Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Is the Dometic Fridge THAT sensitive?! (Solved)

Plugged in the TT yesterday and so far everything is working great, except the fridge.

I know they can be sensitive to imbalance and I know our unit is not level in our driveway but I didn't think it was THAT far off.

BF will reposition it when he gets home today. The unit didn't come with levelers. He has wood blocks he will try to shim and level with. Can we buy levelers? Are they super expensive? I REALLY hope we can get the fridge working. Next we will test the heating system.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I have 2 sets of 10 "Lego" blocks. RV Levelers | Lynx Levelers | Levelers

I also bought a set of 4 "top caps" for the tires to sit on.
The caps fit 2 to a bag (one on top and one on the side) of the 10 Lynx bag.

I also keep 4 pieces 1 foot square pressure treated 3/4 inch plywood to put under them when on soft ground.

You are correct.
An out of level camper will not only fail to cool; it will also destroy your fridge (running out of level over time).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Agree, shouldn't run it for long out of level. Got to ask though, is it turned on "auto"? Are you sure the "gas" only button isn't pressed in or set for gas only? Since you didn't mention make, model, year, new used, has the fridge ever worked? Are you really sure you have power? Sometimes the GFI will trip, either in the house or camper. Plug a dryer in a wall plug and verify power, or check the clock on the microwave.

Sometimes it really is the simple stuff.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranola View Post
BF will reposition it when he gets home today. The unit didn't come with levelers. He has wood blocks he will try to shim and level with. Can we buy levelers?
When you say unit didn't come with levelers, I wonder what you mean?
IF you are thinking about scissor jacks at each corner- these are not
meant for leveling. They are for stabilizing once you are parked and
level.
You have to use blocks or boards or dig a hole under the high tires to
get level side to side. Then use the tongue jack to get level front to
back. IF you're talking about a 5th wheel it's still similar. You have
to level side to side via boards or blocks or digging. Then use jacks
for front to back leveling.

Hope getting level fixes your problem.
Try it on gas. It's possible the electric is out but not likely....
Good Luck!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Fridge on gas cools better than electric.

It does cost gas, but might help keep your food cold until you can get your camper leveled.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on your camper (one axle/two axles) and where you camp, you might want three bags of those Lynx. I had two bags but ran out of them on several trips on some sites where we didn't have electric. These sites at our SPs tend not to have a good pad. I was using most of the blocks to raise up one side of the camper and then felt I was overextending my power jack if the front needed to be raised.

I bought a third set this year. Again, not a problem with the electric sites we sometimes get because they tend to have a nice pad. It depends where you like to go.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #7

aside from the level part, you say you plugged in the trailer yesterday....so how log has the fridge actually been running?? mine takes a day minimum to get cold, and some others i know take even longer than that....especially if you just plug it in and let it go from empty....you have to be pretty out o level to effect cooling. The manual states it needs to be level enough for (comfortable living)....whatever that means...LOL..

i feel dizzy in the trailer if its off even a little..so i like mine as level as possible..
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranola View Post
Plugged in the TT yesterday and so far everything is working great, except the fridge.

I know they can be sensitive to imbalance and I know our unit is not level in our driveway but I didn't think it was THAT far off.

BF will reposition it when he gets home today. The unit didn't come with levelers. He has wood blocks he will try to shim and level with. Can we buy levelers? Are they super expensive? I REALLY hope we can get the fridge working. Next we will test the heating system.
How long have you had it on? I'm new to this too & thought my fridge wasn't working, maybe because trailer wasn't level. It took a few hours to begin to feel cool. Also fridge seems to be absolutely quiet which fooled me.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rce View Post
How long have you had it on? I'm new to this too & thought my fridge wasn't working, maybe because trailer wasn't level. It took a few hours to begin to feel cool. Also fridge seems to be absolutely quiet which fooled me.
yes, that rv fridge is quite a bit diff than your residential unit. Many people think its not working correctly because the all to familiar compressor sound is not there when its running. mine hardly makes a sound when on a/c, and while running on propane, if you go to outside cover, you can JUSSSSSt make out the sound of the propane being used ...its a very small flame tho...not like your furnace....more like a pilot light.....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Agree, shouldn't run it for long out of level. Got to ask though, is it turned on "auto"? Are you sure the "gas" only button isn't pressed in or set for gas only? Since you didn't mention make, model, year, new used, has the fridge ever worked? Are you really sure you have power? Sometimes the GFI will trip, either in the house or camper. Plug a dryer in a wall plug and verify power, or check the clock on the microwave.

Sometimes it really is the simple stuff.
The TT is 1997. The fridge is Dometic Americana. Not sure the age. It's model 2652. Supposedly everything was running over the winter last year. I'm not sure if "everything" included the fridge or not. When we plugged in the h2o pump started running. The lights are working. The auto indicator light was on. The night light I plugged into the bathroom works. Am I safe to assume there is power?