Old 06-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
It's ME again! New TV Question....

I won't bore y'all with all my previous craziness in all the trouble I've had with TV. Most of you roll your eyes anyway, cause apparently I'm the onliest one that has these chronic issues!

Summary....Have Direct TV at home. Bought manual SWM w/ LNB 5 and tripod. Mostly works, but constant frustration in setting up manual dish every camping trip. Takes hours. HD is a must, Fox Sports MW is a must, local channels are a must (in HD).

So.....bought a Pathway X2 and got Dish's "pay as you go" monthly package. Course, that's another $80 a month for the months I use it!!! Set that up first time last week on camping trip. Works fine, but DISH sucks. Local channels are SD only (World Cup in SD??? Gimme a break!), dish has to move every time you change channels (minor issue), and we lost power 3 times at the campsite, and DISH has to start completely over every time, about 15 minutes each time! Nonsense.

When I got on here and asked about the Pathway, I said someone should invent similar for Direct TV with HD. I was told "Hey, they have. It's called Winegard Trav'ler". DUH!!

So now I have two RV Dish setups. I got both temporarily to see what I wanted to do long term. Well........what I want is the robust programming and functionality of Direct TV with an automatic dish like DISH.

Which leads me to the Trav'ler. Expensive!!

But.......regardless, I need to know the practicality of carrying this thing as a portable unit and setting it up on tripod, or picnic table, whatever....each trip. The only info I can read is how to set it up on roof of a Motorhome. I have a simple bumper pull TT. I don't need multiple receivers, just one TV.

SO!! Here are my questions. If you fit the bill, PM me and if possible, I'll give my Tel. Number and will pay you to let me ask some questions.

1) How practical is it to use the Trav'ler as a portable unit on TT?? Does ANYONE do this? 53 lbs. is heavy, but not too bad. Besides, heavy seems better once it's set up. My manual dish blows around in heavy wind.

2) What programming, if any, is lost by not receiving Sats 110 and 119? (I don't know where Fox Sports MW, Channel 671, comes from, but that one is a must).

3) Must be a 'gotcha'. What are they? What's missing?

I will check back later to see if any responses. I do appreciate all you guys' help in the last year with my Trials and Tribulations (Should be TT acronym, not Travel Trailer!!!). I find out more here than I do anywhere. You guys are the bestest.

BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I have a wineguard carry out and love it!
I have dish network so I probably can't be of anymore help.

"Sabre owners united"

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
The Pathway X2 is great, if you like DISH Network. I made a platform for it to fit on the tripod, get it off the ground. I just don't like DISH and I sure don't like having to pay for two services.

Been in this Camping Thing officially one year. Still exploring options. The TV issue seems to be the most complex, the most varied, with the less information available, of any other part of camping.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
I guess either no one uses the Trav'ler or they don't use it with a TT. Hmmm.

I've emailed Winegard and asked for details. Nothing yet.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Not sure where else to turn, so I emailed Winegard with my issues. Disappointed in their answer:

Using the Trav'ler as a portable system is not something we can recommend. It's quite possible that modifying the unit would void the 2 year warranty that the system comes with.

Winegard Technical Service

I have no idea how I'd be 'modifying' the unit!?!?!?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Wayne & Kim
I got the Pathway X1 and got 110,119, and 129, the latter of which is almost only HD channels. Worked great for me, and has built in capability to mouse t to a roof if desired. I did an expanded review of it elsewhere in the forum if you care to read it.
Wayne and Kim

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Mod free 5er
I have a regular Dish antenna and a Tailgater and a homemade tripod and don't have any problem pulling in 110 and 119. Get local channels everywhere we go by just calling Dish and giving them our new location.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
We have used our Winegard Tailgater for a couple years. Just plug it in it finds the satelites. No problems.
Moose509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
we have a dish 500 duel Lamb dish 500 dish on a small tripod that worked great I use to have a winegard portable which also worked good but couldn't get all of my subscribed channels due to only one lmb

j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote