Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
Navy Junior

Magnadyne M4-LCD screen blank

I have an M4-LCD in my 2014 Sunseeker. It has operated OK since I have owned the coach. This past week I was checking systems in preparation for an early spring shake down cruise.
I tried to use the radio and am not seeing any screen indications at all. The little embedded green lights on its top frame light up when I press the "NAV/ON" and I can hear a "thunk" sound coming from the speakers. I can insert and eject DVDs but still nothing else (so I am certain I have 12v). No matter what I do I get no screen indications so I can't even change functions.

Can someone give me advice on a different thread to discuss this or should I just give in and buy a new replacement radio/DVD/mapping/bluetooth etc.. device
SunSeeker 3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Did you try the "straightened paper clip" reset? As I remember, lower left corner of the front panel (I replaced my Magnadyne a few years ago, so memory might be rusty...).

Also, as I remember the Magnadyne has two 12 volt power connections. In addition mine was wired using a small external circuit added by Forest River to enable the radio to play off the chassis battery if the coach main switch was turned off, and off the coach batteries normally. Something (like a loose wire or a blown fuse) in these power connections might cause a fault such as you described. I think some of the related fuses (and the external circuit board) were in-line in the wires behind the Magnadyne.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
Navy Junior

Thanks J. I forgot to mention above I did the front reset a few times and checked the radio's 15 amp fuse on the back of the radio. I did not find the 1amp fuse mentioned in the M4 book. I also did not find a fuse on the coach's fuse panel for the radio though I know there must be one. I pulled the whole unit and the spaghetti of wires. Nothing obvious yet. Getting ready to crack the case open.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Check for 12 volts on both power lines at the radio?
Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Topspud

Magnadyne

you might go here and see if they have some assist:
http://www.magnadyne.com/products-18...np-m4-lcd.html

or call 310-735-2000
Topspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #6

My Magnadyne Experience...

My coach came with a Magnadyne GPS head unit. I've had my coach for 4 summers now, and I'm on my 4th Magnadyne receiver. I've had GPS failures, camera display failures, and many system lockups. The Bluetooth connection is incredibly unreliable. My latest new unit was installed 2 months ago, and it's already having failures...

All the replacements have been covered by the factory and extended warranties, but I'm just tired of fooling with it. Plus, it tends to malfunction at the worst possible times. I'm just worried about being distracted coping with a malfunction while driving, and then having an accident as a result.

So, I'm in the market for a new headunit. I'm thinking Pioneer, Alpine or the like. We had Alpines in our old SUVs that were still working perfectly at 11 and 12 years old when we sold the vehicles. I just need to find something that will handle 4 cameras, and have a much nicer user interface.
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:19 AM   #7

FWIW, try this from the manual...

Reset:
1. Press the button to reveal more setup features. 2. Type “5365” as the passcode then press the
button.
3. The unit will reset the radio area and wallpaper
to factory default settings.

Did you check the fuse in the lower right rear when looking at the radio from the back?
Replaceable Fuse
If the fuse should blow, check that the wiring is correct. If the wiring is correct, replace the fuse with the same amperage rating as the original (15 amp).
15 Amp Replaceable Fuse

Someone once mentioned that the remote control had a stuck button. Remove the battery of the remote and see what happens.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #8
Navy Junior

Tried all the suggestions with no joy. I ended up calling the Magnadyne tech desk. It turns out that the LCD screen has failed. $200 fix plus $50 handling. So I've decided to replace with an M3 since the Maps on the M4 was never used. Replacement with the M3 also is a quicker replacement than going with a different radio brand.
I'll let you all know my success when I install the M3
Thanks again for being my sound board.
Pat
Old 02-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSeeker 3050 View Post
Tried all the suggestions with no joy. I ended up calling the Magnadyne tech desk. It turns out that the LCD screen has failed. $200 fix plus $50 handling. So I've decided to replace with an M3 since the Maps on the M4 was never used. Replacement with the M3 also is a quicker replacement than going with a different radio brand.
I'll let you all know my success when I install the M3
Thanks again for being my sound board.
Pat
That stinks, it should have lasted longer than that.

FWIW, I have seen screens ruined because people punch them instead of tapping and some use a pen as a stylus to poke the screen buttons.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
Navy Junior

Received the M3 unit yesterday. This was an unexpected breeze to install. I truly thought I'd run into at least a couple of roadblocks, but no issues at all. I even get to retire my homemade coat hanger installation tools, as new tools were sent with the new M3. Reception is good, screen works and all other functions seem normal.
Just goes to show you, nothing can't be improved with the application of $$$.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSeeker 3050 View Post
Received the M3 unit yesterday. This was an unexpected breeze to install. I truly thought I'd run into at least a couple of roadblocks, but no issues at all. I even get to retire my homemade coat hanger installation tools, as new tools were sent with the new M3. Reception is good, screen works and all other functions seem normal.
Just goes to show you, nothing can't be improved with the application of $$$.
Good to hear your issue is resolved.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:25 PM   #12

Now that you've fixed yours �� That's great! Mine has everything working except all three cameras. Done all the resets, etc. replaced the two amp fuse. Followed wires to no avail. Does anyone know where the cameras get their power? I thought maybe there is another junction box but other than the plugs I can't locate one. Mirrors adjust,etc. Maybe the unit itself crapped out all the cameras, but that seems off. The unit shows each camera but they all say "no signal".
Old 02-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #13

The cameras are powered through the headunit on the same connector as the video. I connected a 4th camera to the system, and all I had to do was plug into a connector coming out of the back of the unit (OK, after I purchased an adapter from Magnadyne to convert the camera connections to their harness).

I also had a failure on my unit where all the video went away. Ended up putting a new headunit in (at least it was under warranty)
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote