Old 06-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Leaving a refrigerator plugged in, at a year-round site.

I just recently decided to keep a site for a year, It has electric & water. My question is is it okay to leave the refrigerator plugged in for extended times (summer until fall). I have heard different opinions, but would like to hear the data or theory behind the opinion.
I have a 2017 Greywolf 26RR Toyhauler.
Thanks!

Fusefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #2

I had a 5th wheel for 9 years with an RV fridge. We kept it plugged in and the fridge on 24/7. I now have a rig with a residential fridge, same thing we keep it plugged in and on.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

When we had a seasonal site our fridge was on from April 15th to October 15th. Never had a problem in 10 years.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

We have a 5th wheel on an annual site in Arizona (it stays there) and we are there for 6+ months in the winter. The fridge costs about $40/mo to run so when we leave for the summer, I shut off all power to the 5th wheel. But I see not a lot of risk of leaving the fridge running 24/7 outside of a possible leak/fire with no one around to maybe smell ammonia before a fire.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I have an absorption type refrigerator in my garage (take out from a used R/V) that has been plugged in to electric running 24/7 for 20 years. Works perfect.

One thing to consider if you plan to keep perishable items in your refrigerator when leaving it plugged in while away... and... I don't see where your mentioned whether your refrigerator is residential or absorption...if absorption, you might want to consider switching the control to AUTO and leave the gas supply ON.

That way if the power goes out at wherever you are parked, the refrigerator will switch (automatically) to LP operation and keep the food from spoiling. If all you plan to keep in there while gone are beverages, then it really doesn't matter.

And of course, if it is a residential type refrigerator you have no auto switch-over choice.

Either way, you might want to get an ice cube tray and freeze ice cubes. Once frozen, place a penny on top of one of the ice cubes. Upon your next visit, look to see if the ice melted and the penny sank. If it sank, throw away all your perishable items.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #6

My 2014 Shamrock is always powered up ( ammonia type) and fridge works great now for about 4 years running. Only time unplugged is when traveling. I keep everything cold, usually beverages, ketchup, relish, etc. and a couple 1/2 gallon water jugs frozen in freezer. Fridge actually stays pretty cold for the two+ days I may travel with it off. Enough so that the ice jugs are still mostly frozen. Of course I don't travel with ice cream in the freezer... and I don't live in TX...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
Dahagen

Why not give the food to someone who could use it and turn the fridge off for the time you are gone. I am not sure I would want to eat something that has been in the fridge for 6 months.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

Just my opinion, but for storage longer than a few weeks I disconnect the shore power and turn off the propane. I connect a small battery maintainer to each battery bank.

Less chance of power surge damage to the electrical system, or fire from the propane system.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #9

We are not seasonal but open up the Moho come spring and it stays on till we close it down and winterized in fall. Always on auto and plugged in here behind the garage, going down the road or plugged into usually electric only camping sites. Never a problem over three rigs in the last 15 years.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Why not give the food to someone who could use it and turn the fridge off for the time you are gone. I am not sure I would want to eat something that has been in the fridge for 6 months.
Where did I miss that the food was going to be in the fridge for 6 months?

I understood the question to be asking could they leave the refrigerator on (summer to fall) without issues. Nowhere did I read they wouldn't be visiting their R/V during that period.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator