Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Loud Ac pressure release noise

I was sitting outside our 19' Shamrock expandable when all of a sudden the air conditioner let out a very loud noise. It sounded like pressure was suddenly being released. It lasted about three seconds. All the surrounding camp sites heard it - it was really loud. I went inside and checked the air conditioner. The air conditioner had been turned off but the person doing it had set the switch so it was between High Cool and Low Cool. In this state the unit was off but the switch was not in the off state. I turned the air conditioner on and it seemed to be working fine. The air had been running for most of the day and had been off for maybe half an hour prior to the noise. Has anybody ever experienced this before. Does anybody know what it might have been.
rtotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #2

Update: the air conditioner seemed to be working right after it made the noise since it was still cold from running, but the next morning it would not blow cold air. Seems something blew and the pressurized refrigerant escaped - which was what the noise was. Fortunately it is still under warrantee.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtotton View Post
Fortunately it is still under warrantee.
Under the circumstances, that's about the best you can hope for.

RV A/C units are typically manufactured without service valves, and they (Schrader valves) must be added to be able to add refrigerant after fixing the leak.

Though it IS possible to fix them properly, it takes some specialized talents to do so, and most RV shops don't have the skill or equipment to do so.

For your future's sake, I hope they just replace yours, paying careful attention to getting the roof sealed properly.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #4

Thanks Pop. Yes, they are replacing it - a new unit was ordered today.