Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Jensen AWM914 Questions

I posted this a Crusader thread a few days ago and only got one response so maybe someone who has a similar setup can answer.

I noticed something yesterday with the Jensen stereo. The Wife likes to lay in bed and read or mess with around on her tablet and have music on and if I want to watch TV we would just put the stereo in "B" mode in our old camper (didn't have outside speakers). So with the Crusader having the "B" speakers going outside we have a slight problem doing that. I read the manual and it shows that you can fade front to rear or vice-versa problem solved right NOT. When using the "A" speakers and fading front to rear one channel is in the bedroom and the other is in the living room so, if you fade it to say the rear only you only get one channel. Did the installer just mess up or is this how everyone else's works? If not has anyone removed theirs and is the wiring easy to change around?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

Rick...it sounds like the problem is that you have ONE speaker mounted in the bedroom...and one in the living room and TWO outside. So the real problem is that you don't have a pair of stereo speakers in the bedroom...OR a pair of stereo speakers in the living room.
Your Jensen is capable of ONLY powering 4 total speakers at a time. So this was not an error ...but a choice on the part of the mfr. since most people don't care about stereo from ceiling speakers. My suggestion if you want stereo in the bedroom is to remove the living room speaker and extend the 2 wires attached to it with a couple of butt connectors into the bedroom where you can mount the speaker you just removed and reconnect. You can buy a grill cover for the hole in the living room ceiling!
If you want stereo in BOTH rooms...you'll need to visit a car stereo shop (or all Crutchfield.com) to get a small 4 channel amp with high level inputs OR use what is called a line level converter. This would allow you to power the outside speakers from the radio and the 2 pairs of indoor speakers from the amplifier.
For the record...any wires coming from the back of your radio that have ANY Gray or White color in them are for speaker A switch on your radio gray for right...white for left. The purple and green based wiring is for speakers on B with left & right again respectively. All other wires are power or clock or grounding wires and should not be messed with.
If you attempt any of this yourself...be sure the radio remains OFF until ALL speakers are connected or you can blow an output stage which is neither fun nor cheap!
Hope this helps a bit.
If it were me...I'd try the bedroom move with the living room speaker...but get a nice table radio/boombox for the "lounge" as a simpler solution. A small inverter could let you run one off of 12V cheaply. Check out Cambridge Soundworks, Tivoli Audio and CCrane for some ideas. good luck!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

my new Coachmen 5th wheel has "A' "B" and "C" speakers. A is living room, B is bedroom, and C is outside. Maybe an upgrade to this model radio would help you achieve what you are looking for. I would have to look up model number if you are interested.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
my new Coachmen 5th wheel has "A' "B" and "C" speakers. A is living room, B is bedroom, and C is outside. Maybe an upgrade to this model radio would help you achieve what you are looking for. I would have to look up model number if you are interested.

Mine also has the a,b,c buttons for sound. On our shakedown trip we entertained the neighboring campsite with our movie.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

I have a new crusader but have two stereos. One in living room and a desperate one in bedroom. Though that's how all crusaders were?? No??
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Rick...it sounds like the problem is that you have ONE speaker mounted in the bedroom...and one in the living room and TWO outside. So the real problem is that you don't have a pair of stereo speakers in the bedroom...OR a pair of stereo speakers in the living room.
Your Jensen is capable of ONLY powering 4 total speakers at a time. So this was not an error ...but a choice on the part of the mfr. since most people don't care about stereo from ceiling speakers. My suggestion if you want stereo in the bedroom is to remove the living room speaker and extend the 2 wires attached to it with a couple of butt connectors into the bedroom where you can mount the speaker you just removed and reconnect. You can buy a grill cover for the hole in the living room ceiling!
If you want stereo in BOTH rooms...you'll need to visit a car stereo shop (or all Crutchfield.com) to get a small 4 channel amp with high level inputs OR use what is called a line level converter. This would allow you to power the outside speakers from the radio and the 2 pairs of indoor speakers from the amplifier.
For the record...any wires coming from the back of your radio that have ANY Gray or White color in them are for speaker A switch on your radio gray for right...white for left. The purple and green based wiring is for speakers on B with left & right again respectively. All other wires are power or clock or grounding wires and should not be messed with.
If you attempt any of this yourself...be sure the radio remains OFF until ALL speakers are connected or you can blow an output stage which is neither fun nor cheap!
Hope this helps a bit.
If it were me...I'd try the bedroom move with the living room speaker...but get a nice table radio/boombox for the "lounge" as a simpler solution. A small inverter could let you run one off of 12V cheaply. Check out Cambridge Soundworks, Tivoli Audio and CCrane for some ideas. good luck!
There are two speakers in the LR and two in the BR that's why I think the wiring is messed up.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
If it wouldn't be to much of a problem I would appreciate it.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
I have a new crusader but have two stereos. One in living room and a desperate one in bedroom. Though that's how all crusaders were?? No??
In my 325res there is a Soundbar above the Fireplace and a stand alone DVD player in the cabinet both are connected to the TV and AWM914 is mounted into the side of the Chest of Drawers in the bedroom. It doesn't have a CD Player it has BT,Aux in and Radio only. Don't know why they did it that way.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
There are two speakers in the LR and two in the BR that's why I think the wiring is messed up.
Ahh...well that does change things!
So...can you check if all 4 speakers have wires running to them? If not...then my original thoughts apply. If they DO have wire running to them...then my thoughts STILL may apply as the radio STILL can't be hooked up to 6 speakers directly.
What needs to be done next is a continuity check with a multimeter on the two wires attached to the non working living room speaker. At the back side of your radio the plastic plug wiring harness has all of the speaker wire leads (grey, white,green and purple) discussed earlier. It would be here that the coach wiring will be attached and I doubt that they used the same colors so...you have to put one multimeter lead on the wire at the speaker end...and then use the other lead to test for continuity on each of the 8 speaker wires. My guess is that you won't get any and that the speaker leads for the non-working speakers are taped off or loose behind the radio somewhere. Look for 4 wires that end in that space that aren't connected to anything and test THEM for contiinuity and I think you'll find your problem.
The good news...if you do find those leads you can install a secondary A/B speaker switch (Wired Home IWS-AB In-Wall A-B Speaker Switch | 300-571) which will (after you've performed the same exercise with the rear non working speaker) give you the ability to switch between living room and bedroom stereo speakers.
Hope the above is understandable and gives you an idea of how to run this issue down. If not...post again with your questions.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #10

Here is my system. It's a model AWM965

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1393282291070.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	46750  
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #11

Tough getting that into this space!

But your unit is probably the most widely used one and a good choice!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
Somewhat right of center

I have the same unit (AWM914) and can't get the bluetooth to work. I have A (inside) and B speakers (outside). I had to get the manual from the Jensen website since it wasn't included with all the literature. When I get a chance, I'll check how the fader works on mine.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
I have the same unit (AWM914) and can't get the bluetooth to work. I have A (inside) and B speakers (outside). I had to get the manual from the Jensen website since it wasn't included with all the literature. When I get a chance, I'll check how the fader works on mine.
I had to do the same thing IRT the manual. My S3 paired with it away. What I did was put my phone in discovery mode then hit the BT button on AWN914 the phone recognized it right away. Plan to check the speaker connections tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #14
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I had to do the same thing IRT the manual. My S3 paired with it away. What I did was put my phone in discovery mode then hit the BT button on AWN914 the phone recognized it right away. Plan to check the speaker connections tomorrow.
Did you push and hold the BT button down the whole time or just hit it once? The manual says push and hold. I was wondering if hold means a few seconds or the hold the entire time till it pairs.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Mine also has the a,b,c buttons for sound. On our shakedown trip we entertained the neighboring campsite with our movie.
We did that too!! Why is the default ALL speakers ON??? Every time we
go out, I flip on the battery switch and the radio defaults to all on....
Watched a loud shoot -em up movie one night.
Next day was listening to radio, stepped out, hear outside speaker on.
OMG!!
I went across the road to our only neighbor and apologized profusely.
I would have been livid if the shoe were on the other foot...the night
before.
I'll never forget that one!

Our radio then was Concertone which had no speaker indication except on the
screen. You had to cycle thru the speaker options.
At least our Jensen has lighted A B C speaker buttons so you can see at
a glance which are on.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote