Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,531
LPG/CO Detector issue

How many of you have been waken in the middle of the night with the LPG/CO detector screaming a warning? You jump out of bed, open vents and windows, turn on vent fan, and reset the alarm. A minute later it goes off again.

The furnace isn't running, the stove is off, the water heater isn't running, you don't smell propane, but the damned alarm is still making a racket no mater what you do to reset it.

When this happened to me on my latest trip it was showing a CO warning. Strangely though the Kidde CO/Smoke Detector I had installed on the ceiling to replace the $1.98 Smoke detector that the factory installed was totally silent. Since CO is lighter than air I couldn't figure out why the detector mounted near the floor was showing a CO warning but the ceiling mounted on was silent.

My solution was simple. Screw driver and diagonal cutters. Back to sleep although in a sleeping bag as the furnace was now shut off.

In researching when I got home it seems like I'm not the only one who has had the MTI combination Safe T Alert CO/Propane detector wake them up in the middle of the night.

My long term solution was to order a LPG only detector to replace the POS combination unit the factory installed.

I found one comment online that was amusing. Seems that the detector, according to this person, is sensitive to dog farts and hair spray.

Another complaint is that the detectors have an internal "clock" that causes them to go into continuous alarm state after 5 years. The one in my trailer is less than 3 years old. The new one I just received was manufactured in Nov 2018 so I guess I need to save up another $50 over the next 4 years and 9 months

Any others have this issue? What did you end up doing, just replacing with a like unit or install separate units, one for LPG at the floor and a CO detector at the ceiling. Personally it makes little sense to combine as LPG is heavier than air and will collect at floor level and CO is lighter, collecting at ceiling level.
__________________

__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 42
LPG/co issue

I have a 2017 Pursuit 30fw, and mine will go off when the house batteries get low (dry camping).
__________________

scotttkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
How many of you have been waken in the middle of the night with the LPG/CO detector screaming a warning? You jump out of bed, open vents and windows, turn on vent fan, and reset the alarm. A minute later it goes off again.

The furnace isn't running, the stove is off, the water heater isn't running, you don't smell propane, but the damned alarm is still making a racket no mater what you do to reset it.

When this happened to me on my latest trip it was showing a CO warning. Strangely though the Kidde CO/Smoke Detector I had installed on the ceiling to replace the $1.98 Smoke detector that the factory installed was totally silent. Since CO is lighter than air I couldn't figure out why the detector mounted near the floor was showing a CO warning but the ceiling mounted on was silent.

My solution was simple. Screw driver and diagonal cutters. Back to sleep although in a sleeping bag as the furnace was now shut off.

In researching when I got home it seems like I'm not the only one who has had the MTI combination Safe T Alert CO/Propane detector wake them up in the middle of the night.

My long term solution was to order a LPG only detector to replace the POS combination unit the factory installed.

I found one comment online that was amusing. Seems that the detector, according to this person, is sensitive to dog farts and hair spray.

Another complaint is that the detectors have an internal "clock" that causes them to go into continuous alarm state after 5 years. The one in my trailer is less than 3 years old. The new one I just received was manufactured in Nov 2018 so I guess I need to save up another $50 over the next 4 years and 9 months

Any others have this issue? What did you end up doing, just replacing with a like unit or install separate units, one for LPG at the floor and a CO detector at the ceiling. Personally it makes little sense to combine as LPG is heavier than air and will collect at floor level and CO is lighter, collecting at ceiling level.
CO is lighter but it defuses through out the air column . many times the Co detectors will get dust , spray from air FRESHENERS , deodorants etc causing them to go bad early
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
How many of you have been waken in the middle of the night with the LPG/CO detector screaming a warning? You jump out of bed, open vents and windows, turn on vent fan, and reset the alarm. A minute later it goes off again.

The furnace isn't running, the stove is off, the water heater isn't running, you don't smell propane, but the damned alarm is still making a racket no mater what you do to reset it.

When this happened to me on my latest trip it was showing a CO warning. Strangely though the Kidde CO/Smoke Detector I had installed on the ceiling to replace the $1.98 Smoke detector that the factory installed was totally silent. Since CO is lighter than air I couldn't figure out why the detector mounted near the floor was showing a CO warning but the ceiling mounted on was silent.

