Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

light on water heater switch

I have a 2011 Rockwood Signature Lite 8280 WS. The switch on the control panel for the propane water heater has a blue light in the switch that normally illuminates when the water heater is switched on. Next to the switch is the DSI fault indicator that is red and only comes on if the water heater fails to ignite.

The blue light is no longer illuminating. It appears to have just gone off while the water heater was turned on... When I first turned the water heater on, the light came on as normal. Two days later I noticed that the light was not lit.

The water heater appears to be working ok... If i run the kitchen sink for a while with hot water, I can hear the water heater fire up to heat the water.

Is there a reason for the light to be off? Does it indicate a low propane concition, for example? I am assuming the LED (bulb) inside the switch has just failed. But I would like to know if there is more to it than that. The fault lit is not lit... And, again, it appears the water heater is working.

Ralph
RalphArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #2

Does the light come back on when you hear the water heater fire up? I know, not any help, just curious
Old 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

No the light is off all the time now... Again, is used to be lit whenever the switch was on.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #4

Burnt out lite bulb.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

That is what I was thinking... But I was sure if whether there could be more to it than that.

Any idea how one would change the bulb in the switch?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArm View Post
No the light is off all the time now... Again, is used to be lit whenever the switch was on.
Those rocker switches come in multiple colors and usually illuminate when the switch is "on". They are fragile and do not last for a long time, based on the time they are illuminated. I've had the flicker and then eventually fail. They can be matched on the net for a couple dollars each and install by pressing into the panel. There is no other function for this type of switch.

Look up "lighted rocker switch", there's lots to pick from.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

Ralph,

Same thing happened to one of the illuminated switches in my 2012 V-Lite. The switch worked fine but the bulb inside burned out.

When I was at the 2012 FROG Rally in Goshen, I asked the service tech to take a look at the switch. Rather than replacing the one switch, he replaced all of the illuminated switches in my control panel with newer LED versions. Nice!

All you need to do is replace the switch.
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, light, water, water heater