Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Is a Washer Dryer really worth it?

I am going to purchase a fifth wheel this year and am not sure whether or not to get a washer/dryer. I looked on-line and didn't see much. I am going to live in my trailer full time and travel. So I will take ALL my clothes with me. So my first thought is I am going to need all the space the Washer and Dryer will take in the closet. Second, It seems like if it's small, I will have to do a lot of loads to get the laundry done. Would it just be better to use the laundromat at the RV places, or public Laundromats? If the washer/dryer is best, which one? Combo? etc.?

I want to thank everyone who will and has posted on this website as it has been a tremendous help to me as I do research for purchasing my fifth wheel and prepare to live on the open road.
farlabania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The questions you have to ask yourself is.
Will they pay for themselves via.
Purchase Cost.
Having to go back and forth to either on site or off site facilities.
Making time to go to other facilities.
Is it easier to do two "big" loads a week.
Or 4 or so smaller loads.
Is the space they will go into really being used?
Or is the space better used for other things.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

if i was a full timer yes
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Always Learning

We don't have one. I cringe at the cost (in fact, I did the math and calculated how many loads of laundry we would have to do before breaking even). My wife, on the other hand, swears she wants one. She doesn't like campground laundromats. She'd much prefer to stay in her camper to do laundry.

Note, so far - we don't have one.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #5

We're kinda in the same boat, but decided against it. I don't like the idea of introducing moisture into the inside of the unit while drying clothes.

2013 Columbus 320RS
2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually 6.7 Cummins
Days Camped 2013 - 50
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

have a combo unit in mine, spent 4 months in it and used it every day, could have gone to camp laundry once a week but since the combo units wash and dry, I just throw in the clothes and go about my day. as far as moisture in the unit, the dryer is vented outside, never felt any change in the interior humidity and as far as heat , mine never even gets warm to the touch
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We don't have one. I cringe at the cost (in fact, I did the math and calculated how many loads of laundry we would have to do before breaking even). My wife, on the other hand, swears she wants one. She doesn't like campground laundromats. She'd much prefer to stay in her camper to do laundry.

Note, so far - we don't have one.
i have to be honest . if my wife wanted it i'd get it.

or she could tell you to do the laundry. then i bet you'dd get one.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #8

I say no but wife says yes, if you belive it, I won. About taking all of you clothes
with you, when we were looking for 5ers, over a 17 month period of time, we were looking at one and the wife stated that there was not enough room for her clothes, the salesman looks at me and asked if I was retired and I responded close but not yet and he responded when you retire all you need is a pair of jeans and a few T shirts. We still laugh about that and I had to agree with him. The better half didn't think it was funny at the time.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i have to be honest . if my wife wanted it i'd get it.

or she could tell you to do the laundry. then i bet you'dd get one.
Laundry, like dishes, are a woman's work. You won't catch me doing them.

At least until she starts doing the man's work - dumping & flushing tanks, taking out garbage, etc.

--

Heck, who am I kidding? I'm just joshing ya. I help with laundry and the dishes. If she wanted one that badly, we'd save up and get one. It's just not in the $$$-cards right now.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #10

If you are full timing the extra space will come in handy. Most CG have great laundry facilities. The space needed for a washer combo could be used for a small freezer which we find more useful.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #11

You're taking ALL of your clothes with you?? Damn. I'm no clothes horse and would need a bedroom full of racks to hang all of mine and Wifey's. If she wants a washer\dryer get one. Happy wife=happy camper. If you do decide on one, get a stackable unit which is vented.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlabania View Post
I am going to purchase a fifth wheel this year and am not sure whether or not to get a washer/dryer. I looked on-line and didn't see much. I am going to live in my trailer full time and travel. So I will take ALL my clothes with me. So my first thought is I am going to need all the space the Washer and Dryer will take in the closet. Second, It seems like if it's small, I will have to do a lot of loads to get the laundry done. Would it just be better to use the laundromat at the RV places, or public Laundromats? If the washer/dryer is best, which one? Combo? etc.?

I want to thank everyone who will and has posted on this website as it has been a tremendous help to me as I do research for purchasing my fifth wheel and prepare to live on the open road.
We full time in a motorhome, and we would NEVER be without a W/D. My wife would leave home forever if I took them out (not that I ever would). She's says she'd give up ANYTHING else in the coach before the W/D.

She LOVES to watch other "less fortunates" trudging off to the camp laundry or worse having to haul clothes downtown. BTW, Get the stackables, not the combo. A lot easier to get serviced by a regular appliance facility.

Lastly, we use the washer for storage of out dirty clothese. As soon as it fills up, we just run a cycle. VERY handy.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #13

SWMBO always wins!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Lastly, we use the washer for storage of out dirty clothese. As soon as it fills up, we just run a cycle. VERY handy.
I was going to suggest the same thing.

I lived out of my trailer for about 3 months. During that time I would use the campground facilities to wash my clothes, and was always finding that the machines were busy, or I was rushing to get a load in before the cutoff (the laundry room was locked over night).

Definitely would be convienient to have it installed. If you have the little bit extra $, and can live without the storage space in that area, go for it.

If you camp over the winter in cooler climates, you might also be able to use the dryer as a cooler. Not sure if the trailer setup up will be similar, but in house installations, some dryers get cool inside when not in use becasue of the large air vent. You can throw an extra case of beer in there to pre-cool it, when your fridge supply runs down, the extras are already half way cold.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #15

We are plumbed for a washer/Dryer hook-up but so far we are waiting to see if we can justifiy them. Doing many small loads everyday in the camper vs. a wash day once a week or so.

In the meantime we did buy this to accomodate washing a few critical items between laundry visits:

Ezywash Portable Washer - Mr. Heater F235883 - Washers - Camping World

To me, it's like a big blender with a drain, but my wife really likes it so I guess that means I do to!.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #16

Hi We are full timing while travelling through the UK, we have got a twin tub, and small tumble dry we purchased after being going for 4 months. It paid for itself within 3 months of laundry costs.

Hope it helps

Regards
Ian
ontheroadguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post

If you camp over the winter in cooler climates, you might also be able to use the dryer as a cooler. Not sure if the trailer setup up will be similar, but in house installations, some dryers get cool inside when not in use becasue of the large air vent. You can throw an extra case of beer in there to pre-cool it, when your fridge supply runs down, the extras are already half way cold.

ROTL and LMAO!!!! I'd love to see the wifey's face when she discovered the brewskys in the dryer!!! Or even better..... She thinks there's really clothes in there instead of the beer and turns the thing on!!!!!

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #18

I went for one after making one too many trips to the laundromat. I did it out of conveinance, not cost savings. Plus that chirping bird that is my wife was forced to find a different issue to chirp. We decided on the stackable apartment version as we are mostly in parks with all the hookups. I tore out a closet and built them in. If your boondocking thats a different story altogether. Go the 5 gallon bucket and the "rapid washer"

I would read through the guide on Doityourselfrv if your on the fence. http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-was...guide/ ‎
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #19

In a word absolutely! If you have the space and funds go for it. Now I wished I had a dishwasher to go with WD, no space, but more time savings!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
ROTL and LMAO!!!! I'd love to see the wifey's face when she discovered the brewskys in the dryer!!! Or even better..... She thinks there's really clothes in there instead of the beer and turns the thing on!!!!!

Boowho??
You may be laughting now, but you probably won't be after you clean up the mess when she starts it up.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote