Old 07-22-2016, 12:58 AM   #1

Inverter question

My sig trailer came with a 32" LCD TV, powered by AC. I finally decided to buy this 150W inverter and wire it up behind the TV so we can use it without having to run the generator when boondocking. For some weird reason, when I power the TV off the inverter, it creates horizontal lines on the screen, but only when playing from an actual video source. What I mean is, the startup screen that shows the manufacturer logo looks perfect. I've used a kill-a-watt meter to see what this TV draws, and it's 26-27 watts. After about 2 minutes of being on, the inverter craps out, and the TV shuts off.

Of course I cut the cable on the inverter so I could hard wire it, so I'm not sure I could return it. I really like this inverter though, because it's got 2 outlets and two 2.4A USB ports. What I'm wondering is, if I'm to buy a new inverter, would a pure sine wave inverter fix this, or does it sound like maybe my inverter is just bad? Or maybe it's both. Certainly charges the electronics just fine.

Any ideas?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

I would say you have two problems.

1) The TV draws more wattage than the inverter can continually put out.
2) The inverter is a modified sine wave than is causing some interference.

Purchase a 300 watt pure sine wave and you should be good to go.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

I have a 150w inverter to run my 32" TV and it works fine. I bought a cheap one at Walmart that plugs into a 12v cigarette lighter style socket. It sounds as if you hard wired yours somehow. How long of a run from the batteries to the inverter and what size wire did you use? My 12v accessory socket was installed with 8 ga wire and is rated at 15A. 12v loses a lot when run for more than a short distance. Is it possible that the wiring is too light and the inverter is not getting enough juice to operate effectively?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #4

Without a doubt, the TV does not draw more power than the inverter can put out. It's a 150W inverter, and TV uses only 26W.

The Inverter is most likely a modified sine wave type. Do these typically cause interference in LCD TVs?

I measured the factory wire, and it's 14ga, which is good for 15A, and is fused as such. 8ga would certainly be overkill, as at 8' that would support closer to 40A. Plus, I wouldn't be able to run a new wire without completely removing the fridge. The run is only from the top of the fridge to the converter which is below the fridge, so no more than about 8' of wire.

I have no problem buying a pure sine wave inverter, but I want to know I'm not wasting my money and that it's actually needed.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

You must have some extraordinary 32 inch LCD inch TV if it uses only 27 watts. A top of the line 32 inch LED TV uses more wattage.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

Try an experiment. Plug a 100 watt bulb into the inverter and see if it shuts down.

2007 Surveyor SV230
Old 07-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #7

Its possible its a LED tv? I want to say the tv in our mini lite is 15 watts. I believe its a 24"? A 32" led drawing 27 watts I don't think is too far fetched? maybe? The DVD player system obviously uses more but is 12 volt.

If the tv does not have any lines when hooked to shore power or other power like a generator when playing the same video source it is most likely related to the inverter.

Does it have a grounding lug? My GoPower Pure Sine has a chassis ground although I have never used it. Once I get around to permanently installing it I will chassis ground it.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #8

depending on the brand/co$t you may not actually get 150 watts from it... if it shuts down the TV, then it is being overdriven... that is it is not putting out the wattage the label says it does...

lines in the TV input signal indicate it is putting out "dirty" RF or AC power line interference that gets into the TV and is being displayed on the screen...

pure sine wave is a much better choice to eliminate RF interference, or at least something a little more co$tly if you purchase another modified sine wave...

before you cut cables on your next purchase, try it out for awhile

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Try an experiment. Plug a 100 watt bulb into the inverter and see if it shuts down.
This is a great suggestion and will rule in or out the inverter being overloaded.

BTW, I'm running the TV off a 200 watt that is over 20 years old, very low tech.

Tags
inverter