Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #1

Is the Dometic Fridge THAT sensitive?! (Solved)

Plugged in the TT yesterday and so far everything is working great, except the fridge.

I know they can be sensitive to imbalance and I know our unit is not level in our driveway but I didn't think it was THAT far off.

BF will reposition it when he gets home today. The unit didn't come with levelers. He has wood blocks he will try to shim and level with. Can we buy levelers? Are they super expensive? I REALLY hope we can get the fridge working. Next we will test the heating system.
SoggyGranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I have 2 sets of 10 "Lego" blocks. RV Levelers | Lynx Levelers | Levelers

I also bought a set of 4 "top caps" for the tires to sit on.
The caps fit 2 to a bag (one on top and one on the side) of the 10 Lynx bag.

I also keep 4 pieces 1 foot square pressure treated 3/4 inch plywood to put under them when on soft ground.

You are correct.
An out of level camper will not only fail to cool; it will also destroy your fridge (running out of level over time).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Agree, shouldn't run it for long out of level. Got to ask though, is it turned on "auto"? Are you sure the "gas" only button isn't pressed in or set for gas only? Since you didn't mention make, model, year, new used, has the fridge ever worked? Are you really sure you have power? Sometimes the GFI will trip, either in the house or camper. Plug a dryer in a wall plug and verify power, or check the clock on the microwave.

Sometimes it really is the simple stuff.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranola View Post
BF will reposition it when he gets home today. The unit didn't come with levelers. He has wood blocks he will try to shim and level with. Can we buy levelers?
When you say unit didn't come with levelers, I wonder what you mean?
IF you are thinking about scissor jacks at each corner- these are not
meant for leveling. They are for stabilizing once you are parked and
level.
You have to use blocks or boards or dig a hole under the high tires to
get level side to side. Then use the tongue jack to get level front to
back. IF you're talking about a 5th wheel it's still similar. You have
to level side to side via boards or blocks or digging. Then use jacks
for front to back leveling.

Hope getting level fixes your problem.
Try it on gas. It's possible the electric is out but not likely....
Good Luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Fridge on gas cools better than electric.

It does cost gas, but might help keep your food cold until you can get your camper leveled.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on your camper (one axle/two axles) and where you camp, you might want three bags of those Lynx. I had two bags but ran out of them on several trips on some sites where we didn't have electric. These sites at our SPs tend not to have a good pad. I was using most of the blocks to raise up one side of the camper and then felt I was overextending my power jack if the front needed to be raised.

I bought a third set this year. Again, not a problem with the electric sites we sometimes get because they tend to have a nice pad. It depends where you like to go.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #7

aside from the level part, you say you plugged in the trailer yesterday....so how log has the fridge actually been running?? mine takes a day minimum to get cold, and some others i know take even longer than that....especially if you just plug it in and let it go from empty....you have to be pretty out o level to effect cooling. The manual states it needs to be level enough for (comfortable living)....whatever that means...LOL..

i feel dizzy in the trailer if its off even a little..so i like mine as level as possible..
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranola View Post
Plugged in the TT yesterday and so far everything is working great, except the fridge.

I know they can be sensitive to imbalance and I know our unit is not level in our driveway but I didn't think it was THAT far off.

BF will reposition it when he gets home today. The unit didn't come with levelers. He has wood blocks he will try to shim and level with. Can we buy levelers? Are they super expensive? I REALLY hope we can get the fridge working. Next we will test the heating system.
How long have you had it on? I'm new to this too & thought my fridge wasn't working, maybe because trailer wasn't level. It took a few hours to begin to feel cool. Also fridge seems to be absolutely quiet which fooled me.
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rce View Post
How long have you had it on? I'm new to this too & thought my fridge wasn't working, maybe because trailer wasn't level. It took a few hours to begin to feel cool. Also fridge seems to be absolutely quiet which fooled me.
yes, that rv fridge is quite a bit diff than your residential unit. Many people think its not working correctly because the all to familiar compressor sound is not there when its running. mine hardly makes a sound when on a/c, and while running on propane, if you go to outside cover, you can JUSSSSSt make out the sound of the propane being used ...its a very small flame tho...not like your furnace....more like a pilot light.....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Agree, shouldn't run it for long out of level. Got to ask though, is it turned on "auto"? Are you sure the "gas" only button isn't pressed in or set for gas only? Since you didn't mention make, model, year, new used, has the fridge ever worked? Are you really sure you have power? Sometimes the GFI will trip, either in the house or camper. Plug a dryer in a wall plug and verify power, or check the clock on the microwave.

