Old 11-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Landed Safely and am finally all setup!

Thanks all for your well wishes as my wife and I made the move from Boston to Elkhart. We arrived safely and and got the new house all setup and decorated. My wife is amazing!

Unfortunately getting the Internet to work properly took all of last week through yesterday to get it 100%. It took COMCAST three tries to get it right and this was finally due to a tech being willing to take the time to understand the system (including the existing house wiring).

The first two guys left knowing that the signal to my cable modem was weak, but "within specs". What they did not check for was the noise that was on the cable line which was causing the cable modem to disconnect (frequently) making the "new" service essentially unusable.

Finally the 3rd tech took the time to "sniff" the cables. He found a cable outside that was breeched and full of water AND more importantly found that the existing house splitters (the devices that allow you to take one input and create multiple outputs) were NOT digital cable compatible! They worked fine for the cable TV and the HD looked fine and great, but for the sensitive operations of the Internet they were NO GOOD!

BTW, this third tech was at the house for no longer than either of the other two. He was just willing to be open minded and he was committed to finding the actual problem!

This is so relate-able to what happens when our systems are being looked at by a service tech whether it is at your dealer or at an independent shop. They have good intentions, but many are not trained in electronics troubleshooting and they want to get you "fixed up" and out the door asap.

We all need to be patient, open minded and willing to try something even if "it worked before" or "should work" the way it is. This is why I say almost every single time someone is having an issue to verify the wiring to ensure it is hooked up correctly. I know its a "pain", but it is necessary to start from "ground zero".

Thanks again for your well wishes and other than the occasional call to go lift something heavy, I should be around consistently. That is right up until next week when I head back to Boston for the Thanksgiving Holiday! :-)

(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Ditto - on the clueless dealer

When I got my camper home, I quickly discovered the DVD player and the USB port reader's video output was scambled. Several phone calls to the dealer about how to fix the problem resulted in them bad mouthing the Concertone and saying that before they could swap it under warranty, I had to drive an hour to have them "make sure" the symptoms were what I said they were. Not try to fix it, mind you, just verify what I was saying.

Well, before I hooked up and took that drive (as ticked off as I was at the time), I decided to look into the situation deeper. From the little I knew about video (at the time) it was clear my video "systems knowledge" was more than the tech I was talking to.

After a couple of hours with the manual and sifting through all the electronic menus, I discovered the Concertone video output setting was on PAL instead of NTSC. Whether that is a default setting or not I have no idea, but setting it to NTSC fixed my problem.

I still wish it had a high def component (or HDMI) output so the DVDs would play in at least 720p like they are recorded, but maybe in the next camper. We can only hope.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #3

In every field there are those who just do it to make a living and there are those who take pride in their work. If you are lucky enough to meet one of the professionals who take pride in their work and do it because they love it and excel at it, you will always be leaving with a smile on your face.

Good job troubleshooting that herk7769 ! I would never think that these units would be multi system ! Now all I need is buy a multi system lcd tv
Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Bob, congratulations on your successful move, and finally getting back on the world wide web.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Owner - RVtronics

HMDI & Optical will be on next year's models.

I am ALMOST hesitant based on recent comments to mention that we will be offering a trade-in / upgrade program late in the first quarter of next year for those of you who would like to do so. Aw, but what the heck I said! :-)
(781) 281-9440
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Owner - RVtronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Bob, congratulations on your successful move, and finally getting back on the world wide web.
Thanks,
Its good to be back, but after weeks of preparing for a move and a week without reliable internet there is quite a backlog!
(781) 281-9440
Old 11-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

I could be talked into that upgrade!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Owner - RVtronics

Will do when the time is right!
(781) 281-9440
Old 11-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
In every field there are those who just do it to make a living and there are those who take pride in their work. If you are lucky enough to meet one of the professionals who take pride in their work and do it because they love it and excel at it, you will always be leaving with a smile on your face.

Good job troubleshooting that herk7769 ! I would never think that these units would be multi system ! Now all I need is buy a multi system lcd tv
Great saying!!!!!!!! x2 Herk!!

kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote