Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Leaking refrigerator in a Sunseeker

We have a 2014 Sunseeker which we purchased new in 2013.
We are currently having problems with water leaking from the refrigerator.
It is a full size model with an ice maker and the brand is Dometic/Homedic (or something like that).

Over Memorial Day, there was a small water leak from the refrigerator which could be easily cleaned up.
We had the RV serviced in June and the conclusion was that an outside drainage tube was clogged.
Service staff unclogged the tube.

We camped for a week in July and the water leak returned and was much worse.
We could not clean it up and ultimately there was significant damage to the wood below and in front of the refrigerator and a bubble in the flooring.
The RV is currently in the shop and the cause of the problem has not yet been determined.

Has anyone else had similar problems and can offer some advice?
Sue in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maryland View Post
We have a 2014 Sunseeker which we purchased new in 2013.
We are currently having problems with water leaking from the refrigerator.
It is a full size model with an ice maker and the brand is Dometic/Homedic (or something like that).

Over Memorial Day, there was a small water leak from the refrigerator which could be easily cleaned up.
We had the RV serviced in June and the conclusion was that an outside drainage tube was clogged.
Service staff unclogged the tube.

We camped for a week in July and the water leak returned and was much worse.
We could not clean it up and ultimately there was significant damage to the wood below and in front of the refrigerator and a bubble in the flooring.
The RV is currently in the shop and the cause of the problem has not yet been determined.

Has anyone else had similar problems and can offer some advice?
We have the 4-door Dometic, as well, and have only had an issue when the tray (located inside the fridge) has become dislodged. Do you use the icemaker?
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

Leaking refrigerator

Yes, we do use the icemaker.

Prior to a trip, I pre-chill the refrigerator and only put already-cold items in it.
The day of departure I put ice in the camper freezer but with the armature in the up/off position. Once we are at the campground and hook up to water, I put the armature in the down/on position.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #4

Really good chance the drain tube is cracked. The factory tube is cheap, brittle and thin plastic that after a few years turns to dust if it is touched. I replaced mine with good poly tube that is clear so I can make sure I have a water trap too.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:36 AM   #5

Will check that out.
Thanks.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Dump some water in the drain pan below the fins and see where the water goes,,,,if it exits outside from the drain-tube and nothing gets on the floor of the fridge or your living floor, that's probably not a problem,,,,,,,,then check your water supply to the icemaker.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #7

Our '16 began leaking halfway thru last season. Dometic tech & Sunseeker factory guys (@ rally last year)slid it out (4 door w/ice maker) found the drain line was not draining right..they realigned the hose & reset the fridge and it has been fine since...
Old 09-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #8

Leaking refrigerator

The fix in June was to "unclog" the drain tube.

The service folks called yesterday to say that they found that the water valve to the ice maker was cracked and they are replacing it.

We discussed possible causes for this failure including proper winterizing.
As our first couple of ice batches are pink, I am pretty sure we had that covered.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #9

It might be as simple as the end of the drain tube has become dislodged and is higher than the entry point of the water drain. Locate the discharge end and check for that possibility.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

I have a leak due to a brittle drain tube. How do I attach a new and better tube? Thanks
JHurtgen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, refrigerator, sunseeker