Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

Jensen radio

Can anyone tell me how to put a "Kill Switch" on my Jensen Radio unit. I own a 2012 Sterling Wildcat, and have problems with it since Iitvwas about a year old. I bought it.in 2012. It just keeps turning on by it's self. When it first started I called Jensen and was told by their rep that they had problems with that unit and I need to install a kill switch. I went to the FROG International Rally in 2015 and factory rep was there and they replaced the unit. However it has started happening again. I have pushed the reset button on the unit, but it just turns back on. I have resorted to having to pull the fuse every time I am not going to be using my rig. It has become a real PITA. I have decided to give in and instal a "kill Switch" if I can figure out how to do it. Thanks for any help I can get.

Rawhide Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Why not replace the radio with a new radio?

There are other options than the Jensen's...

2015 Heartland Prowler P292 5'ver, Reese 16K Pro Slider Hitch
2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Gasser w/4.10 rear end
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #3

pull the radio, cut the red wire which supplies +12V to the radio, install a switch between the two cut ends... finding an appropriate switch that you can then mount somewhere would be the hard part... Or get another radio installed

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide Man View Post
Can anyone tell me how to put a "Kill Switch" on my Jensen Radio unit. I own a 2012 Sterling Wildcat, and have problems with it since Iitvwas about a year old. I bought it.in 2012. It just keeps turning on by it's self. When it first started I called Jensen and was told by their rep that they had problems with that unit and I need to install a kill switch. I went to the FROG International Rally in 2015 and factory rep was there and they replaced the unit. However it has started happening again. I have pushed the reset button on the unit, but it just turns back on. I have resorted to having to pull the fuse every time I am not going to be using my rig. It has become a real PITA. I have decided to give in and instal a "kill Switch" if I can figure out how to do it. Thanks for any help I can get.
I have not done this on this exact model, but i have done this several times! its super easy. since we are dealing with 12v and pretty low amperage, we only need a 12v switch, get one that lights up, it will have 3 prongs (so you can see if its on or off at a glance, lit for on, off for off). it will handle the full load of the radio. you will need to find the power wire and cut that. we also need to find a ground to tap into.

post the model of your radio if you need help identifying the power and ground.

items needed:
12-18 gauge wire, 3-5 feet total depending on where you mount your switch
soldering skills, heat shrink, solder, etc
butt connectors if not soldering
female and male spade connectors
3 prong lighted switch

the video below shows how to wire a 3 prong switch. then find a spot to mount your switch.

Tags
jensen, radio