Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #41

Today I threw in the towel and ordered a new residential Frigidaire model FFTR1022QM from Home Depot. It will be here Thursday weather permitting. I completely disassembled and pulled the horribly installed Norcold out today, capped off the gas line, and will be enlarging the compartment for the new fridge tomorrow and Wednesday.

The Norcold had cheap duct tape all over it and even covering obvious scars from manhandling. They also were far too trigger happy with their Dicor gun and got it EVERYWHERE. This includes gluing the fridge to the cabinet nearly all the way around. I had to hammer a 1x underneath it from the back for leverage just to get under the front to cut the Dicor. Glad I wasn't worried about damaging the unit or I doubt it would have come out. This hunk of who knows what has already been stripped and parts and pieces will arrive on Ebay by the end of the week to offset the new fridge purchase price a little.

The way the cabinet was built leaves me plenty of room to get my 3" clearance on the sides and top so I see no worries with the new Frigidaire as long as the delivery guys can get the 24" unit through the 24 1/8" RV door. I really don't want to pull the door frame.

Thank you all for your suggestions. They were all much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrader View Post
Today I threw in the towel and ordered a new residential Frigidaire model FFTR1022QM from Home Depot. It will be here Thursday weather permitting. I completely disassembled and pulled the horribly installed Norcold out today, capped off the gas line, and will be enlarging the compartment for the new fridge tomorrow and Wednesday.

The Norcold had cheap duct tape all over it and even covering obvious scars from manhandling. They also were far too trigger happy with their Dicor gun and got it EVERYWHERE. This includes gluing the fridge to the cabinet nearly all the way around. I had to hammer a 1x underneath it from the back for leverage just to get under the front to cut the Dicor. Glad I wasn't worried about damaging the unit or I doubt it would have come out. This hunk of who knows what has already been stripped and parts and pieces will arrive on Ebay by the end of the week to offset the new fridge purchase price a little.

The way the cabinet was built leaves me plenty of room to get my 3" clearance on the sides and top so I see no worries with the new Frigidaire as long as the delivery guys can get the 24" unit through the 24 1/8" RV door. I really don't want to pull the door frame.

Thank you all for your suggestions. They were all much appreciated.
Might be narrower front doorto back if the doors are off ? Not sure though.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 AM   #43

Curious why you went with the frigedaire over the vissani? Either way, i think you made a good call...

Edit: careful on too many liquids in the door. Some dont give much room for adjustment up
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
Might be narrower front doorto back if the doors are off ? Not sure though.
The specs say depth without doors is 23.437 inches so we have an option if need be.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:22 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Curious why you went with the frigedaire over the vissani? Either way, i think you made a good call...

Edit: careful on too many liquids in the door. Some dont give much room for adjustment up
Mainly availability. They didn't have one in my area for weeks and I need it sooner. I also didn't like the dedicated cola can holders all over the door. I only put a few cans in the fridge at any one time anyway so I wanted to keep the door for the condiments and not have them taking up food room on the shelves. I spent more but I trust Frigidaire and have never heard of Vissani. When we get our house built it will make a nice extra fridge.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:22 AM   #46

Ok...my frigedaire slid right in with no cutting width or heigth wise. I took out the equivalent of an n841. I think your model was shorter but it will be the same width. You may want to wait on cutting the sides, i think they a smidge narrower than 24". I did not even mould it out, it shoehorned right in, looks great. Good Luck...phew, we made it...closure..hehe
Old 03-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #47

I wish it were that easy. My opening is 23 1/2 from trim to trim and I have to cut out 7 1/2 inches to make it the proper height. To make things worse all of the trim is face glued to the paneling sections in addition to staples so I have to freehand cut with a crappy blade.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #48

All done. Frigidaire was delivered today and I got it securely installed. Shimmed the front and screwed in brackets made from metal plumber's tape to all four face corners to lock it in level. So glad this is all over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	70755  
Old 03-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #49

Great work. Looks good. Glad to see that you proceeded with the solution that works best for you. Good that the dimensions for the refrigerator that you bought weren't figured in metric, converted to inches, and rounded off the wrong way, leaving you with a new refrigerator that would almost fit through the door.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Great work. Looks good. Glad to see that you proceeded with the solution that works best for you. Good that the dimensions for the refrigerator that you bought weren't figured in metric, converted to inches, and rounded off the wrong way, leaving you with a new refrigerator that would almost fit through the door.
Thanks. Still have some trim work to do but thankfully they didn't even have to take the doors off.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #51

Tags
bypass, fridge, power