Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
2604WS

installing satellite receiver

I'm sure I'll get some help on this one. We just purchased a new Rockwood Ultralite TT and the boss is hot to get a satellite system setup. We both have concerns about having a portable dish, mainly about bringing it in at night, etc because of concerns about theft. Anybody have a problem such as this? She's pushing for a permanent installation on the roof but i have concerns about putting new holes in the membrane. Is this something that i should be really concerned with due to roof warranty issues? I've seen a bracket that attaches portable units to a ladder and wondering if anyone has used this?

Any help is appreciated.
Kirk

Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

You can probably buy two Dish Tailgater's (portable) for what you'll pay for a roof mount. With a roof mount, what do you do when you're parked under trees?

The Tailgater has a place to attach a locking cable. Most people in a campground are pretty honest (but don't tempt them unnecessarily).

The Tailgater is extremely light so carrying it in (if you want to do that) is trivial. You just have to go thru setup again the next day, but that's easy and takes about 10 minutes.

Personally, I use a tripod and my own Dish that I got off of Craig's List. No one wants to steal that!

Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

Kirk
I use a Tailgater type and just put it on my roof
It works well for us as I don't always need or use it on every setup.
Iggy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	30606  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
2604WS

installing satellite receiver

Barry, you make a good point about trees causing a problem with permanent mounts. I also hear you about most people being honest. I've never had a problem in 20 years except for one time someone stole my beer. So, did you find a tailgater on craigslist or something else?

Iggy, that sounds like a good solution. Do you do anything to prevent it from blowing off the roof or do you bring it down under windy conditions?

Kirk
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
Barry, you make a good point about trees causing a problem with permanent mounts. I also hear you about most people being honest. I've never had a problem in 20 years except for one time someone stole my beer. So, did you find a tailgater on craigslist or something else?

Iggy, that sounds like a good solution. Do you do anything to prevent it from blowing off the roof or do you bring it down under windy conditions?

Kirk
I do have a rope I wrap around the AC unit and dish handle but it hasn't moved even in high winds. Most never even know it is up there.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
So, did you find a tailgater on craigslist or something else?
I bought the tripod and the round metal satellite "dish" (and the LNB that goes on it) off of Craig's List. (The previous owner used it for football tailgate parties.)

It's a matter of price vs. convenience (and the fact that I like to do things myself). With the Tailgater, it's all automatic but will set you back about $350. I spent $40 on the dish & tripod, and another $30 on a meter (to help with pointing the dish). It takes me about 10 minutes to put it all together at the campground and about another 10 minutes to get it pointing at the satellites correctly. (I hear that you can go to the shop of many Dish installers and they'll just give you a "dish"; still have to have a way to mount it.)
Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mine.
All free.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130516_091118.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	30636

Name:	ForumRunner_20130516_091133.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	30637
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

This is what I used to use when I travelled.
It is a homemade low profile ground mount.
The dish sits this way and if you are interested in this method here is a link to the website on the design and modifications on alignment.

LINK TO DESIGN PAGE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PVC Mount 001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	30639   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC Mount 002.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	30640   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC Mount 003.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	30641   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3161357.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	30642  

Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #9

Thanks Iggy! That's really cool! Only downside I see is that it looks like the dish will hold water if it's raining.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
2604WS

First off, you have all been great help and I might be getting the hand of this. This of course brings up more questions.

I've been looking on craigslist and have found some dish satellites. If I understand correctly, the LNB is the receiver piece sitting in the front of the dish. Is there a way to test these on a used dish to make sure there's no problem or don't they go bad?

I've noticed that some satellites support two receivers and some only one (I think the tailgater is only one). Is this referring to simultaneous viewing of different channels? We will be getting a TV for the bedroom in our new Rockwood 2604WS TT. So I'm guessing that we'll need a receiver for both TVs OR since my wife usually goes to bed before I do she'd be forced to watch what I'm watching. I'm not even sure if we had one receiver in the living room if the bedroom would get satellite or if it would only get broadcast TV.

Finally, I've seen Dish offers a Vip211K receiver and i'm wondering if it's any good?

thanks for all your help.
Kirk