My solution was simple. Screw driver and diagonal cutters. Back to sleep although in a sleeping bag as the furnace was now shut off.

In researching when I got home it seems like I'm not the only one who has had the MTI combination Safe T Alert CO/Propane detector wake them up in the middle of the night.

My long term solution was to order a LPG only detector to replace the POS combination unit the factory installed.

I found one comment online that was amusing. Seems that the detector, according to this person, is sensitive to dog farts and hair spray.

Another complaint is that the detectors have an internal "clock" that causes them to go into continuous alarm state after 5 years. The one in my trailer is less than 3 years old. The new one I just received was manufactured in Nov 2018 so I guess I need to save up another $50 over the next 4 years and 9 months

Any others have this issue? What did you end up doing, just replacing with a like unit or install separate units, one for LPG at the floor and a CO detector at the ceiling. Personally it makes little sense to combine as LPG is heavier than air and will collect at floor level and CO is lighter, collecting at ceiling level.

Were you looking at the date on the back of the old one or the age of you rig?

Yes, dog farts will do it.

Batteries charged? low voltage will do it also.
__________________
2002 27rk Wildcat 5er.
Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Retired Master Electrician.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Were you looking at the date on the back of the old one or the age of you rig?

Yes, dog farts will do it.

Batteries charged? low voltage will do it also.
According to my battery monitor (Victron) battery charge has never gone below 50% and voltage never lower than 12 V. According to MTI spec's, 8 volts is the trigger point.

As for air fresheners, I believe in keeping the things that cause bad odors cleaned up/out and don't use air fresheners. If I want a fresh smell in the trailer I either do a pot roast or bake bread
__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
According to my battery monitor (Victron) battery charge has never gone below 50% and voltage never lower than 12 V. According to MTI spec's, 8 volts is the trigger point.

As for air fresheners, I believe in keeping the things that cause bad odors cleaned up/out and don't use air fresheners. If I want a fresh smell in the trailer I either do a pot roast or bake bread
Air fresheners, deodorant, anything that sprays . was just giving examples of what can ruin a co/propane alarm .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Air fresheners, deodorant, anything that sprays . was just giving examples of what can ruin a co/propane alarm .
What's interesting is that my 1995 Terry had a very similar LPG (only) detector installed from the factory. I used to test it by holding a disposable lighter next to it without lighting the flame. The butane would set the alarm off every time and it still worked when I sold the trailer 22 years later.

NOW, I find that the detector is only good for 5 years (according to MTI). What changed? Old one worked for 22 years when tested with actual gas yet now I have to buy one every 5 years?

All I ever did to the old one was to run the vacuum cleaner nozzle over the grille a couple times per year to keep it clean.
__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
What's interesting is that my 1995 Terry had a very similar LPG (only) detector installed from the factory. I used to test it by holding a disposable lighter next to it without lighting the flame. The butane would set the alarm off every time and it still worked when I sold the trailer 22 years later.

NOW, I find that the detector is only good for 5 years (according to MTI). What changed? Old one worked for 22 years when tested with actual gas yet now I have to buy one every 5 years?

All I ever did to the old one was to run the vacuum cleaner nozzle over the grille a couple times per year to keep it clean.
It's called made in china . the sensors are more delicate now that you can buy a new one every 5 yrs . I say a canary works just as good , well almost
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
It's called made in china . the sensors are more delicate now that you can buy a new one every 5 yrs . I say a canary works just as good , well almost
Don't know about others but my nose is pretty good for sniffing leaking propane. I can even smell the mercaptan after having tanks filled and driving home with absolutely NO leakage, just the residual smell.

Oh well, at my age I guess I need to worry more about just being around 5 years from now and having to replace the detector
__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
It's called made in china . the sensors are more delicate now that you can buy a new one every 5 yrs . I say a canary works just as good , well almost
Your post made me dig the package for the new sensor out and check country of origin. Says "Made in USA" right on the front.
__________________

__________________
I have it on my dog's authority that an afternoon nap is acceptable.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.