doing something right, they have money to loan to the world.

LMAO...
Oh my! Yes I goofed. It should have been "price".
It is kind of funny though.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #14

The manufacturing companies will soon be looking for a new market to have their products made. Several years ago all manufacturing was being sent to Mexico and South America. The employees soon realized that they were producing product to send north and wanted a better way of life. They soon stated to want more money and new cars. The people in China are now seeing how the free world lives and they want their cars and a better way of life. The cost to produce the item will in crease to a point where it will not be economical to produce it there. India is becoming the new China. As consumers we want a high quality product at a low cost. That is why we have lost a lot of our manufacturing job in North America. I stated before that when I worked for Kwikset we were purchasing locks built in USA. The locks cost us $9.00 at the door. We were getting the same lock from China for $3.50 at the door (the same quality as USA built). When the locks were put side by side you could not tell the difference. As a manufacturing company where would you have your product made?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote