Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #1

just how level??

I know when parking an RV we're suppose to level it for the refrigerator's sake. I was just wondering how level it needs to be? On our resent trip there was one occassion that I just couldn't get a good level just wasn't possible. I had one person tell me that the refrigerator don't need to be as level these days as they use to be, but to me that leaves a lot to be answered. What do you think???
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Steve Jackson

From what has been said on some of the threads here front to back level is more important than side to side because the way the coils are on the refrigerator
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
From what has been said on some of the threads here front to back level is more important than side to side because the way the coils are on the refrigerator
Depends on where your refer is located.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I've read in the Dometic fridge manual that level should be so that it is comfortable to live in (no noticeable sloping of floors or walls).

So, if I'm not having problems walking or sleeping, its level enough for me

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #5

Oka,y the part about being comfortable level sound right to me. I mean as stated if it's level enough to sleep and live in without a problem of feeling unlevel I think that right.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

If you aren't level, when you have a shower, you can end up with water running off the top of the tub at the faucet end which can run all over the floor.

Happened to us once so now, so if anything, tipping downhill a tiny bit towards the back of our TT is okay since it will ensure water stays off the floor. Depends of course if you have a tub/shower combo and which orientation it is in.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #7

I did notice that once during the trip the water in the shower was pooling on one side alittle but not as bad as you describe.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

hkreck,

Not sure if you have something like this, but I use these to level. The comfort thing from Dometic that I mentioned is just there to show you what the fridge manufacturer requires. These are the practical way to level ...

I placed one on the front passenger side near the edge to level left/right and one on the other side of the edge of the trailer to level front/rear. They work well for me. I've gotten to where I can use them to tell me how many Lynx levelers to use.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #9

Yes I have a couple of these one on the driver door and one center of the over head. They do help like you say once you get use to them you can pretty much tell how many levelers you need and where.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Steve Jackson

While we are on the subject of refrigerators, Is is normal for the freezer to get cold real quick but the refrigerator to get cold slower? Seems like it takes along time to get cold.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
hkreck,

Not sure if you have something like this, but I use these to level. The comfort thing from Dometic that I mentioned is just there to show you what the fridge manufacturer requires. These are the practical way to level ...

I placed one on the front passenger side near the edge to level left/right and one on the other side of the edge of the trailer to level front/rear. They work well for me. I've gotten to where I can use them to tell me how many Lynx levelers to use.
That's what I have and really like them. They work really well when trying to figure how many pads to put under the tires to level the TT.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #12

Have you tried putting a fan in the refrigerator to help with circulation?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
Anacortesians

Triguy:

I did the same when we got our MH. I put a 12" torpedo level in the bottom of the fridge and fiddled with the levelling jacks until it was spot-on in both axes. I then attached two stick-on bubble levels, set to show level in each axis, near the driver's seat, where the leveller controls are.

Our leveller system has an auto function, but it really gets carried away and raises the rig to a ridiculous height. My procedure, with DW's help, is to lower the jacks until the pads just touch the ground. I then raise each pair as little as needed to get the rig level with the minimum of jack extension.

If I can't achieve level within my confort zone, I ask for another site or get a refund and go elsewhere. It has only happend once in three seasons and we got a better site.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Good point, Frank. Its imperative to get it spot on before attaching the bubble levels. I also used your method and spent a lot of time getting the camper level the first time before I stuck on those Hoppy levels. I used a 4' level, checking several places in the camper until just right. Then attached the Hoppys.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
While we are on the subject of refrigerators, Is is normal for the freezer to get cold real quick but the refrigerator to get cold slower? Seems like it takes along time to get cold.

yes...the actual cooling coils are located directly in the freezer...the fridge portion is cooled by a type of "heatsink" fin that get cold from the freezer coils. using a fan on them will help the process.

almost all refrigerators work off of one compressor with cooling coils on the freezer side, and then a fan or other method to transfer cold to the fridge side. Although we did jut get a new fridge for the house that is a dual compressor cooling setup....i cant tell much difference.....they said it would keep the freezer from getting contaminated with smells from the fridge (onion etc)...i suppose it works...lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote