Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Lighting question - problem? Cherokee 25RR

The issue is with the very front overhead lights. One is the light on the curved front which is over the bed. The other is the overhead light to the right of the door as you come in.

The problem is that if I have either one on and turn on the other they both dim noticeably. I can turn on every other light in the camper and this doesn't happen. A short maybe? Wired in series? Each light by itself seems to be same brightness as the others but when I turn both (of the front two) they dim.

I've tried this numerous times with all possible combination of lights in the camper and none of the other lights experience this.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

I would look for a disconnected ground wire in one of the two lights that are dimming.

It appears that when both lights are on, the ground is being made by the other light, yes, effectively putting the two lights in series.

RodeoGeorge

Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
I would look for a disconnected ground wire in one of the two lights that are dimming.

It appears that when both lights are on, the ground is being made by the other light, yes, effectively putting the two lights in series.

RodeoGeorge
Each light has a ground wire? Yeah, I'm part of the unwashed masses.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

Yes, each light "should" have two wires connected to it. The 12 Volt line and a Ground.

If you remove the lenses, and then the screws holding the fixture into the ceiling, you should be able to gently pull the light away from the ceiling and the two wires normally go up through a hole in the ceiling and attach to the two wires mentioned above. Pull the light gently so that you so not pull the connections apart.

If both connections are good to both lights, then there is most likely a wiring issue up in the ceiling.

RodeoGeorge