Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

Illuminated switches - amp draw?

Does anyone happen to know how amps the illuminated switched draw? My Roo 21ss has several of these switches (water heater, porch light, and water pump). I know that it is probably minimal but I do dry camp for 2-3 weeks at a time in the summer, & I am curious what kind of impact these lighted switches might have when you add it up over 2 weeks. I know I can simply turn off the water pump and water heater after each use but that is an awful lot of remembering for my feeble brain especially when my main goal is relaxation! I would also have to train my DW and DS to do the same.

Does anyone also know if I can simply disconnect the wire for the light? Will the switch still function? Or would I need to replace the switches with the non-illuminated variety?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtsx3 View Post
I am curious what kind of impact these lighted switches might have when you add it up over 2 weeks.
You're not going to charge your batteries camping for two weeks? You must have some plans to charge the battery. The draw from the lighted switches would be next to nothing compared to the water pump and overhead lighting. The CO2 detector probably draws more.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

I have 2 golf cart batteries and the only charging that gets done is hooking up to the TV every 2 to 3 days and letting it run for 15-20 minutes. I also take along the trailer's original 12 volt battery as back up but have never had to use it. I have replaced all the light bulbs with LEDs. That alone makes a significant difference in our battery usage. I have 12 volt bunk warmers that get plugged in for about 20 minutes before bed each night (for DW). Conservative water use. We made it for 2 weeks last year in this trailer but the batteries were almost stretched to their capacity. We are shooting for 3 weeks this June so I was just trying to consider any other possible ways to conserve amps. Assuming I will have to connect the spare battery this time.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That is impressive that you can go two weeks. You must be very frugal with you power. I have a family of five who are not that conservative with our power consumption and I know I can't go that long.

I can't answer your question regarding the power used with one of these lighted switches. Its part of the overall parasitic drain, however, and I'd imagine there are other drains that are greater draws.

I have two Trojan T-145 batteries and LED bulbs and I know I couldn't get two weeks out of them before I hit 50% (~12.06 volts) and must recharge. Were you below 50% after the two weeks?

You mentioned charging 15-20 minutes through your truck. That's really not going to add much (if anything).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

No info on what is his "single battery" or what is spare. It would have to be a newer high capacity unit to get half of that run time.

I have to say that with a standard OEM DP deep discharge battery with 70-90 AH capacity, 2 weeks is beyond reasonable (I assume he meant this as a slight exaggeration). The Propane detector alone will kill an OEM DP battery in 2-3 weeks.

Triguy is right on that a truck's alternator running for 15 minutes will only put a surface charge on a DP battery. Any load at all will suck it back to where it was.

As to the OP's question, the lighted switches typically switch high draw items. That is why they are lit in the first place to alert you they are ON.

Folks interested in battery longevity keep the water pump turned off (light out) and only turn it on to pressurize for a flush, for example.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The 12 volt Side of Life.pdf (438.4 KB, 51 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #6

We were in the mountains last July for 15 days using this method. My 2 6 volts are 110 ah each. Not sure what the voltage was on our last day. Didn't take a reading and of course they were partially charged again after the trip home. The previous year we spent 18 days but in a popup again using the same method for recharging. The 2 years before that in the popup for 2 weeks. My dad has been doing this since I was a kid and currently has a Wildcat 5th wheel. Think he has 2 12 volt batteries. He and my mom stayed another week after we left. We are frugal with power use. Lights are only on while getting ready for bed. Quick showers. Like I said this has worked for my dad for many years and I just followed suit. I have considered buying a generator but we only have this 1 extended camping trip each year. The rest of our camping is usually for 2-3 days and often in state parks with hookups. So it isn't really worth the investment.

I was just curious about the illuminated switches. I know why they are illuminated, but I think I can manage to figure out if they are on or not without the light. I know their draw is small but I think I will just try disconnecting the wire for the light. I think the switch will still function. Anybody know for sure?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
We were in the mountains last July for 15 days using this method. My 2 6 volts are 110 ah each. Not sure what the voltage was on our last day. Didn't take a reading and of course they were partially charged again after the trip home. The previous year we spent 18 days but in a popup again using the same method for recharging. The 2 years before that in the popup for 2 weeks. My dad has been doing this since I was a kid and currently has a Wildcat 5th wheel. Think he has 2 12 volt batteries. He and my mom stayed another week after we left. We are frugal with power use. Lights are only on while getting ready for bed. Quick showers. Like I said this has worked for my dad for many years and I just followed suit. I have considered buying a generator but we only have this 1 extended camping trip each year. The rest of our camping is usually for 2-3 days and often in state parks with hookups. So it isn't really worth the investment.

I was just curious about the illuminated switches. I know why they are illuminated, but I think I can manage to figure out if they are on or not without the light. I know their draw is small but I think I will just try disconnecting the wire for the light. I think the switch will still function. Anybody know for sure?
With 6 volt batteries of 110 AH each capacity, 110AH is all you have. Since they are hooked up in series the voltage doubles not the AHs. When 2 12 volt 110 AH batteries are hooked up in parallel, the voltage stays the same and the AHs double (220 AH).

I could show you the discharge curve graphs as to why deeply discharging your batteries is a very bad idea, or you can just do some research on your own. Discharging a deep discharge battery past 50% capacity reduces the number of available discharge cycles on a new battery. This means you will be buying new batteries more often.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-20808.html has a new post regarding the care and feeding of Trojan Batteries that is worth the read.

Of note:

5. How To Maximize the Performance of Your Trojan Battery

Follow all the procedures in this User’s Guide for proper installation, maintenance and storage

Do not discharge your battery more than 80%. This safety factor will eliminate the chance of over-discharging and damaging your battery

I f you have any questions or concerns about battery care, please contact Trojan Battery Company’s technical support engineers at 800-423-6569 or +1-562-236-3000 before a problem develops

Hope this helps...
Lou

I will take a look "behind the curtain" to see how the red "in use" light is wired; but I think it just taps off the switched hot side wire. You may have to replace the switch (if it is integral - like the water pump) or disconnect the light hot wire (if not - like the water heater) if not, to eliminate the light.

IMHO, just turning it off when not in use is easier.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. I have read the 12 volt side of life and understand the effect a deep discharge has on batteries. After the 18 days in the popup I mentioned the 12 volt I used at the time was down to 12.01 volts. Not ideal I know but not terrible. I am going to monitor my voltage more closely this summer with the 6 volts I use now (they are 210 AH btw not 110, mistyped). I may be abusing them a bit on this one trip but otherwise I try to take good care of them. I take them off the trailer and hook up to my 3 stage charger when at home.

My switches have three connections, the ground, the hot, and another hot for the light. So I think I can just take the light out of the circuit if I want, but like you said probably way easier to just remember to turn them off when not in use!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I thought 110 was a bit low for 6 volt deep discharge batteries.

Here is a handy chart that equates voltage with capacity.
Remember that to get a good voltage check the battery must be at rest (no load) for about 15 minutes to let the cells equalize.
(open circuit voltage in the chart)

A battery cut out switch makes this a snap (so to speak).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charge Chart.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	11022  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #10

Quote:

My switches have three connections, the ground, the hot, and another hot for the light. So I think I can just take the light out of the circuit if I want, but like you said probably way easier to just remember to turn them off when not in use!
I think you mean 3 connections hot in, hot to the load and the ground is for the lamp, it "borrows" the hot from withing the switch. Just remove the ground wire, the only thing it does is gives the light in the switch the ground to complete the circuit, the switch will work as normal.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote