Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #1

Led lights are too bright and too harsh

We purchased our camper new last year and one thing that has bothered me a lot is how bright and harsh the LED lights are.

This is especially troublesome when you lie down in bed to read and you have this bright thing shining right in your eyes.

In my unit, I can manage it a bit by turning individual lights on/ off with a switch but the problem is pervasive and the best solution is to shut off all the lights except one that is located inside a cabinet.

Obviously my lights are the cheapest you can buy, so I will likely replace them.

I don't really have a question cause I think I know that I want to replace them or add new ones in different locations. Mostly I just wanted to rant!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8556.jpg
Views:	7578
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	199996  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

To each his own...

I replaced the old bulbs in mine and put in the brighter, whiter LED bulbs so I could actually see things in the camper.

These guys sell replacement fixtures in different light outputs... check them out

M4 Products

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #3

Some put diffusers in between the lens and the LEDs. Or install some dimmers from Amazon.

"Cheapest possible" has nothing to do with it, imo.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 PM   #4

I buy the warmest LEDs I can buy. 3000K is the highest I will ever get.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I buy the warmest LEDs I can buy. 3000K is the highest I will ever get.
X2 for home and camper!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfly View Post
We purchased our camper new last year and one thing that has bothered me a lot is how bright and harsh the LED lights are.

This is especially troublesome when you lie down in bed to read and you have this bright thing shining right in your eyes.

In my unit, I can manage it a bit by turning individual lights on/ off with a switch but the problem is pervasive and the best solution is to shut off all the lights except one that is located inside a cabinet.

Obviously my lights are the cheapest you can buy, so I will likely replace them.

I don't really have a question cause I think I know that I want to replace them or add new ones in different locations. Mostly I just wanted to rant!

Please tell me you removed the diffusers and you're not using the lights that way. [emoji33]

The stock lights are pretty harsh. We use the under cabinet one when cooking, the ceiling ones when cleaning and a soft white lamp from home for relaxing inside.

There was a thread on here, but dont remember where, about someone who had made small shades for the ceiling lights that softened the glare a little.

The only way to really get them warmer is replace with 2700k to 3000k fixtures.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:33 AM   #7

I bought two mode LED lamps from Amazon:
AutoEC LED Dome Light, 2 Color Mode 12V LED RV Ceiling Dome Light Fixture, Interior Replacement Light for RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Boat
2 Mode Fashionable Design --- The Dome Light with on-off-on switch, can change the color from pure white to warm white, give you different feel. Warm white light output provides a cozy illuminated environment just like home.
I have six installed & control the color mode with a wall switch.

Name:	20180930_202319.jpg
Views:	7848
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	200013

Name:	20180930_202342.jpg
Views:	7714
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	200014

Now Amazon is also selling 3-mode LED lamps:
Leisure LED 2 Pack RV Ceiling Double Dome Light Fixture 3 Color Mode Switch Interior Lighting Car/RV/Trailer/Camper/Boat DC 12V Warm/Natural/Cool White
Leisure LED Multi-Color Double Dome LED Light Fixture has 72, 2835 SMD. 11-18V Super Bright - 3 Mode Switch Warm White 3500K, Natural White 4500K, Cool White 6500K (36 SMD, per panel, one panel each dome)
Innovative Tri-Color Changeable Lamp. Choose and change the mood with the flip of a switch! Switch on, it is Warm White, Switch on and off again, it is bright Cool White, switch again and it is Natural (Neutral) White, switch off again and it is OFF. Warm White gives the space a homey atmosphere. Natural White is closest to day light. Cool White is for the High Tech Office look, with an Intense White Light.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #8

I can deal with the brighter light, but I wish FR would listen and stay away from using "BLUE" accent lighting under the awning and inside the TT. I'm going to tear into mine and see if these are RBG LED strips and see if I can reconfigure the wires to a different color.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #9
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

My camper always seems dark so I have been searching and buying the brightest LED I can find. I need a few of those round ones like you posted pictures of.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
AutoEC LED Dome Light, 2 Color Mode 12V LED RV Ceiling Dome Light Fixture, Interior Replacement Light for RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Boat
2 Mode Fashionable Design --- The Dome Light with on-off-on switch, can change the color from pure white to warm white, give you different feel. Warm white light output provides a cozy illuminated environment just like home.
Attachment 200013

Attachment 200014

Leisure LED 2 Pack RV Ceiling Double Dome Light Fixture 3 Color Mode Switch Interior Lighting Car/RV/Trailer/Camper/Boat DC 12V Warm/Natural/Cool White
Leisure LED Multi-Color Double Dome LED Light Fixture has 72, 2835 SMD. 11-18V Super Bright - 3 Mode Switch Warm White 3500K, Natural White 4500K, Cool White 6500K (36 SMD, per panel, one panel each dome)
Innovative Tri-Color Changeable Lamp. Choose and change the mood with the flip of a switch! Switch on, it is Warm White, Switch on and off again, it is bright Cool White, switch again and it is Natural (Neutral) White, switch off again and it is OFF. Warm White gives the space a homey atmosphere. Natural White is closest to day light. Cool White is for the High Tech Office look, with an Intense White Light.
Can you still run those off the wall switch?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #11

Led lights are too bright and too harsh

I really like that our rig can be like daylight when all the lights are on. We have had trailers in the past that you could not get enough light into as Electra glide points out. Our Chaparral is great in that regard. The lights that are in our rig are Dream Lighting 12volt LED Dome Light for RV Trailer Boat Interior Cabin Kitchen Overhead Downlights-4.5inch Ceiling light Fixture, Warm White, Pack of 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ODSAY24..._kCmNCbXQDYVQ3
Highly recommended

That said, while the color of light is warm (2700k-3000k as noted above) there is just no way to get it soft enough to watch a movie. I hate bright lights when trying to relax.

This dimmer does the trick (ie, I can dim down to like 10% so its perfect for mood lighting. R106 Single Color LED Light Strip Controller with RF Remote - Reliable PWM Dimming and Control Options for LED Light Strips, Tape Lights, and other 12V DC LEDs (CTR-R106S) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QKVVUZ2..._TsmNCbEN0DG7Z

I chose it since it was easy to hide in the wall behind the light switch. I Velcro’d the remote near the existing light switch. The only downside to this product is when I bring the trailer out of storage and reconnect the battery, the dimmer automatically turns the light on (I wish it would default to OFF). That said, its a minor inconvenience.

Others have suggested these dimmers as well.
12 Volt DC Dimmer for LED, Halogen, Incandescent - RV, Auto, Truck, Marine, and Strip Lighting - LONG SHAFT - BLACK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4UBMY6..._yvmNCbMGKWXHP

Facon 12Volt DC Touch Dimmer Switch Use with LED lights, Incandescent and Halogen Bulbs for RV, Camper, Marine, and Strip Lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072349JZN..._jwmNCb594WDMW
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Chaps, that dimmer looks nice. Did you just connect it in series behind the light switch? I have a master light switch in a panel with all the other controls.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #13

My 65 yr old eyesight is dimming with age so it's nice to have bright lights in my new Surveyor. I have the same cheap LED fixtures.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #14

If you are going to do a dimmer, look for a PWM dimmer. If that dimmer shown in the previous post is 3 wire, then it is fine, just a little pricey. If it's a 2 wire, you don't want that type. Also, be aware, with any PWM dimmer, you will need a ground. If there is no ground near your present light switch, you will need to find one.

Also, there is a difference between a bright light and a light that has a really high temp value that is more harsh and borders on blue. You can get brighter(higher output) lights in a warm temp color.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #15

What you have now is around a 4,000 to 5,000 range daylight white. Warm white is more in the incondescent (more yellow) range of color. Unfortunately, with the fixtures you have , the LEDs can not be changed. So, if changing fixtures, buy fixtures that have replaceable LEDs. Then determine the light level you prefer. If an LED fails, it can be replaced without replacing the fixture.

There has been some recent information that LEDs advertised as lasting a life time have been determined to have much lower life span. These LED manufacturers are building in a lesser life expectancy. It stands to reason that they want repeat customers.

Some here are suggesting a dimmer. However, a dimmer will not change the daylight white to a soft white. It will only dim. Also, if considering the dimmer idea, make certain that the LED fixtures you have are dimmable. If not, they may flicker and will shut off before being fully dimmed.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #16

I'm a veteran of commercial broadcast TV.
They make thin plastic filter material for studio lights that are pumping out 1000 watts of halogen heat and light. This stuff may not be up to those standards, but neither are your 1.5 watt LED bulbs. Note the color temperature shift options...4 to choose from.

All you have to do is cut this stuff to fit inside the lens on your lights and leave it there. It will last for years without melting or cracking.

Experiment with a larger red shift in the sleeping areas and bathroom and less shift in the kitchen/dining area. The selection in the Lee kit allows for that.

Note that Rosco, a brand I used for years, is available below the Lee product description. Rosco filters were a budget line item in my department.

Poke about a bit and you'll find filter material in the right color to slightly shift your blue light (about 6000 degrees kelvin - a color temperature of light) to the red end of the spectrum (about 3000 degrees kelvin). If you consult a professional technical supply, they can spec the right filter for a certain amount of color shift. Moving to the red end of the spectrum will not only make the color temperature more pleasant, it will cut down on glare and overall light output. Personally, I'd buy the Lee kit and experiment.

By all means, consider new "bulbs" or fixtures, but for $25, you'll have enough filter material to do the job 5 times over. Just a thought.

P.S. Double-up on the filter to both cut light output and increase color shift. Mix and match a darker filter with a lighter filter to tailor the effect.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Attachment 200013

Attachment 200014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
Can you still run those off the wall switch?
Yes, I have six AutoEC LED Dome Lights installed. Three are off the wall switch in the front. I turn the switch on & the light come on bright, Switch off & on and the lights are warm. The other three are in the bedroom & bathroom wall switches.

Sounds like the Leisure LED Multi-Color LED Light Fixtures work the same way.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #18

Dimmers

Our main lights were way too bright. First verified with the dealer that the LED’s were dimmable. Amazon sells a small dimmer (about 1 inch square) that fit nicely in the switch cut out. Turn it on about half way...perfect! If your having wiring issues the manufacture will help you figure it out. Made by PCA Electronics, 12 Volt Dimmer for LED, $29.95.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:57 PM   #19

Someone said that they put a coffee filter over the LED spot light that was shining in their eyes. Haven't tried it yet, but I understand what you're talking about.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #20

so your model doesn't have the Plex dimming panel I take it?

I have to admit they did a nice job on the I5, the two led's above the master bed are a warmer color and dimmer. That one they thought out.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light