Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

Killed the power somehow

I had the gen on while running the house AC and making coffee in the coffee maker. Then I turned on the micro and lost power to the AC, outlets, and micro. I flipped the circuit breaker (main one) and still no power. Any ideas for what I can check next? Thanks for any help that's out there.
dNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #2

Try your reset on the genny.Probably a overload on it.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:34 AM   #3

"dNice" didn't state that the generator quit so we don't know that at this time. We only know that he/she had the A/C on and was making coffee. He/she then added the microwave and lost power to the A/C, some outlets, and the microwave unit. The OP stated that he/she then "flipped" the main breaker and still no power. BUT--the OP did not state that he/she checked any other breakers and/or fuses. My first thought was that one, or more, branch circuit breakers may have tripped. At this time I would recommend that "dNice" check each breaker and each fuse (if so equipped) to assure that they are all in working order. Personally I prefer to pull each fuse and check them with a multi-meter for continuity.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:40 AM   #4
Just a member

to the forum!

What size/type be your genny? Your RV is...?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dNice View Post
I had the gen on while running the house AC and making coffee in the coffee maker. Then I turned on the micro and lost power to the AC, outlets, and micro. I flipped the circuit breaker (main one) and still no power. Any ideas for what I can check next? Thanks for any help that's out there.
Coffee pot and micro could be the same circuit. AC shouldn't have shut down unless the gen shut off though.

What breaker did you check, gen or converter? On the converter there are more breakers, turn them off and back on and see what happens.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

As others mentioned, check the breakers on your converter.

Depending on your generator, odds are there is a circuit breaker on the genny that you popped.

On my 4k microquite, the breaker is located under the side service cover just to the right of the START/STOP switch.

Look around on your genny. I suspect you popped the breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GeneratorCktBkr_600.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	87428  
Old 08-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
2014 Berkshire 360QL

Check GFCI also. Just hit reset button on each.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

Wow, what a great support community - thank you all for your suggestions!

The RV is a 2016 FR Forester 2501 TSC with an Onan generator. I'm heading over to check the fuses and circuit breaker on the gen right now.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Wow, what a great support community - thank you all for your suggestions!

The RV is a 2016 FR Forester 2501 TSC with an Onan generator. I'm heading over to check the fuses and circuit breaker on the gen right now.
Please let us know what you find.

Jim
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

The Onan has a line circuit breaker like the one depicted in a previous posting. It is designed to trip if the generator loads up and starts to slow down below 60 Hz,which can damage your appliances. Too many consumers when not hooked up to shore power will trip the circuit, and it needs to be reset. If your rig has the option to heat your water with either electricity or LP gas, use the LP and either turn off the electric element at the heater or disengage the circuit breaker. That element is a significant consumer.
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Please let us know what you find.

Jim

The gen turned on and ran for about 5 minutes then completely turned off. The microwave and outlets run off the generator's power and I'm not hooked up to shore power at the storage spot. So I just left.

I'll hook it up to shore power this weekend and see what happens.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #12

I have a 2014 FR3. I lost 110 power from my generator and the problem turned out to be one of the wire nuts came off in the junction box between the generator and the plug for generator power. The Generator ran fine just no power. I did not understand your last post so I do not know if this will help you. good luck.
a054357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #13

Quote:
The gen turned on and ran for about 5 minutes then completely turned off. The microwave and outlets run off the generator's power and I'm not hooked up to shore power at the storage spot. So I just left.

I'll hook it up to shore power this weekend and see what happens.
What size is your generator? It should have something written on it stating something like 3000 watts, 2000 watts? If it is too small you will not be able to run the air conditioner and micro wave, or coffee pot, at the same time. I own a 3000 watt generator and can not run the AC and coffee pot at the same time, if I try it trips the breaker on the generator.

I just shut the air off, make my coffee, then turn the air back on.

Jim
Old 09-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #14

Our generator is an Onan 4000, which means 4000 watts or 4.0 kilowatts, which has a maximum load of 30 amps. When dry camping and running the generator, we learned the hard way that you have to be mindful of the consumers you are using, and allowing the generator adequate time to produce the rated output. If you power up, then let it run for at least two to three minutes before selecting any consumer. Again, be sure that if you are able to heat your water with LP, use that and turn the circuit breaker for the electrical heater off.While on shore power, I have measured the amperage with A/C, water pump (not attached to city water), electrical outlets, refrigerator, and lights at 18 amps, when I turned the electric water heating element on, I was drawing 28 amps, or very near capacity of generator output. If you look at your circuit panel, you might notice that the circuit breaker rating for each system adds up to about 60 amps, or nearly twice generator output in total. Obviously, we never use air conditioning and heat at the same time. But is shows that with proper management, we can use the generator to operate every system in the coach or trailer. One solution is to upgrade the generator to a higher watt rating which increases the available output.
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, power