Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #1

Jensen replacement for Concertones?

Seems that similar threads are closed, so.........
How is the Jensen AWM975 unit working for folks? Easy install? Is it surround sound (how many speakers?)

I have read elsewhere that it is surround sound with CDs, radio, and DVDs, but not TV. Which is fine with me. Is that the consensus?

I'm getting tired of having to take the faceplate off and extricate DVDs and CDs out of this Concertone in the trailer. As a full-time RVer, this gets old real fast......
TexasCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

The concertone is junk...no surround sound with TV is correct. Can't wait to replace it.
TeamPlumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamPlumlee View Post
The concertone is junk...no surround sound with TV is correct. Can't wait to replace it.
As long as there is surround sound playing DVDs!!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #4

Just an FYI...Furrion is coming out with a new model... the DV3100 that looks like a ground up re-design that would be on my list to take a closer look at. I'm not a fan of either the Mag or the Jensen but prefer the Jensen if those are the only choices. Here' a link to the Furrion introduction: Furrion
I'm still waiting for an HDMI out on anything...but this does have some nice options. Double Din size for anyone interested.

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
DnJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCoyote View Post
Seems that similar threads are closed, so.........

How is the Jensen AWM975 unit working for folks? Easy install? Is it surround sound (how many speakers?)

I have read elsewhere that it is surround sound with CDs, radio, and DVDs, but not TV. Which is fine with me. Is that the consensus?

I'm getting tired of having to take the faceplate off and extricate DVDs and CDs out of this Concertone in the trailer. As a full-time RVer, this gets old real fast......

I replaced the Concertone in my Surveyor with the Jensen AWM975 about a year ago. I had to enlarge the opening a little, but the rest of the installation was fairly easy. It works fine for CDs, DVDs, and TV. Can't say about the surround sound as I only have two speakers. I would like to replace the speakers if anyone has any suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
DnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We have the factory installed 975 in our 2015 Wildcat 282RKX. Our surround sound works with all applications. Button A is the front speakers, B is the rear speakers & C is the outside speakers. You can use one or all in any combination. Can also have TV speaker and SS on at the same time.

My wife talked with the Jensen rep at the 2014 ralley in Goshen and picked up some needed pointers. It has been flawless since we got our unit.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Just an FYI...Furrion is coming out with a new model... the DV3100 that looks like a ground up re-design that would be on my list to take a closer look at. I'm not a fan of either the Mag or the Jensen but prefer the Jensen if those are the only choices. Here' a link to the Furrion introduction: Furrion
I'm still waiting for an HDMI out on anything...but this does have some nice options. Double Din size for anyone interested.

Is this item on market yet? Source for review?
Thanks, need replace of Concertone.

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #8

Not to burst any bubbles, but the Jensen is not surround sound. Surround sound means it is, typically, either 5.1 or 7.1 surround and there is an independent audio source going to each speaker. The Jensen is a 2.0 unit. You can turn on a "rear" set of speakers depending on the layout of your trailer using channel B but you are just duplicating the source signal being fed to the A channel. The only surround sound option I am aware of is the Genesis GT3.0. It features 5.1 surround. With that being said, there are VERY few trailers where surround sound makes ANY sense at all because surround sound doesn't actually work unless you are seated in the correct position- directly in front of the TV- and the speakers are positioned correctly. It would be pretty rare for this to be the case in an RV. About the only instances where YOU would be in the correct location would be a rear or front living layout with TV on the side and the sitting position opposite of it. And even then, the REAR speakers will almost always be positioned on the ceiling in FRONT of you, negating the point of surround sound completely. The Jensen AWM975 does have HDMI out, BTW. As does the Genesis GT3.0. Genesis GT2.0 has only composite (yellow RCA) meaning you are going to be running 480i signal to your fancy 1080p TV, basically watching movies at VCR type resolutions. One nifty feature of the Jensen unit is that it has the capability of adding an IR repeater. This is very helpful if you have a swivel TV as you can install the repeater below the TV and operate the DVD from whatever position the TV is in. No more running into the living area to pause the DVD you were in bed watching to take a call. The Furrion unit LOOKS really good. Would like to see some specs, though. I see a BT button. Really hope it has HDMI. Only A and B zones might hurt it, though, as most campers utilize 3 zones- 2 inside and 1 for outside.

Edit: No bluetooth on the Jensen, fyi.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

Just took a look at the Furrion site and, if it is accurate, they've really not come up with anything I'd be interested in. There is no mention of HDMI output, only RCA. Would you be happy listening to a CD that had the hiss of a tape from the 80's? Neither would I, but that's the audio equivalent of your video experience when running a signal to a hi-def TV through an RCA cable. Also appears as though it does in fact have only 2 zone audio. They reference dual zone video also, but I don't really see much need for that. If someone is in a different area of my RV, that probably means they don't like what I'm watching, right? If someone wants to really knock one out of the park, they need to offer a Bluray player that offers full 1080p via HDMI, 3 zone audio, IR repeater option in a dependable unit. In reality, if the Jensen unit had some firmware tweaks-I experienced a few little issues with mine-, offered bluetooth connectivity and would play Bluray discs, you'd have a great unit.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #10

Dustman...well...kinda hard to tell what it has exactly. Doesn't seem to be for sale yet and instruction manual is not yet on line. I like the looks and an alternative product to the existing ones which I don't like!

Hope that also answers Wanderer's question as well about availability. Suggest writing the company on expected arrival date.
Meanwhile...if you need something TODAY their current model 1200 is available today online and DOES have an HDMI output.
You can see and buy it here: FUR-DV1200 - DV1000 RV series - Stereo Units - Audio Visual

$379...using buy it online button on top right of page.

Install operation manual... http://furrion.com/us/lanotattachmen...id/98/store/3/
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #11

OP here..... The Concertone (x600) is going down quickly. Have to remove the face plates and pull from the wall to extract CDs/DVDs, and won't play CDs at all anymore. Lately have trouble getting FM reception, but that might be more an antenna issue rather than the control unit. Not happy and want to replace soon.

A comment on the surround sound: with my TT layout, two speakers behind me and three in front. It rocks.

Have read a large number of reviews Re: the Jensen 975. ~70% negative. Common complaint is poor quality CD audio. And no subwoofer, which I have with the stock Concertone. My use is DVD and CD (don't watch TV). I'm almost wondering if I might be better just upgrading to a newer Concertone; using most of the same wire system and auxiliaries.

I see that the Genesis 3.0 is no longer available? Is that correct? And what is the general consensus on that model?
Old 12-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCoyote View Post
OP here..... The Concertone (x600) is going down quickly. Have to remove the face plates and pull from the wall to extract CDs/DVDs, and won't play CDs at all anymore. Lately have trouble getting FM reception, but that might be more an antenna issue rather than the control unit. Not happy and want to replace soon.

A comment on the surround sound: with my TT layout, two speakers behind me and three in front. It rocks.

Have read a large number of reviews Re: the Jensen 975. ~70% negative. Common complaint is poor quality CD audio. And no subwoofer, which I have with the stock Concertone. My use is DVD and CD (don't watch TV). I'm almost wondering if I might be better just upgrading to a newer Concertone; using most of the same wire system and auxiliaries.

I see that the Genesis 3.0 is no longer available? Is that correct? And what is the general consensus on that model?

Shows on website.
Concertone® Online Store

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #13

I think it is available- and only $699.95. But, if you want surround sound and multi zone capability with BT, that's your only option, to my knowledge. You should be able to find it cheaper through online retailers, but it will still be pricey.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #14

The Genesis 3.0 is great...when it works. Made in China and difficult to get serviced when it inevitably starts to die. I think the RV builders have stopped putting them in new RVs.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
We have the factory installed 975 in our 2015 Wildcat 282RKX. Our surround sound works with all applications. Button A is the front speakers, B is the rear speakers & C is the outside speakers. You can use one or all in any combination. Can also have TV speaker and SS on at the same time.

My wife talked with the Jensen rep at the 2014 ralley in Goshen and picked up some needed pointers. It has been flawless since we got our unit.
In our Wildcat 31TS 'A' is outside...talk about poor quality control
TeamPlumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamPlumlee View Post
In our Wildcat 31TS 'A' is outside...talk about poor quality control
I've yet to get a camper with the speakers wired correctly. They seem to just hook wires up together. Now that I think about it, the zones are usually correct, but left or right will often be swapped. I think almost all of the 5 speakers that were supposed to be on channel A on the GT3.0 I currently have were wired wrong.

Tags
concertone, replacement