Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #1

Issues with 3 day old Alpha Wolf

Hello, Danley family here. Sitting on the couch freezing this morning. Been having a few issues with this trailer I was hoping some of you could help me with. Our situation: I am sureany of you have heard about the nasty forest fire up in norther California that started the 8th of November. Our family evacuated the are just in time, however, unable to save anything except pets and a couple of things for our new born baby. We made a little drive and rented a 2017 forest river Cherokee to stay out of any shelters (obviously a shelter would have been a bad idea with a new born). Stayed in this trailer first 2 weeks and learn a little few things about trailer. After we saw photos of our property completely burned to a crisp we decided that we should buy a trailer to call home. For the next...?? However long it takes before they let us rebuild. 2019 Alpha wolf seemed exactly what we wanted. Cold weather ready or so we thought. Among several issue in the first 3 days the heating is very important. I've spent a lot of time on phones and reading to no avail. Tanks are full, line pressure seems good. Stove top works great. The furnace comes on and gets hot for about a min, then cycles off to cool the unit I'm told, then cycles back to hot air an repeats. Problem with this is it's not heating the trailer. Im tired of seeing wife cold and wondering if it's too cold for baby. I had to get trailer delivered as my diesel was lost to the fire. I have no way to tow trailer and ko funds to pay for a random guy whom may void any type of warranty I may have. Anyone know of something I can do myself? Preferably today, really don't want to put them through another night. The other Cherokee we rented would cook you out of the trailer and from what I understand this is the same heating unit. I'm at a loss, please advise.

Thedanleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

2019 alpha wolf 26rl-l is the exact model.
Sorry for my typing an spelling, finger are sorta numb

Old 12-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #3

Stating the obvious but have you called the dealer? I'm sure they know you have no way of bringing the RV back to them for repair so they may be willing to send a tech out to you. Usually that problem is one of two things, Sail switch is bad or controller board is bad both of which are easy to replace by somebody that knows what they're doing. The heater is warranted by the heater manufacturer itself NOT the rv manufacturer so they won't be of any help. Call the heater manufacturer and explain your situation they may be more willing to help given your situation by send out a mobile tech. I know that area of the fire well, I used to live in Sacramento and worked that area, I'm very sorry for the loss you've suffered but glad you and your family are fine.
Ordered 2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK (Being Painted)
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #4

I'm not familiar with the specific trailer, but I'd guess at that size it has ducted heating. The symptoms sound like the ducting is blocked somewhere. If there are any heating vents, is there significant airflow when the heater is running ? If not you'd need to trace the ducting. Maybe somebody on here knows how the ducting is running in these types of trailer.

Assuming you have AC power, you could use some other heat source for the time being.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #5

Got some space heaters just now. So I've talked to more people and it appears this is gonna be a design error. Not sure what forest river will do about it but I hope something. This unit has only two little ducting hoses. 4inch I believe coming off it. 2 is not enough. The unit needs more air through it. It's heating up and shutting down. Prob shouldn't have bought the first year of a new model. I get all the bugs
Old 12-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
Site Team

You can use a mobile RV tech for warranty work. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #7

For a 25k+ BTU furnace two ducts would indeed not be enough. That would be a pretty big engineering screw up though so there might be something else going on. Note that there is often ducting under the floor that the furnace dumps into from the top. Hence my question if all heating vents work, it would not be the first time that something isn't built right. Another possible issue is that hot air gets recirculated into the furnace air intake due to a leak or a badly placed vent.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
Assistant TP Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedanleys View Post
Got some space heaters just now. So I've talked to more people and it appears this is gonna be a design error. Not sure what forest river will do about it but I hope something. This unit has only two little ducting hoses. 4inch I believe coming off it. 2 is not enough. The unit needs more air through it. It's heating up and shutting down. Prob shouldn't have bought the first year of a new model. I get all the bugs
Good find on the issue.

A mobile tech can add a couple ducts and difuusers likely. I would contact the selling dealer for direction and then Forest River if they can not help.

Take care, sorry to hear of the devastating news on your house and contents.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #9

Picked up the last new 5er, transferred from the one being traded and headed to our snowbird location. 1st night furnace was blowing fuses. 500 miles from dealer and not wanting to play with the builder so called the furnace manufacturer. They gave a list of authorized mobile techs in our snowbird location. Said to call them to find which could meet us there late afternoon. Yes, I paid the service call and the manufacturer covered the rest.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 PM   #10

Are you at a campground with electricity or camping using propane only?

If you've got electricity ( and I'm sure money is tight ), consider picking up at least one space heater that has temperature control and is cool to the touch. They're usually under $50 at somewhere like WalMart.

The other solution would be a sleeping bag rated for the temperatures you're experiencing. In our household, one of us likes the cold, the other one has a sleeping bag on their side of the bed even in the summer.

CaptnJohn's advice about contacting the furnace manufacturer is spot on. You need to keep that baby and your wife warm. Congratulations on your new little one.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote