Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

Jensen TVs NOT Supported

A week ago I experienced a failure of the two year old Jensen LCD TV Model# JE5515 installed in our 2017 Cedar Creek 34RL2.

I submitted a support request on the ASA Technical Support Forum web site and today received this reply:

ASATechnical Support Form

Response By Email (Tori Lloyd) (04/22/2019 07:14 AM)
Good Morning Ted
I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your television.
Regrettably the only troubleshooting for this would be to verify the TV is receiving proper power from the source.
Do you have an extended warranty on your RV? This may be the best way to proceed if you do. We do not open televisions or stock any internal parts for them. We are unable to assist you with locating replacement parts. You could check with a TV repair in your area though. It is possible they may have working on a similar unit and saved parts. I wish there was further assistance I could provide you.

Sincerely,
Tori Lloyd
Customer Service
PH: 800- 688-3135
FX: 574-266-1533
ASA Electronics
2602 Marina Drive
Elkhart, Indiana 46514
www.asaelectronics.com

Customer By Service Email (Ted Hammond) (04/18/2019 03:28 PM)
My inquiry is related to: Troubleshooting
Name: Ted Hammond
Email:xxxxxxxxxx
Home Phone:xxxxxxxxxxx
Please contact me by:: Email
Questions or Comments: I have a 2 year old Jensen TV, Model# JE5515. While viewing recently it seemed to turn off, ie; lost sound and the picture went black. However, power was still on.
I have cycled power on/off several times but with power on the display is black and no sound.

What else can I try to restore normal operation?

Who do you suggest to aid in troubleshooting and repair?

If the issue can be identified, where can I purchase replacement parts/boards?

Thank you,

So... This is what Jensen calls "Support"!? I state that the unit was still powered ON but had lost picture and sound and all the "support" they can muster is to check the set is receiving power! No repair/replacement parts, boards, modules available, no recommended local or area repair stations, NOTHING!

A call just now to JensenRVdirect Technical Support Team acknowledged their lack of any kind of support and when asked where I might find some support was wished "good luck in finding someone to help". I then asked if there was contact information available for the parent company, Namsung Electronics, and was told there was not and that the electronics would have to be sent back to China for any repair. Hmm... when I told the woman that Namsung is a KOREAN company the response was... Oh!

A replacement from either of two sources I checked cost right at $700 which is more than twice the price of a popular brand 55 inch set available in most any store or discount outlet selling TVs.

Why does Forest River and other OEMs install overpriced equipment/electronics that have absolutely NO support from day 1 following purchase? GRRRR!!!
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Does anyone fix any brand of TV anymore? I know television repair used to be a thing but anymore once they are out of warranty, people seem to just throw them out and buy a new one.

Also, I have no idea how FR or any other manufacturer chooses what brand of TV to put in their trailers. I believe ours came with a Samsung. I've seen others that came with an LG or a Panasonic. They aren't real consistent.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #3

TV is pretty much a disposable item these days.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

???

What tv manufacturer would you expect to answer a vague troubleshooting request satisfactorily???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #5

Yes, that isn't good. However, it might be time to bite the bullet and get yourself a low-end 55" TV. They go for about $250. They all now come with standard VESA-compliant attachment points. You should be able to use your existing mount with it. Even the bolts are now standard size.

We quickly replaced our with a Samsung. We had to change, because the original did not support QAM cable, which many campgrounds now use. The picture was better, the unit lighter, did not put off as much heat, and it had a built-in QAM receiver.

Good luck!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Does anyone fix any brand of TV anymore? I know television repair used to be a thing but anymore once they are out of warranty, people seem to just throw them out and buy a new one.

Also, I have no idea how FR or any other manufacturer chooses what brand of TV to put in their trailers. I believe ours came with a Samsung. I've seen others that came with an LG or a Panasonic. They aren't real consistent.

TV repair today usually consists of replacing complete board assemblies. There are still some component level techs out there but few and far between. The repair costs have made it economically unwise as a typical repair will be at least $300 and the brand doesn't matter. Many of the unknown brands are so cheap it won't make sense to repair. Some of your lesser brands will offer a flat fee to "exchange" the unit out of warranty. This fee will be less than an outright purchase but may be for a "B" stock unit(some cosmetic damage).

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Enjoying Life

Do not fall for the claim of an "RV TV". The units are no better than any unit you can buy off the shelf from any electronics store. The claim of being better able to withstand shock, temperature, etc. has never been independently tested or verified. The only possible advantage is some work on 12v but that can be easily adapted. Just get one from Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart or wherever and enjoy.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #8

an RV tv is really just one that is designed to be powered by your 12v system, giving you the ability to 'watch' tv while not plugged in.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
TV is pretty much a disposable item these days.
Yup, Televisions are evolving so fast that every 6 months a newer improved model with more features/functions is available. As cheap as they are it is no longer cost effective or economical to repair them. Most only come with a 1 year warranty. Walmart offers a good extended protection plan: $26 for 3 years, $34 for 4 years. Worth the money. If you have their plan you just take your receipt and the inop TV back to the store and they replace it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #10

I just replaced my 2017 50 in. Jensen tv in my cedar creek. Same problem the o.p. has. If your tv is no a lift, you will have to modify the mount for any new t v . They are not anywhere close to match up. Took me 5 hours of swearing and I still don't have it finished. Bought a 4K smart t v. Wish my old t v would have died a long time ago. So much better than the Jensen . Good luck
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

The one guy left in this world who wastes time on TV repair.....And he's an Aussie:

https://youtu.be/XDY2MYzvDIM

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #12

Three years ago, FR offered to replace the tv in my 2011 Georgetown. They brought in the new television but, when I examined it, I discovered that the connections for signal and power were not located where they could be reached from the existing location of all of the cords. This was a minor problem.

The major problem was that the FR technicians were unable to determine how to remove the existing television from its mounting on the wall. The tv isn't mounted on a metal frame and appears to be connected directly to the wall! I believe they mounted it to the wall section then attached the wall section to the internal wall structure. Trim strips around the wall section completed the mounting.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #13

All the Forest River RVs we see these days have Furrow TVs in them ???
Maybe a person could buy a TV from them ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jensen