Sometimes it really is the simple stuff.
The TT is 1997. The fridge is Dometic Americana. Not sure the age. It's model 2652. Supposedly everything was running over the winter last year. I'm not sure if "everything" included the fridge or not. When we plugged in the h2o pump started running. The lights are working. The auto indicator light was on. The night light I plugged into the bathroom works. Am I safe to assume there is power?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #11

We plugged it in last night around 8-9p and checked it this morning around 8a. The "manual" says 4 hours to cool it down. Maybe we didn't leave it run long enough?

There aren't corner jacks with the camper, to my knowledge. I'm thinking he is going to use a jack to jack up the sides and put blocks under the tires? I'm an idjit about all this and he isn't a complete jack wagon so he might know what he's doing. All I see outside near the thing is one hydrolic jack and of course the tongue jack.

I'm also sensitive to level. I notice since we filled the freshwater tank it's worse since it was leaning towards that side anyway. That's the side with the fridge on it too.

Will it work out of level with the gas? At this point I just want to make sure it's functional. Being out of level is our issue which can be corrected. A burned out fridge unit that needs to be replaced can't be corrected without replacement or repair.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have 2 sets of 10 "Lego" blocks.

I also bought a set of 4 "top caps" for the tires to sit on.
Dag-gum-it Lou, I will now have to spend more money......I didn't know those "top caps" existed.

2 bags of Lynx Levelers can usually do the trick.....some for the tires, some for the stab jacks.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy

Dag-gum-it Lou, I will now have to spend more money......I didn't know those "top caps" existed.

2 bags of Lynx Levelers can usually do the trick.....some for the tires, some for the stab jacks.
Got the "toppers" as well.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #14

More info...the propane is not hooked up yet. So we just have it plugged in to the electric.

BF went out to the TT this morning and the light was on AUTO but the CHECK light was also on. He turned it off and on again and heard it trying to ignite. Obviously, it wouldn't since there was no lp hooked up.

Does this help?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #15

Is the fridge plugged in? There is a separate plug for the fridge behind the outside vent. Is the breaker for the fridge tripped? If on auto and the check light is on it sound like you do not have AC going to the fridge.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #16

Ahh. Nothing like K.I.S.S.

I am not yet familiar with the hums and sounds of Kamp Kram and didn't notice the absence of the soon-to-be-familiar hum of the converter. It would seem our GFI had tripped at some point during the night which explains why the fridge kept trying to connect to the lp.

I reset the GFI and started everything back up again. Oh and discovered a pesky leak in the kitchen faucet while I was putzing around in there. I did check the bathroom faucet and no leak there!!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #17

See your already figuring out your own problems. Thats the best part! You'll be a "mechanic" in no time.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #18

Update! Checked it this morning. It ran all night without tripping the GFI and it's cool as a cucumber!!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
X2!!

On to the next issue SoggyGranola!!
imflyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #20

LOL..It's always a new adventure! I love problem solving.

The leaky spigot was the next issue. BF took it today to the camper store and had to get a whole new faucet. It was only $22 so didn't kill us.

Following my research I think when we get back and have $ we will replace with a traditional faucet from HD or Lowes.

Tonight we will test the gas (sounds like deja vu but we haven't gotten to it yet!) and hopefully the HW and the oven/stove will work!

1st World Camper Problem #71652- The Krapper stinks! Finally found Calgon today and am about to mix up a batch of GeoMethod and flush it.