Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #1

Installation of fan in outside rear of fridge

Has anyone installed a computer cooling fan in the outside compartment of their fridge? If so, where did you pick up the 12v power from? I have a Dometic DM2862 refrigerator.
Thank you.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

I put a 110v fan on ours about 4" by 4" in size. I was able to tie into the 110v outlet already there. My fan runs all the time when plugged in to shore power. The noise level isn't a bother and hardly noticable. It seems to work fine. On our PUP I did the same thing only used a dimmer switch to control the speed. This will help vent the heat by drawing in outside air and moving it past the coils and is installed on the outside.
If you are wanting someting inside the fridge you can get a small battery powered fan from Camping World for about $15. I think you can find 12 volts at the lite inside the fridge.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:32 AM   #3

Tmmar. I don't know if you read my recent posts regarding my RM1350 fridge (which actually comes from the factory with two axial fans already installed) but I installed a 107CFM, 12V fan into the vent on the roof. I taped into the existing fan power lines after the factory installed thermal switch. This way the fan comes on only when needed with the factory fans. This could however be hard to do without pulling the fridge out.

For a source of 12 volts you can just insert your wires into the supply block on the back of the fridge where the 12 volt wires for the fridge come in. They are readily accessible from the outside access plate. You will more than likely have a white wire A(+12v) and a green wire (-12V). Ours also has a blue wire that is the alternator line from the engine that actuates the automatic door lock. You could either wire in a switch on the line to turn it on and off manually or get a thermal switch like the ones that Dometic uses at an RV supply store and wire it inline to turn the fan on only when needed.

I bought my fan through WW Grainger. Be sure to select a fan that can be mounted horizontally. They stock all different sizes and CFM ratings. I would say that anything under about 60CFM isn't gonna do you much good. I believe that Radio Shack sells axial fans that are about 30cfm for around $11, but again the horizontal mount fans will cost more.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #4

I purchased a 12v fan with a thermistor at a computer store which will increase the speed as the temp rises and shut the fan off if it is below a certain temp. It is only 33 cfm though. I didn't realize that it would require more than that to be effective. I wound up calling Dometic and they told me where I could pick up the 12v from. Installed it yesterday and the fan has been on since then. I will go out to fridge to see how it is cooling.

Thank you to all who replied for your help.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #5

OOPS- dupe post.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I purchased a 12v fan with a thermistor at a computer store which will increase the speed as the temp rises and shut the fan off if it is below a certain temp. It is only 33 cfm though. I didn't realize that it would require more than that to be effective. I wound up calling Dometic and they told me where I could pick up the 12v from. Installed it yesterday and the fan has been on since then. I will go out to fridge to see how it is cooling.

Thank you to all who replied for your help.
I hope you didn't buy one of Dometics fans as someone else here was quoted $97 for that fan which is at best a $12 fan. I'm also not saying that 33CFM isn't enough, i'm not sure if it is or not but I am inclined to go bigger as the better air movement through there the better as far as I am concerned. The Dometic tech had told us that on many of these types of fridges they have had to install up to 5 fans to get them to cool right. If they are all 33 CFM fans then that is 165CFM of air movement. By installing the 107CFM fan in the vent of mine and having the two factory fans I am running 173CFM (I had to disable one of the two I installed as I had dropped it and knocked it out of balance or I would have had 280CFM).
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #7

NWJeeper,
No- it is not a Dometic fan. I purchased it at a local computer store (Microcenter) and it cost about $16. When I spoke to Dometic, they wanted $75 for the fan and $25 to ship it. I didn't really have any problem with the fridge before but I felt that any thing that could be done to improve or help the cooling couldn't be all that bad.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #8

on our 06 cedar creek i hung two 12v computer fans from radio shack about 2 feet down the vent hole and installed a switch at the bottom so i could turn em off in winter. don't know if it helped, but it did make me feel better.

our new rig has two fans as part of the fridge and they run often.

Tags
fan